Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2015, 12:36 PM

4,232 posts, read 6,907,661 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
If you are not doing something that is mainstream accepted, then you probably have an irrational hang up. I doubt if OPs wife really cares if he wears flip flops, but she probably recognizes that he has nonsensical thinking, and she wants him to overcome it.
I kind of cringe at this. Someone should do something they don't like just because it's accepted in the mainstream? There are a LOT of things accepted in the mainstream that I don't enjoy or personally indulge in. I don't think that is nonsensical behavior...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2015, 12:57 PM

1,664 posts, read 3,956,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rkstar71 View Post
I'm more of a sneaker and boot guy. But since I got to CA I noticed a lot of guys wearing flip flops and showing their feet. I may wear them inside the house, at the pool, or while at the beach but generally I don't like to have my feet exposed out in public.
Wife is always wanting me to get flip flops and wear them out in public along with the baggy shorts and tank tops. It's just not a style I'm comfortable with. I'm comfortable in jeans and boots or tactical BDUs and boots or sneakers.
Anyone else has thoughts about this?
Next she will have you painting your toenails and wearing silk underwear. When do men stand up for themselves? I think she is looking for a girlfriend!

Old 11-30-2015, 01:00 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,872,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
They're YOUR feet! If she wants to wear flip flops, then she can. Flip flops are actually terrible for your feet. There's absolutely no support in those cheap things.
Depends on what kind you get. The ones I wear have a good arch. Okabashi Shoes, Sandals, Flip Flops | Mens and Womens Shoes

Old 11-30-2015, 01:10 PM

16,590 posts, read 8,605,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rkstar71 View Post
I'm more of a sneaker and boot guy. But since I got to CA I noticed a lot of guys wearing flip flops and showing their feet. I may wear them inside the house, at the pool, or while at the beach but generally I don't like to have my feet exposed out in public.
Wife is always wanting me to get flip flops and wear them out in public along with the baggy shorts and tank tops. It's just not a style I'm comfortable with. I'm comfortable in jeans and boots or tactical BDUs and boots or sneakers.
Anyone else has thoughts about this?
I get it.
You do not feel like a hippie, nor anything of a similar ilk. While you may not dress formally, you also do not want to look like a slob/bum.
I only wear flip flops to the places you mentioned as well, and I live in FL. The only exception might be in the Keys where you come off the boat/beach/sand and walk into a bar for a cool drink. Otherwise I'd rather put on some sneakers, even if I am in shorts and a casual shirt.

`

Old 11-30-2015, 01:15 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,039,869 times
Flip-flops are the dorkiest attire ever invented. They look stupid, they do not support your feet, they do not protect your feet, they make that stupid snapping sound that announce "incoming lowbrows", overall a bad and dopey invention that should never have been.

Old 11-30-2015, 01:32 PM

5,718 posts, read 7,258,832 times
I can't imagine wearing anything that put a piece of rubber or leather between my toes.

Old 11-30-2015, 01:33 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,623,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiecta View Post
I kind of cringe at this. Someone should do something they don't like just because it's accepted in the mainstream? There are a LOT of things accepted in the mainstream that I don't enjoy or personally indulge in. I don't think that is nonsensical behavior...
Much like the kids who walk around with their underpants hanging out. I never understood it! I remember being in college and seeing numerous girls with their thong hanging out above their pants. Then there's the guys who have their pants hanging down so the world can see which boxers they decided to wear today. Great you're wearing underwear! I don't need to know or see! I don't really care!

As my grandfather used to say," It pays to advertise. Just be careful what you're advertising!"

Old 11-30-2015, 01:34 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,623,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
Depends on what kind you get. The ones I wear have a good arch. Okabashi Shoes, Sandals, Flip Flops | Mens and Womens Shoes
I've yet to find a doctor that says any flip flops are actually good for your feet. There's more to support than your arch!

Old 11-30-2015, 02:43 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,236,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Assuming your feet are healthy, I think you should bust free of this hang up. My husband thinks his nails are unattractive, but it is all in his head, so he won't wear sandals.

I have a brother and a brother in law who won't wear shorts, because their legs are too white. Duh. Men are strange creatures.

If you are not doing something that is mainstream accepted, then you probably have an irrational hang up. I doubt if OPs wife really cares if he wears flip flops, but she probably recognizes that he has nonsensical thinking, and she wants him to overcome it.

In your opinion it is a hang up just like they may think if you wear make up you have self esteem issues.
You should probably stop wearing make up so you can overcome your self esteem issues....

Old 11-30-2015, 03:04 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,231,243 times
As someone who is a flip flop aficionado, and dons them as soon as the day time temps hit 60 degrees... wear what you feel comfortable with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty