Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2015, 07:14 PM

1,284 posts, read 1,261,034 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
This website has some really nice dresses for lounging around the house, for those who care how they look in a house dress: LotusTraders Clothing - Misses and Plus Size Fashion I had a couple of their dresses that I wore around the house (they have sizes up to a 5x) and I felt like I could go outside in those, because they weren't at all sheer, and had enough fabric to be modest. They had pockets too. They also have stuff that works for Renaissance faires.
They have awesome stuff. I just looked. Certainly don't see anything "frumpy" about their clothes lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2015, 07:17 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,242,007 times
Wow i think every one should post their ages.

I imagine all these young women wearing something even my mum wouldn't wear...!

Sorry guys but they so much remind me of being ill or something. That was the only excuse for not being fully clothed when I was bought up!

So, right now...its nearly midday and I haven't had a shower yet as I went for a walk and I plan to repot some plants and vacuum and wash my floors. So I am wearing a t shirt, bra, yoga pants (I know) and a long hooded throwover as it was a cool breeze.

I will do my housework and don't plan on going out so will probably shower and get into my pjs around 4ish or so but normally I would shower by say, 9am, get changed into day clothes and go out somewhere.

Old 10-12-2015, 07:31 PM

37,608 posts, read 45,988,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindersslipper View Post
Wow i think every one should post their ages.

I imagine all these young women wearing something even my mum wouldn't wear...!

Sorry guys but they so much remind me of being ill or something. That was the only excuse for not being fully clothed when I was bought up!

So, right now...its nearly midday and I haven't had a shower yet as I went for a walk and I plan to repot some plants and vacuum and wash my floors. So I am wearing a t shirt, bra, yoga pants (I know) and a long hooded throwover as it was a cool breeze.

I will do my housework and don't plan on going out so will probably shower and get into my pjs around 4ish or so but normally I would shower by say, 9am, get changed into day clothes and go out somewhere.
Surely you don't think that everyone else should choose the same clothing that you do. My mom has worn a house dress around the house, for years, when she had no plans to go anywhere, and no company coming. For cleaning and cooking, and keeping cool and comfy while doing so, I can completely understand ladies that prefer them. Pants are simply NOT as cool, and a house dress provides lots of airflow! I remember my grandmother wearing one as well, and my aunts too. Southern ladies, all of them.

Old 10-12-2015, 07:43 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,242,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Surely you don't think that everyone else should choose the same clothing that you do. My mom has worn a house dress around the house, for years, when she had no plans to go anywhere, and no company coming. For cleaning and cooking, and keeping cool and comfy while doing so, I can completely understand ladies that prefer them. Pants are simply NOT as cool, and a house dress provides lots of airflow! I remember my grandmother wearing one as well, and my aunts too. Southern ladies, all of them.
It absolutely has to be regional.

I have no experience with them except as something you might buy if you went to hospital or something.

I don't even remember my grandma wearing them although she possibly did.

As far as my mother is concerned, not ever, in fact her purple tracksuit is a bit of a family joke its been around that long and worn so often.

Old 10-12-2015, 07:54 PM

4,564 posts, read 5,417,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commett View Post
Anyone else out there find house dresses comfortable? My kids tease me cause at home I wear house dresses only. Am I the only one under 60 wearing them daily?
House dreses, mumus, all make me think of Mrs. Roper:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEZPv-ZACq0

Old 10-12-2015, 08:06 PM

18,381 posts, read 19,018,265 times
lucky to live Hawaii. a sundress is our form of a house dress. I throw one on in the a.m. and I am good to go anywhere from the grocery store or to a five star meal. very hard for me to want to put on anything restrictive or tight.

Old 10-12-2015, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cindersslipper View Post
It absolutely has to be regional.

I have no experience with them except as something you might buy if you went to hospital or something.

I don't even remember my grandma wearing them although she possibly did.

As far as my mother is concerned, not ever, in fact her purple tracksuit is a bit of a family joke its been around that long and worn so often.
No they are certainly much prettier (I think) than hospital wear. But yes, I do think it is regional. Definitely a southern thing, and certainly not something most younger gals opt for.

Old 10-12-2015, 10:32 PM

1,284 posts, read 1,261,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post
House dreses, mumus, all make me think of Mrs. Roper:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEZPv-ZACq0
OMG I forgot about her! Dead on...

My mother has worn muumuus since forever. I really do mean forever. Of course, only around the house. But, she always has full makeup and her hair done, regardless of what she's wearing. It is her way of feeling presentable.

Like you, she also lives in the SFV. We all grew up there.

I guess the apple didn't fall far from the tree. It's worse right now though because I have to wear this big ol honkin' walking boot until my leg is healed. The only thing I feel normal wearing at all right now are loose fitting dresses. Generally speaking, I can't stand tight clothing at all. It may be because I have a bit of neural sensitivity to certain feelings on my skin...much like people with Aspergers do. My arms especially tend to feel claustrophobic. It's an odd thing.

I'm 48 BTW to the poster who asked about ages.

I don't give a crap what people wear as long as it's not indecent. Hell even then I don't care that much because the human body is nothing to feel shame over, it's just society doesn't know how to handle it very well.

Old 10-13-2015, 06:26 AM

4,586 posts, read 5,610,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commett View Post
Anyone else out there find house dresses comfortable? My kids tease me cause at home I wear house dresses only. Am I the only one under 60 wearing them daily?
What's a "house dress"?(not being sarcastic, I just never heard that term before).

Old 10-13-2015, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoProIP View Post
What's a "house dress"?(not being sarcastic, I just never heard that term before).
Read the thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty