Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2015, 02:53 AM

2,945 posts, read 4,991,361 times

Advertisements

Elementary and even then there's a limit. When you have a 9-10 year old girl who chest wise looks mature and is 5"6 a bow just doesn't look right.

Bows are cute in elementary and when the girl is small. I know she's still 9 but I've seen some really big girls in bows....like middle school volleyball will be recruiting the minute she hits 6th.

So like 7 should be the cutoff. Even physically larger/hefty girls are still small enough to where it distracts from other things and looks cute. Older than that and physically bigger it looks silly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2015, 07:49 AM

24,202 posts, read 19,206,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diddlydudette View Post
I love scarves. There's a big difference in scarves and little hair bows though. Scarves are classy on a lady but that same lady wearing a hair bow would look silly.
I agree with this, I would distinguish between a scarf and a bow/ribbon.

I think an adult can wear a scarf in her air, like the first couple of looks here How-To Hair Girl | Incorporating scarves into your 'do (I'm less fond of the last one pictured)

or

here number 4 on this page 7 easy ways to pimp your ponytail - Fox In Flats :: Fox In Flats

But not bows after once she's in her teens.

Old 12-24-2015, 08:40 AM

2,813 posts, read 2,113,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DejaBlue View Post
Elementary and even then there's a limit. When you have a 9-10 year old girl who chest wise looks mature and is 5"6 a bow just doesn't look right.

Bows are cute in elementary and when the girl is small. I know she's still 9 but I've seen some really big girls in bows....like middle school volleyball will be recruiting the minute she hits 6th.

So like 7 should be the cutoff. Even physically larger/hefty girls are still small enough to where it distracts from other things and looks cute. Older than that and physically bigger it looks silly.
That is just sad. And kind of mean. Like parents I know who forced their 9 year old daughter to quit swim team because she started her period

Little girls should be allowed to be little girls regardless of their "chest development" or height! We don't ship them off to be married and bear children because their early development. They don't learn to drive any earlier, work any earlier. Why would you want them to "grow up" faster than their peers? Seriously, that's sad.

Old 12-24-2015, 04:33 PM

4,575 posts, read 5,190,967 times
I would lose them before the teens hit. So at best, up to the age of 12. But again, at best. Otherwise that seem like a little girl thing, not a young women type of thing. But this is just my opinion. I stopped wearing them long ago. But I wouldn't fault anyone who did still like them.

Old 12-24-2015, 06:13 PM

1,040 posts, read 1,292,064 times
This woman in her mid-50s I know wears big hair bows. IMHO, she looks totally ridiculous. I wonder where she even gets them--a kid's store?

In the 1980s, when she was at the appropriate bow-wearing age, it was really popular because of Madonna.

People sometimes get stuck in certain times. This woman definitely is. She's also got a rat tail.

Old 12-25-2015, 06:54 PM

2,945 posts, read 4,991,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfternoonCoffee View Post
That is just sad. And kind of mean. Like parents I know who forced their 9 year old daughter to quit swim team because she started her period

Little girls should be allowed to be little girls regardless of their "chest development" or height! We don't ship them off to be married and bear children because their early development. They don't learn to drive any earlier, work any earlier. Why would you want them to "grow up" faster than their peers? Seriously, that's sad.

A bow doesn't make a girl a little girl.

It's a kitschy thing for small girls. Older it does look silly. A girl can still be a little girl even if she has her period at 9 and not be wearing a bow.

That's like parents dressing them in short dresses with lacy and flounce. It's cute on smaller and younger girls. There's clothes that still look "little girl" without dressing a breast developed 9-10 year old like Honey Boo Boo or JonBenet Ramsey.

Old 12-25-2015, 09:37 PM

1,838 posts, read 2,021,497 times
Twice in the past week I have seen hair bows on barettes on young ladies. One was probably a teen and the other in her twenties. Both had their hair pulled back simply and were appropriately dressed for their age. The bows looked perfectly fine.

Old 12-25-2015, 09:41 PM

2,813 posts, read 2,113,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DejaBlue View Post
A bow doesn't make a girl a little girl.

It's a kitschy thing for small girls. Older it does look silly. A girl can still be a little girl even if she has her period at 9 and not be wearing a bow.

That's like parents dressing them in short dresses with lacy and flounce. It's cute on smaller and younger girls. There's clothes that still look "little girl" without dressing a breast developed 9-10 year old like Honey Boo Boo or JonBenet Ramsey.
Of course "a bow doesn't make a girl a little girl" You're looking at this backward. My point was that breast development or height doesn't make a little girl an older girl. So a little girl who loves hairbows and has always worn them, and all her friends wear them, suddenly is banned from wearing them because she started developing breasts at 8? Or had a growth spurt?? She's still a little girl just like all her peers and shouldn't have to change her hairstyle because she grew. I know a family with 3 very tall young girls, and they all wear hairbows. And honestly, I think the parents like that the bows remind people that these are little girls who are much younger than they might appear at first glance.

You totally lost me with HoneyBooBoo and JonBenet--I'm not sure how they relate to your point.

Old 12-30-2015, 12:37 AM

8,495 posts, read 4,161,204 times
I remember in the 1980s, women of all ages, even in the corporate world, were wearing bows in their hair. I don't think there should be an age limit on bows - if a woman likes to wear a bow, she can in an appropriate way. A black bow is classic.

Old 12-31-2015, 11:07 AM

16,071 posts, read 21,144,062 times
I think it totally depends on circumstances. Not too crazy about barette type side bows on grown women but a bow at the back can be fine up until you are quite a bit older
http://icmt2010.org/wp-content/uploa...ck-leather.jpg
http://www.sophiegee.com/wp-content/...oux-293008.jpg
You have to be able to pull it off though, something like this I don't like at all
http://www.polyvore.com/cgi/img-thin...&tid=105555979
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty