Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2015, 10:30 AM

2,547 posts, read 4,229,133 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snootylooter View Post
This post got me thinking, so I made sure to notice all the (80+ year old) ladies at my mother-in-law's assisted living center here in the Midwest. Must report I did not see one house dress. Did see a lot of Alfred Dunner styled pants outfits. I asked a favorite staff member and she said she can't recall ever seeing them on the ladies, even when they've retired to their rooms.
I hope I'll never end up in a house dress, even in the nursing home! That'll be my clue for them to put me out of my misery then
In seriousness, I just love seeing little old ladies who are impeccably groomed and nicely dressed - should be an inspiration to all the young women who run around looking like cr*p and have given up on themselves.
I always say I wish to have the health and feel good enough in my old age to still take pride of the way I look.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2015, 10:32 AM

3,360 posts, read 12,269,233 times
Stylish Plus Size Womens Clothing & Apparel | Roaman's

This is what I wear around the house and sleep in at night and sometimes all day at home if no one is coming over. Good enough to go to the mailbox in or accept packages at the door. Not what others would call a house dress. Underwire bras which are the only thing I can use are terribly uncomfortable and powders don't always help with rashes under there. Comfort is the name of the game. I generally shower and change just before going out.

Old 10-10-2015, 10:45 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,875,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgoldie View Post
Stylish Plus Size Womens Clothing & Apparel | Roaman's

This is what I wear around the house and sleep in at night and sometimes all day at home if no one is coming over. Good enough to go to the mailbox in or accept packages at the door. Not what others would call a house dress. Underwire bras which are the only thing I can use are terribly uncomfortable and powders don't always help with rashes under there. Comfort is the name of the game. I generally shower and change just before going out.
Not all underwires have to be uncomfortable...if you have a large bust, look for bras with a wide side stay in addition to the underwire...lane bryant makes one that has a 1/2" wide side stay. Also, for rashes under there, buy a bottle of hibiclens soap (in the first aid section, it's a tiny blue bottle for about $6) and use it on that area once a week or so. If your rashes are pimply or yeasty, it will get rid of them. If the rashes are from chafing, a better-fitting bra would help.

Not that I'm suggesting wearing a bra all the time...the second I come home, my bra comes off. If I have to go outside, I put on a sports bra...not flattering but I won't fall out of the shirt when I bend over.

Old 10-10-2015, 11:19 AM

1,110 posts, read 896,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adventuregurl View Post
I had a friend who wore them in her late 60's early 70's but she has passed on .

She wore nothing under them, if she had her way she's have been naked so she figured that was the next best thing, some of hers were a stretchy terry cloth, almost like a beach cover up.
Wow! Going Commando in a house dress???

Old 10-10-2015, 11:25 AM

4,856 posts, read 5,823,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabbythecat View Post
Wow.

I guess it must depend on the area of the country you are in, and if you are in the city or in a more rural environment?

I wear t-shirts and faded blue jeans *all the time*. Church, errands, out with girl friends, the neighborhood HOA meeting. Standard attire in this area.

Today I am going to a medical appointment in a rather upscale city some distance from here; I will wear a Columbia rain jacket instead of the hoodie that I normally wear every other place. But other than that, I won't dress any differently.

If I wore a skirt in my town, I'd be totally out of place. Which is fine with me. I am just not a "dress" type of person. Probably comes from being forced to wear them when I was a kid.
Naw, from what I've seen here over the few years is some people don't think certain clothes sjoukd be worn outside the house, and it's usually close that are perfectly fine, and qnybody else would. I think it's rather dumb, but I leave it alone.

Old 10-10-2015, 11:27 AM

3,360 posts, read 12,269,233 times
HHmom -The rashes, and I don't get them all the time, are from the heat and humidity here. Most of the time if I'm outside or doing anything the entire back half of my head is soaking wet from sweat. I already use a very good bra with wide straps and side stays anything else is a killer. The problem is I wear close to the biggest size made. I haven't found a sports bra that fits without me spilling out everywhere.

Old 10-10-2015, 11:28 AM

5,295 posts, read 5,238,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
I had to google that. My (superfat) grandmother used to wear them up until 25 years ago when she died at the age of mid. 70s.

Nothing wrong with a house dress AT HOME if you are single.

Don't complain about not getting laid though.
hilarious.

Old 10-10-2015, 11:30 AM

4,856 posts, read 5,823,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
You must not know what a house dress is, if you are wearing them to work....
I don't see a reason to own any clothes I wouldn't wear outside.

Old 10-10-2015, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgoldie View Post
HHmom -The rashes, and I don't get them all the time, are from the heat and humidity here. Most of the time if I'm outside or doing anything the entire back half of my head is soaking wet from sweat. I already use a very good bra with wide straps and side stays anything else is a killer. The problem is I wear close to the biggest size made. I haven't found a sports bra that fits without me spilling out everywhere.
I wear a 40H so I understand about having trouble finding a sports bra...I just wear the cheap cotton ones (those 3 packs walmart has for about $10) in a 42 (if I'm doing something bouncy like the elliptical) or a 44. It's more about containment than lift or enhancement I've tried the cup-sized sports bras at Lane Bryant and they weren't very comfortable and didn't stop the bounce.

For humidity, Gold Bond powder works a lot better than the powders they make for ladies, the scented ones with cornstarch. You can also use an antiperspirant called Certain Dri, a roll-on that you put on at night, which stops sweat for a couple days. The downside to it is that your body will compensate by making another part sweat more...it just depends on whether it will be a tolerable part or not.

Old 10-10-2015, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmm0484 View Post
Wow! Going Commando in a house dress???
I've never worn panties under a house dress, a night gown, the shorts I wear around the house, or my bike shorts. I wear panties whenever I go somewhere (other than a bike ride, when I'm wearing the bike shorts) but home is a commando-only zone. My husband is the same way...shorts or sweatpants but no underpants at home. We only started wearing clothes at home at all after we had kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty