Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2015, 08:53 PM

2,542 posts, read 6,916,812 times

Advertisements

I'm interested in permanently removing my facial hair. Does anyone have any tips on picking a decent salon (such as cue words, questions to ask) and is there a an average fee? I looked it up once in the Phoenix area, and the places had prices on their websites. Now I am in Oregon, and every website says to call for prices. I forgot how much the Phoenix prices were, but they were cheap enough that I could swing it, but the "call for prices" has me worried that it is more expensive here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2015, 05:47 PM

50,377 posts, read 63,993,273 times
All I know is, if your hair is not dark, laser will not work. I went for a consult and it cost me $80 when they could have just asked me on the phone if the hair was blond or dark.
Call a bunch of dermatologists offices. Most of them offer cosmetic procedures.

Old 12-02-2015, 06:36 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,997,633 times
A good cosmetic dermatologist is what you want...not a "salon"..but a doctor who does this stuff!

Old 12-02-2015, 08:49 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,677,065 times
Are you aware that - to the best of my knowledge - electrolysis is still the only permanent hair removal solution?

Old 12-06-2015, 08:42 PM

828 posts, read 908,442 times
Most offer free consultations. I'd go to a couple and see where I felt most comfortable. And check their yelp reviews. Also, I wouldn't pick the cheapest one. Even if I were on a budget, I would prefer to go to a quality facility that I trust than the cheapest one.

Old 12-06-2015, 08:53 PM

1,484 posts, read 2,259,327 times
My mom had laser hair removal and it's permanent. She's not in PHX though but she had I think 4 sessions and it's permanently gone. It has been for like, 10+ years. But it's best on pale skin/dark, coarse hair combo. She's almost as pale as they come, with practically jet black hair though so it worked perfect for her.

I am in PHX and would like to have this done too but I haven't been able to afford it.
I agree - don't go with cheapest. I had tried a couple places with Groupon - I was glad because one place was rather rude and I didn't like their style.

Old 12-06-2015, 08:53 PM

19,039 posts, read 27,607,234 times
Just keep in mind that laser is one of the worst known carcinogens.

Old 12-07-2015, 08:34 AM

780 posts, read 678,871 times
Depending on your location, you may be able to snag a deal via Groupon.

What I would suggest is if you find something on Groupon, you can actually go to the place and check them out. Talk to the people there and if you're satisfied, mention the Groupon deal that you saw and they will honor the same pricing and possibly offer you a better discount. With Groupon, they only get a portion of the amount you purchase. If you pay them directly (Groupon pricing), they get all of it...so it's better for them.

I've done laser for my underarms. First 8 session was a success. I didn't have to shave for the longest time. About 3 or 4 years later, I started having the need to shave again, but it's much finer hair and very sparse. I had ingrown hair problems, that's why I initially went and laser that took care of that. I'm back for a few more sessions again now. I don't think it actually permanently get rid of it, at least not in my case (dark hair here). But, even if I would still have to keep shaving, the sessions I have done is a success in my books. I can now go for a week or two without having to shave or even if I forgot, the hair is so fine and very sparse, it's barely noticeable...unless you actually stand beside me, then naturally you'll see it haha.

Overall, for me, it's worth the money. I just save my money from spending on other things to be able to afford this.

Old 12-11-2015, 12:13 PM

1,517 posts, read 1,666,367 times
I went to a medical spa when I lived in Charlotte. They had licensed nurse practitioners performing the services. I found the place on Groupon. Money well spent because it worked. You'll definitely want to ask about the kind of laser used. I've been told the YAG laser yields the longest lasting results. Prices tend to vary depending the place. I'd call 3 different places for quotes and choose the middle of the road. Reason being, too cheap is risky as you get what you pay for. Too expensive is probably not necessary due to price "fluff". I paid $600+ for a series of 8 treatments for facial hair.

Old 12-14-2015, 12:51 PM

780 posts, read 678,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovely40 View Post
I went to a medical spa when I lived in Charlotte. They had licensed nurse practitioners performing the services. I found the place on Groupon. Money well spent because it worked. You'll definitely want to ask about the kind of laser used. I've been told the YAG laser yields the longest lasting results. Prices tend to vary depending the place. I'd call 3 different places for quotes and choose the middle of the road. Reason being, too cheap is risky as you get what you pay for. Too expensive is probably not necessary due to price "fluff". I paid $600+ for a series of 8 treatments for facial hair.
You paid $600 on a Groupon deal?!

My Groupon deal was $175 for a full bikini (considered extra large section)...but didn't really need the whole shebang because I don't have hair all over the "full bikini" spectrum, so I used the rest for my toes. I have 7 sessions for the price of $175...and I do recommend that place to anyone. The staff are great, very friendly and professional. The place also looks/feels very high-end like spa.

On Groupon (at least here in Toronto), you can easily find a $50 for 6 treatments on upper lip, because it's considered a "small area".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty