Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2015, 02:30 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,397,001 times

Advertisements

I HATE winter with a vengeance and a passion. And it is starting again. I'm an immigrant from a warm country, and I have ZERO tolerance for being cold. The things I wear in winter are wool socks, down or wool coats, and UGGs. I'm not wearing this stuff by choice, but there are some items I actually like:

Patterned wool tights - I don't bother with synthetic tights in winter anymore. No matter how thick they look, nothing beats the warmth and comfort of natural wool. I'd love to NOT wear tights, but I'm happy to not have to shave my legs. There are some nice pattered wool tights I got this year. They are cute.

OTK Wool Socks - I'm a weirdo, and I know because I've always LOVED Over The Knee socks, which are kind of fetishy. I got some in wool in GREEN, RED and GREY. Ooh love those colors. These are nice if I go out in shorts...which I still do when it is cold...and they also look nice with boots. Love that Sockdreams.com is still online:

UGGS - I'm so happy these are socially acceptable because they are SO COMFY. They are also natural materials and keep my feet warm even when they get wet.

Cute Wool Hats - Winter sucks a$$, but I wear stupid character hats that look like animals to make myself feel better. I love wool hats that cover my ears and tie under the chin. I have some that look like various animals and this makes me happy. I'm a weirdo, so I have these in adult sizes and wear them in public.

Adorable Bow Scarf - Like most winter clothing, I'm bitter that I have to wear scarves, but it makes me happy to tie my scarf into a bow. It is like an FU to winter and makes up a little at my unhappiness at being cold and wet. I'm an adult, and YES I still wear my scarves like this when I'm feeling up to it: http://www.wonderwardrobes.com/wp-co...rf-bow-tie.jpg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2015, 08:03 PM

219 posts, read 472,217 times
For someone who hates winter, you sure are having a lot of fun with it kinkytoes. I am already wondering if my DD can be talked into a fox hat.

My favorite thing to wear in winter is skis and the full kit. Give me some goggles and goretex and I will go out in any disgustingly wintery weather at all, except an ice storm.

But besides that, it must be sweaters because I have an insane amount. Along with those, some wool tights, tweedy pencil skirts and ankle boots. And fuzzy hats with braids, and those glittens. Not crazy about scarves though. They can be so uncomfortable.

Old 12-09-2015, 06:10 PM

388 posts, read 473,943 times
Cotton or silk turtlenecks under sweaters or sweat shirts.

Cashmere-lined leather gloves.

Silk leggings under pants.

Old 12-09-2015, 06:26 PM

4,326 posts, read 1,261,282 times
It doesn't get cold enough to wear much winter clothes here, I usually wear blue jeans and a light sweatshirt when I'm out shopping.

Old 12-09-2015, 06:27 PM

28 posts, read 21,607 times
Lots of warm clothes. I hate the winter!

Old 12-09-2015, 10:45 PM

56 posts, read 46,927 times
Sweaters.
Boots.
Oxfords.
Tights.
Tights with knee highs or thigh highs.
Thermals. Cozy socks.

Old 12-10-2015, 10:25 AM

2,533 posts, read 3,099,033 times
Ah, at last, a thread I can "warm" to!

I've barely worn my new Genghis Khan hat due to El Niño, but here it is.

Also, my Eddie Bauer parka. White at night for maximum visibility! Plus it washes up like a dream, and I'm not just another robot in a black parka in line at the post office.

I dig that fox hat posted above!
Attached Thumbnails
What are your favorite things to wear in the Wintertime.-img_1115.jpg   What are your favorite things to wear in the Wintertime.-bauer.jpg  

Old 12-10-2015, 06:44 PM

7,327 posts, read 12,331,620 times
My favorite thing to wear in the winter is my pink hoodie.

Old 12-10-2015, 08:25 PM

2,322 posts, read 923,198 times
Sweaters - absolutely love sweaters. I am considering learning how to knit just to be able to make my own. Have downloaded patterns already.
Winter Boots
Scarf
Hoodie - as soon as it dips below 70, I pull this out and put it on. I don't care.
Beanie - cut off all my hair in August so I am looking forward to wearing this when it gets cold enough.

Old 12-11-2015, 06:44 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,886,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I am a northerner, but I live in the south now. I loved the cozy, LL Bean, flannel lifestyle. Now, if I get to wear a sweater in the winter, it's rare. I have a pair of UGGS that I wore to the mailbox , once in 5 years.
The funny thing is, I cannot let things go, because I can't quite believe that I won't need then again someday.
As a long time Southerner who loves boots and scarves and all that jazz, here's my suggestion.

Just wear them anyway - just don't layer as much!

You might get a kick out of this scenario from yesterday:

I had a Christmas luncheon to go to. I also had a lot of running errands to do afterward. Though yesterday morning was cool, the temps were in the mid seventies by 1 pm. I wore skinny jeans, boots, a long lacy tunic top, a short jean jacket, and a long scarf. But I brought cute sandals with me. After the luncheon, when I got in my car, off came the boots and scarf and on went the sandals! By 3 I'd shed the jacket as well!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty