Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2015, 10:35 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Sixy* View Post
I almost always wear a skirt or dress to work because I find them much more comfortable than pants.

I have a short inseam, wider hips and a small waist so buying pants is just a pain in the rear. I always have to have them hemmed and taken in which just adds to the cost.

I find dresses super easy to wear too...no need to coordinate or match anything other than a cardigan.
Exactly! So easy to throw on a dress!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2015, 11:21 AM

10,093 posts, read 6,433,756 times
I wore dresses and business suits for SO many years when I was working, especially the last 22+ years working for the Navy. In my last job it was particularly important that I look really nice every day because I never knew if I would be called to the front office for a conversation with the Admiral or his deputy. I just would never show up there in pants unless it was a 3-piece suit, and dresses were easier. However, as soon as I retired, I gave all my "businesswear" to Goodwill and have happily lived in jeans since then, with a couple pairs of "nice" slacks and one skirt for the occasional funeral. There's simply no place to go where I live that necessitates dressing up!

Old 10-28-2015, 10:48 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,140,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
I enjoy wearing dresses that are comfortable and flattering. Wearing a dress doesn't mean you have to bare shoulders and cleavage. I think the women who don't like wearing dresses EVER hasn't had one that looks really good on them. I don't think it matters the body type, there's something for everyone.
It definitely matters the body type. I'm tall but with barely any boobs, and even though I'm thin, I have a wide bone structure (broad shoulders, and weird indented hips).

And then I'm slightly bowlegged with big fat knees and thigh fat that makes my legs look like gross sausages. Also I have bingo wings in most angles.

Losing weight won't fix this, my BMI is already only 17 as it is. My body is just meant for tops and trousers, because never have I encountered a dress that didn't make me look like a crossdressing man.

Old 10-31-2015, 08:52 PM

1,491 posts, read 379,368 times
I love jeans and pants, but dresses and skirts can make you feel feminine and pretty. It depends on my mood and what I feel like wearing basically.

Old 11-01-2015, 05:49 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,733,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strelnikov View Post
Interesting thread. My girlfriend does not wear pants at work. Unlike most of the female staff, she always wears skirts or dresses. She always "dresses up", not out of any need to please others, but for herself. Oddly enough, other women at her work look down on her for this. They will look her up and down and frown, snort, or make "catty" comments. Has anyone else every encountered this? (Customers, both men and women, are generally positive and frequently comment "I like your outfit/style" or "you look nice".)
I teach in specialized magnet school, where we focus on science and engineering. The science and engineering teachers dress like professionals in those fields (clean neat jeans, a t-shirt or polo, and sneakers) most of the time because we work in labs or shops with kids most of the time. Three of our teachers, all in the same department, all "dress up" (dresses, heels, etc.) every day. It is usually a non-issue but it has occasionally been a problem. These teachers will sometime asked to be relieved from duties the rest of us have to do because they would be cold, or otherwise uncomfortable due to the clothes they typically wear. Once when we were having an outdoor activity (our school does not have a gym) a student was injured and bleeding. One of the teachers refused to help me with first aid (we are all required to be certified) because she didn't want to risk getting blood on her dress. Another time, we had an evacuation drill, and a teacher took the students to a different location than the one designated because she didn't want to get her clothes muddy.

These types of instances breed resentment among the staff, and I am sure the dressed up teachers, feel the rest of us are being "catty" but really, it is just a fairness issue. Now clearly your gf works in a retail environment, but when my daughter worked afterschool at a local store, there were times when girls would use their clothes, especially dresses, as a reason not to do things. I remember once she was annoyed because a co-worker was asked to take the garbage out at the end of shift (apparently they took turns), and refused to on the grounds that she was in a skirt, and lifting up the lid to the dumpster would make her skirt ride too high up.

Old 11-03-2015, 04:35 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,897,496 times
1) No pockets
2) Have to watch how I sit--I hate sitting cross-legged. My favorite way to sit is "yoga sitting"--doesn't work so well in a dress unless I want to show everyone my underwear...
3) Hate shaving my legs.
4) Pantyhose-They are just evil. They itch, they come up to my breasts, and inevitably I manage to put a ladder in them within moments of putting them on.
5) Shoe choice-I like wearing Doc Martens boots...doesn't work so well with a dress, lol. Most heels are not that comfortable.
6) Choice-It's hard to find one that fits me.
7) It's just not me. I am more of a jeans and t-shirt person. If I do have to dress up, I like to wear a suit and pants because it just feels more natural for some reason. I was a tomboy when I was younger and still don't really fuss over my appearance much.

Old 11-03-2015, 04:55 PM

983 posts, read 1,055,525 times
People keep talking about how dresses are "more feminine". I really don't see how they are...and at any rate, some of us just have no interest in being "feminine". Doesn't necessarily mean that we are not "women" either (not that it's anyone's business).

If I have to dress up, I wear slacks and a nice fleece vest...but in this part of the country, wearing dresses is really not expected.

Old 11-03-2015, 07:02 PM

342 posts, read 438,081 times
I love dresses and skirts and wear them more often than jeans. Dresses are not "dressing up" for me, it is just what I prefer to wear. I am a hourglass and love love love dresses.Although I like good jeans too...

Old 11-03-2015, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabbythecat View Post
People keep talking about how dresses are "more feminine". I really don't see how they are...and at any rate, some of us just have no interest in being "feminine". Doesn't necessarily mean that we are not "women" either (not that it's anyone's business).

If I have to dress up, I wear slacks and a nice fleece vest...but in this part of the country, wearing dresses is really not expected.

Nobody said that you are not a woman if you don't wear dresses. That was not ever stated. If you have no interest in being feminine that's your right, but people also have a right to express how they feel in dresses, and if it makes them feel feminine, then that's their right. Dressing up to you means one thing, but it may mean something different to others. That's what this whole thread is about...expressing opinions.

Old 11-03-2015, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquamarin View Post
I love dresses and skirts and wear them more often than jeans. Dresses are not "dressing up" for me, it is just what I prefer to wear. I am a hourglass and love love love dresses.Although I like good jeans too...

I agree that dresses aren't always "dressing up." I enjoy wearing them a lot too, and like you, I do love my jeans too though!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty