Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2015, 05:58 AM

186 posts, read 157,696 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

Not sure this is the right subforum, but could not find a better one.

I have this weird problem: my clothes do not really smell nice after I take them out of the washing machine.

Anyone else encountered this? I never had it before.
Could it be that some dirt is left behind in the machine or maybe some fungus?

What would be an easy way to try and fix this problem?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2015, 06:35 AM

620 posts, read 638,322 times
If it's a top loader: How To Clean A Top Loading Washing Machine With Vinegar And Bleach! || Practically Functional

Also, don't ever leave wet clothes in the washer or dryer. As soon as the wash cycle is done, dry the clothes. Leaving them to sit wet will cause mildew.

Old 12-22-2015, 06:52 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,537,463 times
I also leave my washer door up and the soap dispenser drawer fully open to air dry for a couple of days after using the washer.

Old 12-22-2015, 07:03 AM

186 posts, read 157,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
I also leave my washer door up and the soap dispenser drawer fully open to air dry for a couple of days after using the washer.
I could do that perhaps!
I already cleaned the soap dispenser once, for some reason those things (and internally the machine) do get dirty.
Kinda weird.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yandex View Post
If it's a top loader: How To Clean A Top Loading Washing Machine With Vinegar And Bleach! || Practically Functional

Also, don't ever leave wet clothes in the washer or dryer. As soon as the wash cycle is done, dry the clothes. Leaving them to sit wet will cause mildew.
I never leave wet clothes behind! I always take them out right after the cycle to dry.

I do not have a top loading machine! I always figured this to be something only found in the USA
(in Europe I am not really aware of those machines )

The vinegar and bleach thing is something I might give a try.
The vinegar was something I already figured to try, bleach might be another interesting approach.

Old 12-22-2015, 07:26 AM

1,664 posts, read 1,915,057 times
Don't think about the vinegar and bleach, just do it

Washers do collect gunk, over time and need cleaned, just like the dishwasher

Old 12-22-2015, 07:55 AM

620 posts, read 638,322 times
Just remember not to mix the vinegar and bleach ... they are separate cycles.

For front loading: How to Clean your Washing Machine - Clean and Scentsible

Old 12-22-2015, 07:59 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times
Front loaders are notorious for getting gunky and mildew-y

Old 12-22-2015, 08:14 AM

3,644 posts, read 10,936,800 times
Adding baking soda to your wash cycle can help. Also, we use vinegar instead of fabric softener. It's better on the clothes/fabric although not any cheaper

If you have a front loading washer, you need to clean behind the rubber gaskets on the front of your machine... there is absolutely mold/mildew built up there. Cleaning gaskets is something people don't think of, but if you haven't washed the gasket on your washer (or refrigerator), I guarantee you it needs it, monthly at least

Old 12-22-2015, 08:25 AM

25,939 posts, read 22,089,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Front loaders are notorious for getting gunky and mildew-y
Yes and sadly, these newer top loaders are now doing the same. My top loader has a "cleaning" cycle. The lid must be left open and it needs to be "cleaned" monthly to avoid the mildew smell that doesn't go away. It is much worse when the humidity rises and probably less evident in dry climates.

Old 12-22-2015, 08:33 AM

6,048 posts, read 18,415,087 times
You're using a front load machine?
I have a top load - I've read WAY too many complaints about front load machines and their tendency to build up gunk behind the door seals.

From all I've read, you need to leave the door open after washing to let everything thoroughly dry out. Leave it open for a minimum of 23 hours. Some people also pull the seal back and carefully wipe it out.
Another thing is to be sure to use the HE or High Effinciency detergent. Also, towels seem to do better with a powder detergent rather than a liquid detergent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty