Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2015, 07:54 AM

4,640 posts, read 11,938,904 times

Advertisements

I have long wavy hair. I do very little to it in terms of heat styling so it's pretty good shape. How come stylists will take their scissors and cut into (like come up from the bottom) of the ends of my hair?

I have no idea what they're trying to achieve, but I hate the way my hair looks when they're done---it looks straggly and the ends get frizzy. So why do they do it?

On another note, I used to have stylists who would use a razor on my hair and I hated that, too. It would ruin my wave pattern. Now I tell them straight out no razors---no matter how "talented" they are with it and how their skill exceeds any one who's ever used a razor, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2015, 08:07 AM

3,863 posts, read 6,297,532 times
I've heard it's to create movement in the style, so the hair doesn't just hang straight. But if the hair is already wavy, wouldn't that be movement?

Old 12-08-2015, 09:43 AM

48,534 posts, read 34,863,037 times
Probably to "lighten" it up. I have long hair (middle of my back) and they cut into it a little so it hang heavy around my face.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 12-08-2015, 10:44 AM

2,575 posts, read 2,078,249 times
I think it's so your hair isnt just a straight, blunt line of hair at the bottom. I'm not sure though honestly

Old 12-08-2015, 10:51 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
It's for texture and movement. It's also a trend that comes and goes, depending on where you are (different things are popular in different parts of the country at different times, etc.) For a while, the razoring technique was hot, here, and there was as stretch of time when every stylist would razor the ends, and speak in horrified tones about using their shears. Then, like it had never existed, it was gone, and "nobody" was razoring anymore, it was all shears again. It's like any other fashion...trends are fickle, they come and go.

If you don't like the effect and want a blunt cut, tell them that. Some stylists take the intiative to just use whatever finishing technique they've most recently used, that is currently trendy, that they just personally like, and don't always take an inventory of that before doing so.

I find that if you have a very particular aversion to a specific technique, it's best to speak up about it prior to the stylist starting, so they know from the get-go that it's not what you want.

Old 12-08-2015, 11:27 AM

620 posts, read 639,016 times
It creates a more realistic finish. Your hair doesn't grow at the exact same rate creating a perfectly straight line.

Old 12-10-2015, 08:51 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,831,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bande1102 View Post
I have long wavy hair. I do very little to it in terms of heat styling so it's pretty good shape. How come stylists will take their scissors and cut into (like come up from the bottom) of the ends of my hair?

I have no idea what they're trying to achieve, but I hate the way my hair looks when they're done---it looks straggly and the ends get frizzy. So why do they do it?

On another note, I used to have stylists who would use a razor on my hair and I hated that, too. It would ruin my wave pattern. Now I tell them straight out no razors---no matter how "talented" they are with it and how their skill exceeds any one who's ever used a razor, etc.

Tell your stylist what you want. I've made it clear to mine that I want no razor cutting. It's scissors all the way, with the ends blunt-cut and heavy. He's more than happy to oblige.

Old 12-10-2015, 09:29 PM

2,492 posts, read 3,031,370 times
The term is called texturizing.

Old 12-11-2015, 09:25 AM

4,640 posts, read 11,938,904 times
Yeah, apparently it's called point cutting. I ended up looking it up and it's most often done on short hair. I have no idea what she's trying to achieve on my long hair. It's also not supposed to be done more than every 3 haircuts or your risk straggly hair. The best I can tell, she's trying to soften the hemline. I just don't think I need that on wavy hair.

I go in for a trim and the point cutting makes my ends look worse: frayed, thin, etc.

Oh, I hated the razor. I make a point to specifically say no razor so I guess I'll have to add point-cutting to that, too, lol.

Old 12-11-2015, 11:26 AM

620 posts, read 639,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bande1102 View Post
It's also not supposed to be done more than every 3 haircuts or your risk straggly hair.
Depends how much you have cut off each time. If you have 2+" cut off, then any point cutting done the previous time is now on the floor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty