Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2016, 04:46 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,167,759 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I don't know - I think it depends totally on the individual and their coloring.

My grandmother was a natural redhead, whose thick, wavy red hair turned stark white by the time she was sixty. I mean solid white. It was GORGEOUS. She also had great skin, so the combination was very striking. I've always hoped that since I take after her in so many ways, I got the gene for solid white hair (eventually) as well. So far so good - I'm fifty four and when I compare pictures of her hair in her mid fifties to mine, they look very similar. I just hope my hair keeps getting whiter and whiter till it reaches that pure color she had for so many years.

I think a person needs to have a lot of natural color to their skin tone for this to look good. I think about another relative of mine who also pulled this off very well - my aunt from New Orleans who was originally pretty dark in her coloring - she had very dark hair and olive skin and dark eyes. When her hair turned, it became solid white as well. She had completely different coloring than my grandmother (whose skin was very fair but had lots of peach undertones, like mine) but her coloring with that white hair was fabulous.
You have described my mom. She had naturally vivid red hair. She began coloring it as it was turning white. When we insisted she stop coloring it in her nineties, we discovered her beautiful, full white hair. What a waste of all those years. Its funny, because she admired Ann Richards, and if anyone had a beautiful head of white hair, that woman did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2016, 05:49 AM

50,376 posts, read 63,993,273 times
So I just bought some temporary hair color at Sally's yesterday. I'm hoping to get some oomph going on my drab, partly gray hair. It's supposed to only last for one or two shampoos, so how bad could it be? It's a golden blond color.

Old 10-19-2016, 11:40 AM

3,158 posts, read 4,591,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandavaran View Post
As a counterpoint to a recent thread about men's comb overs....

Why do older women think it looks great to dye their gray hair such outlandish colors as...

1. Black Raven-Enough black in their hair to tar roads. Kids have been known to chomp on it mistaking it for licorice strands.

2. Fox Red-And I don't mean the good kind of fox i.e. "a foxy ladyyyy". That orange-reddish glo combo that could attract flying saucers looking for a landing pad.

3. Henna Red-A darker shade of the one above. Maybe for the woman who always wanted to look like a cherry tootsie roll pop.

4. Any shade of Blonde-Platinum, yellow lab, wheat field or really any shade that will ensure that "blonde moments" need not be homegrown.

5. Any kind of streaking or frosting-Actually, this could almost be acceptable. Age spots can be sucked into the vortex of some of those swirls.

Ladies, embrace your gray! Age is wisdom and experience! Forget those messy hair colors and expensive salon treatments. Gray is the only way!
At 54 I think I'm old enough to decide on what I want and like..As the saying go...
Attached Thumbnails
Ladies, Your Dyed Hair Isn't Fooling Anybody-14519701_10206873033733054_4428084129507675997_n.jpg  

Old 10-19-2016, 12:38 PM

2,405 posts, read 1,446,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCard~ View Post
At 54 I think I'm old enough to decide on what I want and like..As the saying go...

I think you're very decorative.

Old 10-19-2016, 03:39 PM

3,158 posts, read 4,591,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wombleywomberly View Post
I think you're very decorative.
LMAO~ Right on! ...

Old 10-19-2016, 07:43 PM

5,151 posts, read 4,530,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I don't know - I think it depends totally on the individual and their coloring.

My grandmother was a natural redhead, whose thick, wavy red hair turned stark white by the time she was sixty. I mean solid white. It was GORGEOUS. She also had great skin, so the combination was very striking. I've always hoped that since I take after her in so many ways, I got the gene for solid white hair (eventually) as well. So far so good - I'm fifty four and when I compare pictures of her hair in her mid fifties to mine, they look very similar. I just hope my hair keeps getting whiter and whiter till it reaches that pure color she had for so many years.

I think a person needs to have a lot of natural color to their skin tone for this to look good. I think about another relative of mine who also pulled this off very well - my aunt from New Orleans who was originally pretty dark in her coloring - she had very dark hair and olive skin and dark eyes. When her hair turned, it became solid white as well. She had completely different coloring than my grandmother (whose skin was very fair but had lots of peach undertones, like mine) but her coloring with that white hair was fabulous.

Too many people are involved with what other people look like. Not everyone is " blessed" with what others consider "good" hair, & do the best with what they have and LIKE IT that way!

How fortunate for you that you have such nice white hair, or gray hair, or thick hair, if that is what you have...how charitable it would be for you to be supportive of those whose hair does not meet your standards!

BTW, not everyone wants the "helmet head" style that is forced on just about evey postmenopausal woman I know. Some of us want to keep our long hair, even if it's not as thick as it was when we were 16, or 30, or 70!

Last edited by MarciaMarshaMarcia; 10-19-2016 at 07:57 PM.. Reason: Too much judgment regarding what a woman's hair "should" look like

Old 10-21-2016, 12:36 AM

181 posts, read 138,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
IM 68 with very dark brown natural hair still and people dont believe me.. so thats the other side of it.
I believe you. My dad has dark brown hair and didn't get a grey hair until he was over sixty. I offered to dye it for him but he wouldn't let me.

Old 10-21-2016, 12:57 AM

181 posts, read 138,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morrigan20 View Post
Someone might have already said this but as a redhead going gray, I can tell you that red henna looks just fine under artificial light but in sunlight, it attracts unwanted attention. Unless she's seen herself outside, she doesn't know.
I read that redheads don't go grey because they hold their pigment longer.

Old 10-21-2016, 06:23 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarciaMarshaMarcia View Post
Too many people are involved with what other people look like. Not everyone is " blessed" with what others consider "good" hair, & do the best with what they have and LIKE IT that way!

How fortunate for you that you have such nice white hair, or gray hair, or thick hair, if that is what you have...how charitable it would be for you to be supportive of those whose hair does not meet your standards!

BTW, not everyone wants the "helmet head" style that is forced on just about evey postmenopausal woman I know. Some of us want to keep our long hair, even if it's not as thick as it was when we were 16, or 30, or 70!

Why the attitude? I have very thick hair. It's also very coarse. It works in some styles and not at ALL in other styles, so I've found styles that work, that's all. There's a good style for just about every sort of hair and every sort of facial shape.

As far as the "helmet head" style - I'm not talking about that style at all. Nor am I talking about "forcing it on just about every post menopausal woman you know." Sheeze, where do you come up with this stuff?

If you like your long hair, more power to ya. As for it getting thinner, don't lash out at me - I didn't eat your sack lunch. People have all sorts of different hair challenges - my response had NOTHING to do with being critical of others' hair, or my hair being superior to anyone else's - wow.

Some people would NOT like the very short hairstyle I have, or like the maintenance it requires (cut and thinned every month), and that's OK - it's just what works for me.

Old 10-21-2016, 06:42 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,965,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
You have described my mom. She had naturally vivid red hair. She began coloring it as it was turning white. When we insisted she stop coloring it in her nineties, we discovered her beautiful, full white hair. What a waste of all those years. Its funny, because she admired Ann Richards, and if anyone had a beautiful head of white hair, that woman did.
Why did you make your mother stop dying her own hair? Isn't it her choice whether to get her hair done or not?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty