Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2015, 12:59 PM

30,246 posts, read 23,719,256 times

Advertisements

Patio dress? I had to look that up. Isn't that what people used to call nightgowns? I'm so confused.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2015, 01:00 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Patio dress? I had to look that up. Isn't that what people used to call nightgowns? I'm so confused.
My grandmother called it a housecoat, which was different from her bathrobe. So ... kind of.

Old 10-09-2015, 01:03 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,859,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
I have house clothes and out clothes -- which seems crazy, but my house clothes I don't care about. I cook and bake and clean in them, paint in them and they can get trashed.

My out clothes are nicer versions of the same thing. Since I spend a lot of time in the house, I also don't wear out my better clothing, and after a morning out, I don't have to wash them -- just hang them up to air.

I learned this from my very frugal mother, and then from experience. It really does make sense. As hard as I try, when I cook, I get splattered. Aprons are useless, I need a smock type to cover my shirt, and that's really restraining.. so change into something clean but can be wrecked, and not your expensive silk work blouse.

And while I've seen people out in clothing I would consider house clothes (and I do that if I'm in the middle of something and I need to hit the hardware store), I don't think it's proper. I'm not the "lets all go back to the 50's, with gloves and hats" dress up sort, but I do want to look nice and put together in jeans and polo shirts. More for me than anything -- makes me feel good.
I change into comfortable clothes when I get home and so do the hubby and kids...for us girls it's usually a tank top and shorts or pajama pants, and my husband wears a plain tshirt or one that's too obnoxious to wear out of the house, and shorts. My youngest has a bunch of camisole tops, the kind that are sold in packs in the girls' underwear department, and she wears those around the house.

I'll go outside to water the plants or bring the trash can up while I'm wearing my house clothes, but I can't go to the store like that. If I'm in the middle of something and have to run to the hardware store, I'll put on a bra and a tshirt and some shorts that aren't faded.

Old 10-09-2015, 01:17 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
... and now I have housedresses showing up in FB ads.

Old 10-09-2015, 01:22 PM

15,637 posts, read 26,242,236 times
Quote:
Made me laugh. Start looking up diamond jewelry. Nicer looking ads...

Old 10-09-2015, 01:35 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,238,463 times
Ok I don't even know what a Housedress IS, its not something we have in Australia.

Unless you are talking about Dressing Gowns? >>nightwear

PS> just saw that seersucker mess posted, we would call that a Nightie - Bed only.

Old 10-09-2015, 01:36 PM

15,142 posts, read 27,760,706 times
//www.city-data.com/forum/fashi...esses-muu.html

Old 10-09-2015, 04:14 PM

4,374 posts, read 11,223,721 times
I'm mid 50's and NEVER wear house dresses. I associate those with old ladies.

I have some cute dresses that I wear around the house for comfort and also wear out, this is one of my favorites:
Impromptu Dress in Riviera (them hems used to be longer at the sides and shorter at the front and back which I preferred).

Since we're on the topic of comfy clothes, I need a few new tops to go with my yoga pants. I'm on the stalky/athletic side with 25 extra lbs. on me, in case that matters.

Anyone care to share the types of tops they wear with their yoga pants (especially ones you could run out and do an errand in)?

Thanks!

Old 10-09-2015, 05:16 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,473,283 times
Quote:
it

lol...don't you love it!!

Old 10-09-2015, 05:43 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,238,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adventuregurl View Post
I'm mid 50's and NEVER wear house dresses. I associate those with old ladies.

I have some cute dresses that I wear around the house for comfort and also wear out, this is one of my favorites:
Impromptu Dress in Riviera (them hems used to be longer at the sides and shorter at the front and back which I preferred).

Since we're on the topic of comfy clothes, I need a few new tops to go with my yoga pants. I'm on the stalky/athletic side with 25 extra lbs. on me, in case that matters.

Anyone care to share the types of tops they wear with their yoga pants (especially ones you could run out and do an errand in)?

Thanks!
I just wear a polo shirt usually.

Sorry OP but if I got around in a nightie all day every day, I'd know it was time to End It All.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty