Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2015, 09:12 PM

37,592 posts, read 45,950,883 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan Alaska View Post
It wont happen in this household, I'm a jeans girl through and through.

There is no structure to yoga/leisure pants, they are easy to wear but like other pants with elasticated waists also easy to lose control of your weight, those things stretch!! Also the rather delicate subject of umm larger ladies wearing yoga pants .... eeek !
Exactly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2015, 10:09 PM

2,813 posts, read 2,111,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittenSparkles View Post
These are two examples of yoga-style pants that people wear to work and in other non-yoga settings:

https://www.betabrand.com/collection...ollection.html

Women's Starfish Pants from Lands' End
Ooh! I am loving those pants on BetaBrand!! Definitely going to look into trying those!

Yoga-pant haters: how are those "unattractive," "gross," "not dressed up" or "pajamas"?

Old 10-13-2015, 10:10 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,757,343 times
Maybe it depends on where you live in the country, as to jeans becoming extinct. In our part, jeans are really in, and have always been.

When some woman shows up in yoga pants, people consider it kind of a joke. Especially when the average woman that wears yoga pants, weighs about 250 pounds, and the pants look like someone just painted them on. It is kind of obscene and turns people stomach. Unless she is super slim she may not weigh 250 pounds, but the yoga pants makes her look like she does.

Old 10-13-2015, 10:41 PM

The backlash against yoga pants and leggings on this thread has been so surprising to me! I adore both, and have a hard time envisioning why anyone would choose jeans over them ON A REGULAR BASIS. Jeans definitely have their place, but I usually can't WAIT to take them off! Why are so many people eschewing comfort?!

Then as I continued to read through the thread, I realized there are a few reasons why so many people have expressed such strong anti-yoga pants statements. 1) I think whatever we don't like, we think of the WORST example of! It's not like people don't abuse the heck out of denim every damn day:

https://www.google.com/search?q=ugly...t_IXoLWN2fM%3A

https://www.google.com/search?q=ugly...9sWlZd7CRFM%3A

https://www.google.com/search?q=ugly...y1TrGx4A_AM%3A

But because jeans are common, and we like OUR jeans, we don't think of all the horrible examples parading around everyday.

2) Many people are overweight. A common theme on this thread is how yoga pants and leggings look so bad on overweight people. So, many posters probably see a lot of overweight people every where in their everyday lives. If some of those people have on yoga pants or leggings, well by golly, yoga pants and leggings are gross and disgusting! But, unfortunately, those people probably don't look like a million bucks in jeans either.

Basically, we're all just biased to what we like, and what we feel good in.

However, objectively speaking, I look fantastic in yoga pants and leggings!!

Old 10-13-2015, 10:49 PM

1,484 posts, read 2,258,134 times
ChessieMom, that is gross! I am thankful that although most I see wearing things like that aren't attractive, they aren't that bad!

So the thing I'm noticing all of a sudden, then trend here is jeans with holes, lots of holes in the front. That was the style when I was a teen. Guess that's back. Maybe it has been for some time in other places, but I mean all of a sudden it's exploding here. I always had my jeans with natural holes in the knees; I can't imagine BUYING them that way LOL Does that show my age or what? LOL.

Old 10-13-2015, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
Maybe it depends on where you live in the country, as to jeans becoming extinct. In our part, jeans are really in, and have always been.

When some woman shows up in yoga pants, people consider it kind of a joke. Especially when the average woman that wears yoga pants, weighs about 250 pounds, and the pants look like someone just painted them on. It is kind of obscene and turns people stomach. Unless she is super slim she may not weigh 250 pounds, but the yoga pants makes her look like she does.
I don't know if your "some woman" is specific or if you mean it generally, like "any woman" Regardless, this looks like a comfortable way to run errands to me:

https://www.google.com/search?q=gorg...ulpV5dJVD9E%3D

She doesn't look obscene to me.

Old 10-13-2015, 11:01 PM

"Dressed up" leggings:

https://www.google.com/search?q=legg...BC0VYeWYNHM%3A

Old 10-13-2015, 11:36 PM

1,516 posts, read 1,247,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfternoonCoffee View Post
Ooh! I am loving those pants on BetaBrand!! Definitely going to look into trying those!

Yoga-pant haters: how are those "unattractive," "gross," "not dressed up" or "pajamas"?
Ugh, I hate both the Land's End and Betabrand examples and I generally like Betabrand.
Land's End "starfish" pants look like athletic pants - no shape whatsoever.
The Betabrand pair have fake pockets, zipper, and button. I can tell a REAL pair of pants from the fabric from a mile away and those look CHEAP (despite not being cheap).

The general population does not look good in yoga pants. Heck, I'm slim and I bet I look horrible in them too, but I don't usually wear them (leggings) and when I do, I cover my butt. The most problematic area of the body when wearing those is your butt, and if it's flabby or flat, they aren't going to be doing you any favors.

I wear skinny jeans often, and I really don't understand what's so "uncomfortable" about them - granted mine have a little bit of spandex. I would much rather have a structured and durable pair of pants than something that looks like it belongs at a dance recital.

Actually, I really hate this idea that everything has to be about comfort. Yes, to some level you want to feel unrestricted in your clothing, but we're venturing into just plain sloppy territory. Just look at some of the fashion eras from the past: dresses, gloves, hats, stockings. People used to take pride in how they presented themselves. Nowadays it's all about rolling out of bed and putting on whatever's clean and stretchy.

Old 10-13-2015, 11:44 PM

1,516 posts, read 1,247,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfternoonCoffee View Post
That's really casual to me. I was thinking more like this.

But we're not all tall and skinny supermodels, so I doubt it would look this chic for everyone.

Old 10-14-2015, 12:37 AM

15,546 posts, read 12,009,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
I'm pretty sure this gal is comfortable. However she looks like pure crap. Jeans would be a huge improvement.

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/329114685245196208/
Wearing underwear that is 3 sizes to small is going to look like "pure crap" even while wearing jeans.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7225/7...26daab1465.jpg
http://radaronline.com/wp-content/up...ght-jeans.jpeg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty