Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2016, 07:59 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiecta View Post
I'm straight and I definitely compliment women on their outfits from time to time. I don't go out of my way (walking across the room, so to speak). But if it is a woman I have already engaged in conversation or something (ie the man who was helping you), I have no problem complimenting hair or clothing etc. when something catches my eye.

Must have been a nice outfit
I'm the same way - male or female, young or old, whatever, if I'm in a position where it's appropriate or just in a friendly interchange, I'll tell someone if I like something about their look - a color that looks good on them, an outfit, a scarf or necklace or tie, or nice shoes, etc. I think "Why not tell someone something nice? It makes us both feel good."

I've gotten a lot of compliments on this particular shirt and outfit, and most people specifically say they like the way it "matches" my hair, so that always makes me happy. It was the best $12 I've ever spent on a shirt. I am loving this outfit by the way, which is just dark skinny jeans cuffed at the ankle, strappy metallic platform sandals, the denim/metallic button down collared shirt (normal and common cut but the fabric is what makes it pop) and a long necklace with indigo and pewter beads. It's super comfortable and casual and apparently looks good together so SCORE!!!!!

Actually, I wouldn't normally say this, but this is what the thread is about, so I'll say it - I've gotten TONS of comments and compliments on my hair since I let it go it's natural salt and pepper color. It's mostly silver but the dark strands are very dark and it's dark "underneath" so if I may say so myself, it's pretty striking. The natural color was a complete shock to me because the dark is REALLY dark and the silver is REALLY silver and I thought it would just be a more washed out color overall.

I've given my hairdresser's name and number out so often that I am seriously going to ask her for some business cards when I go get my hair trimmed up later this week. And the ironic thing is, she's not even coloring it anymore! But the cut is apparently really eye catching. People comment on it a lot.

No lie - I've even had women come up to me in church and with the organization I volunteer with and tell me that I'm "their hero" or their inspiration for letting their hair go it's natural color too. We took the summer off with the organization I work with, so when we reconvened a few weeks ago, most of the women who work with the organization hadn't seen my natural hair color yet. When I walked in, I had actually forgotten that I'd gone through this transition, so I was really surprised at the group response, which was along the lines of "WOW! LOVE IT! GONNA DO IT MYSELF!"

It feels good to be an encouragement to other women to embrace their natural look. There's nothing shameful about aging and accepting a natural process. That doesn't mean it's shameful to color our hair either - it's just that we have options and shouldn't be afraid to explore them just because we think someone may think we're "old."

I don't care what others think about my age. Now - if my particular gray hair color didn't look good against my skin, that would be a whole other thing - I'd color it then. I am not going to go around looking washed out if I don't have to.

I'd also color it if I wanted to, just for a change. But what I'm not going to do is color it because I'm afraid of "looking older." I'm not afraid of looking my age. I like my age.

For the record, I'm no dog, but I'm not super model material at all. I'm a little bit fluffy (but tall so I don't look dumpy) and I've got good skin but I'm no classic beauty. So when I get this many compliments on my hair, I figure it must really, really look good. I don't consider myself a show stopper at all and frankly, the new attention surprises me, but in a good way!

Last edited by KathrynAragon; 09-26-2016 at 08:19 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2016, 08:18 AM

2,182 posts, read 2,318,692 times
Gray hair started trending big towards the end of 2014. More young people than ever are aware of the beauty of gray hair. So the compliments aren't surprising at all and totally believable. But really, there have always been those (young and old) who appreciate the beauty of gray/salt and pepper/silver/platinum hair.

As for trying to fool anyone... please

Old 09-26-2016, 09:30 AM

6,005 posts, read 4,786,894 times
[quote=KathrynAragon;45612070]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicci6Squirrels View Post

THANK YOU!

My hair is super thick and very coarse. I call it my pelt. Anyway, I can't do middle ground because I look like Rosanne Rosannadanna. It has to be either very short or very long, so the weight of it pulls it down.

When I get my hair cut (every month) I also have to get it thinned. That's the only way to control it!

I had very long hair prior to getting it all lopped off spur of the moment about 15 years ago. It was way down my back and it was so thick and heavy that I was getting neck and head pains. And forget trying to wear it in a ponytail or a bun - it would make my head hurt so badly I couldn't stand it! It was like having a squirrel living on top of my head! So one day I just thought "to heck with this" and got it all cut off, and I have loved it ever since!
Boy, I don't know what happened with my quoting ability in that post up there on this thread. Yipes. I probably had hair in my eyes.

I hear you about the neck and head pains! I put my hair up in a big glob on top of my head while at home. If I put it in a ponytail, my head just starts bending backward until I ended up folded in half. Ha.

Your hair really does look fabulous. You have a good stylist, apparently, who knows how to work with your hair type. I always get the stylists who say, "Oh, you CAN'T cut off all this hair!" I've never once cried over my hair. I don't cry over getting it cut off. Not at all... but they never believe me! In fact, your idea of a squirrel atop the head is intriguing. "How to Train Your Yard Squirrels to be a Fun Toupee." I'm gonna get on that.

Old 09-26-2016, 10:47 AM

5,851 posts, read 5,279,150 times
Years ago, I knew a guy who said that he was attracted to young women with gray hair. To each his own-but, like I said, I like the color I put in my hair much better than the gray.

Cat

Old 09-26-2016, 10:53 AM

30,902 posts, read 32,998,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatwomanofV View Post
Years ago, I knew a guy who said that he was attracted to young women with gray hair. To each his own-but, like I said, I like the color I put in my hair much better than the gray.

Cat
LOL, that's random.

I'm really attracted to clown feet!

And guys whose names have an odd set of letters.

Just kidding...just saying, that's both random and specific...something that isn't so easy to pull off at the same time. Did you friend manage to find many SOs who were young, with gray hair? How young? And how gray? My oldest son had three silver hairs in his whorl from the age of 10. Now, at 30, he still has exactly those 3 silver hairs, which obviously don't show (it was his barber who pointed them out to me), and no others on his entire head.

Old 09-26-2016, 11:01 AM

3,137 posts, read 2,707,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandavaran View Post

Ladies, embrace your gray! Age is wisdom and experience! Forget those messy hair colors and expensive salon treatments. Gray is the only way!

I have to wonder about people who care so much about what color or why someone else dyes their hair. It truly is none of your business.

Old 09-26-2016, 11:13 AM

18,526 posts, read 18,744,531 times
I dont measure anyone on the colour of their hair, it doesnt really interest me at all.. my hair is still very dark at 69.. as was my mothers at the same age.. so genetic.. but I dont think Id mind if it was grey..and I definitely would never dye it.. as wouldnt be able to use hair dyes.

Old 09-26-2016, 11:30 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,810,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandavaran View Post
As a counterpoint to a recent thread about men's comb overs....

Why do older women think it looks great to dye their gray hair such outlandish colors as...

1. Black Raven-Enough black in their hair to tar roads. Kids have been known to chomp on it mistaking it for licorice strands.

2. Fox Red-And I don't mean the good kind of fox i.e. "a foxy ladyyyy". That orange-reddish glo combo that could attract flying saucers looking for a landing pad.

3. Henna Red-A darker shade of the one above. Maybe for the woman who always wanted to look like a cherry tootsie roll pop.

4. Any shade of Blonde-Platinum, yellow lab, wheat field or really any shade that will ensure that "blonde moments" need not be homegrown.

5. Any kind of streaking or frosting-Actually, this could almost be acceptable. Age spots can be sucked into the vortex of some of those swirls.

Ladies, embrace your gray! Age is wisdom and experience! Forget those messy hair colors and expensive salon treatments. Gray is the only way!
What someone else does with their hair isn't about you.

Old 09-26-2016, 08:18 PM

2,765 posts, read 3,628,952 times
By the reasoning of threads like this we could go on and on about things people do that will not fool anyone. Your color contact lenses are not fooling anyone, your makeup is not fooling anyone,your hair extensions are not fooling anyone, your high heels are not fooling anyone, your compression shirt isn't fooling anyone, your beard and mustache color is not fooling anyone, your dentures are not fooling anyone, your plastic surgery is not fooling anyone, your enhanced breast is not fooling anyone, your injections to enhance your figure are not fooling anyone, your hairpiece is not fooling anyone, your fancy car is not fooling anyone (we know it is probably a leased car) your miracle padded bra is not fooling anyone, your sucking your gut in is not fooling anyone ( we know you do not have a flat stomach) your hearing aids are not fooling anyone. Your legging jeans are not fooling anyone, your lipstick is not fooling anyone, your nail salon artificial nails are not fooling anyone. It is about feeling good about yourself and doing those things achieve that. I see nothing wisdom about gray hair. I know people with plenty of gray hair who are as dumb as they can be and wisdom is not exactly they have much of.

Old 09-27-2016, 10:41 AM

2,765 posts, read 3,628,952 times
Default Beauty Standards.

Dye the hair if you want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty