Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2015, 05:51 PM

3,308 posts, read 4,560,181 times

Advertisements

I don't ever wear shorts, but I do wear sandals 365.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2015, 06:00 PM

3,376 posts, read 6,106,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess5 View Post
Heck yes, we do here in Oklahoma because it's hot all year round. We'll get a few icy days, then that sunshine is back glaring upon us. It's so hot at Easter, that we've had to move events inside. When kids do an Easter egg hunt, it's either done very early, or inside because kids have gotten some nasty sunburns hunting eggs. I hate it. I want to live somewhere where it's cool for a large part of the year, or all year, I wouldn't care. I will say that this year has been the coolest I've ever experienced or heard about here. It's a very big deal. Everyone's talking about it. I've read that this year would be the hottest year ever, but, not so here!
I'll admit that the fierceness of some of the few, icy/snowy winter days made it seem like winter was lasting longer than it should.
But then I began to recall that ferocity tends to be at it's fiercest in the TX/NM/OK area from December to March-ish.

This area isn't paradise, but I guess for now, it beats having to get stuck in the northeast, or something.

Old 11-02-2015, 08:06 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,319,598 times
I don't even wear shorts in the summer. What's the magic about them unless you have legs that just HAVE TO BE admired?

Old 11-02-2015, 11:20 PM

2,518 posts, read 2,058,060 times
SoCal - basketball shorts & sandals 9 months of the year.

tonight it was 60F. I briefly considered wearing long stretchy pants, but I'll hold out another coupla' weeks if I can.

Old 11-03-2015, 03:33 AM

3,671 posts, read 3,557,269 times
Shorts and Flip-flops are standard Florida dress code

Old 11-03-2015, 03:36 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Tough to wear shorts when it is 0 degrees and there's a foot or more of snow on the ground....

You must live somewhere warm.
It's weird. My feet get cold, but not my legs.

I'm pretty much shorts until less than 30.

Old 11-03-2015, 06:15 AM

35,064 posts, read 17,014,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentstrider View Post
I'll still don a heavy jacket when the temperature dips below normal, but I never really experience any discomfort going bare legged during cold spells.
As a guy, I was never really a fan of wearing pants as I thought they were too "business/cop like" for my mentality.
Yet every time October hits, it's not even remotely cold yet and I'll see other guys donning Carhart pants and jackets, while women are donning jeans, boots of different types, and hoodies.

I guess as a summer/desert rat/120 degree weather lover, I always remain in denial that I'm currently living in a place that experiences the four-season nonsense.
I don't know about the entire winter, but I'm about to go for a jog in my bathing suit and short-sleeve shirt, and it's 45. My older son, who takes a bit after me, often wears shorts through a northeastern Pennsylvania winter, and I've been known to wear shorts on some bitter days. The cold does get to my hands, thought.

Old 11-03-2015, 06:27 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,875,485 times
Quote:
I try to do a lot of my shopping at thrift stores when it comes to clothing.
Pick out a lot of random t-shirts and whatever else I could find that looks okay to me.
But, there's also a base nearby and a lot of old uniforms could be found here for pennies on the dollar.

I also ride my bicycle to work in a lot of cold and hot weather.
Pants of any type seem to slow me down quite a bit due to them screwing up my pedaling motions.
That and if I get splashed with water(I'm still driving trucks and loading at dairies) I don't have to worry about wearing wet and cold fabric for the next, several hours.

As far as a cold spell, I consider anything below 30 degrees to be just that.
I feel perfectly fine as long as I've got a heavy jacket covering my torso.
Never heard of anyone suffering heat loss through their legs.

But, I've already got myself on track to get out of this area within the year, so I'm not going to be crazy spending on a bunch of ice-road trucker gear, just to dump it when it's time to fly.
For your pants leg while cycling: Amazon.com : Nashbar Leg Band Set with VELCRO brand fasteners : Bike Pack Accessories : Sports & Outdoors

I shop at the thrift stores for my family's clothing too and my husband loves the tactical-looking clothes, probably because he's worn uniforms for so many years, but I try to make sure there's some color in his closet. Yesterday we went to the store and he was wearing olive drab, t-shirt and cargo shorts...I kept teasing him the whole time we were shopping

My legs are always warm enough when I ride a bike, my hands get too cold though...I have Raynaud's and my hands will turn completely white and get too stiff to brake or shift. I have several pairs of gloves of varying thickness so I can still ride in the cold.

Old 11-03-2015, 06:29 AM

15,675 posts, read 11,527,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
I had a friend at work who wore shorts in MN when it was -40. I used to wonder if he would be OK if he had car trouble or got stranded. But he assured me he had a parka and boots in his car.

Old 11-03-2015, 06:39 AM

2,222 posts, read 2,345,556 times
Quote:
That's where I grew up and expect myself to be back in, or Phoenix.
It's hard to beat the weather here. We had an artic storm pass through here yesterday and the temps dropped down into the low 60's but a high pressure ststem is building off the coast and it will be up in the low 80's by this weekend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty