Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-24-2015, 03:50 AM

3,376 posts, read 6,102,410 times

Advertisements

So I've started wearing pants again due to wanting to ride my motorcycle a little regularly.
As long as there isn't any ice on the ground, I'll rip my 650 in 20 degree weather, it's a blast!!

Anyways, the only pair of pants that seems to suit me well are some old, woodland BDU pants that I picked up at thrift store.
Size 40 and they fit just right.
Thing is they're starting to come apart now and I'm not finding very many used pairs of that particular color in my size much any more(bring on the weight/size critique!!lol)
And the newer, ABU patterns I've been finding that are more plentiful tend to wear out much quicker than these older pair I wear regularly.

I've contemplated new clothes shopping, particularly blue jeans or other denims with 6-8 pockets(two large ones on the side, two on each ankle, and then the regular ones near the waist.) but it seems the most they've got is maybe a pocket along the thigh for a cellphone and that's it.
Seems to be more about fashion, then functionality and any more gear, they expect it to be hung off the waist like a plumber.

Only thing I could think of now is finding some used jean and then splicing the pockets from the worn out ABU fatigues pants onto the jeans.
It'll be a little off-putting of course, but it'll definitely be something different.

Now to just make sure I use the right threads and get the stitching right so the pockets will stay on there for awhile.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2015, 04:34 AM

5,404 posts, read 3,595,350 times
sewing up pockets on camo clothing? sacrilege !!!

Old 12-27-2015, 11:08 PM

2,144 posts, read 1,877,553 times
Tactical cargo pants?

You could make pockets on the outside of other pants, but it would probably look odd and would only be as strong as the weakest stitch.

Old 12-27-2015, 11:21 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,859,038 times
You can still get cargo jeans and they're not expensive. Wrangler® Denim Loose Fit Cargo Jean | Wrangler

Sewing the pockets from your old pants onto jeans is going to be more of a project than you're thinking it will be, unless you've got a good sewing machine. Hand stitching won't be as strong and if you overload your pockets, your seams will start to come out and you may not realize it until you've lost the contents of your pocket. Denim can also be pretty tough to sew through by hand, especially where any seams are.

If there are any raw edges on the pockets you take off, use Fray Check or a similar product to treat the edges before you sew the pockets onto the jeans.

Old 12-30-2015, 08:44 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,503,954 times
Go to Duluth trading and get a set of their fire hose pants. I use those all the time. Huge pockets and tough

Old 12-31-2015, 03:56 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times
I found this site for you:

Motorcycle Pants - Leather, Textile, Denim & Waterproof - RevZilla

Unless you are into the recycled clothing movement, and like to wear repurposed clothing, I'd suggest trying to buy a new pair. Do you really want to be concerned about your pockets coming off when you are riding?

Electrician4you recommended Duluth Trading, and I think the fire hose pants would indeed be a possibility.

Women's Workwear, Women's Work Clothing
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty