Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2015, 05:39 PM

22,823 posts, read 6,433,253 times

Advertisements

There's lots of perfume/cologne commercials on TV around Christmas time so
I guess it's still a big seller.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2015, 06:22 PM

7,682 posts, read 1,270,405 times
This ol' lady (I'm 64) can no longer wear perfume or cologne--I get a wicked headache from most scents--I can't even tolerate scented candles.

My "go to" fragrance these days is baby powder or sometimes Jean Nate spray but I've had that bottle for so long it's probably time to pitch it.

OTOH, daughter #2 l (22 yrs old) literally BATHES in Axe spray ("strong enough for a woman but made for a man..." ) I think she does it just to tick me off....

Old 12-25-2015, 06:43 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,659,091 times
I'm older and I don't wear perfume or anything else scented. I don't know anyone else who does either.

The last time I remember being stunk out of a room it was by a man wearing cologne or after shave.

Old 12-25-2015, 09:49 PM

3,699 posts, read 3,854,441 times
Perhaps.. I do notice that, I think. I will say though that since I have quit smoking a year ago the sheer number of women I can literally smell half a block away on their period is out of control. I have never noticed it before when I was a smoker. I actually, up until pretty recently actually, thought that smell was totally something else (moth balls.. really!) Worst.smell.EVER. And before anyone calls me a misogynist, men with smelly balls is just as gross, but it's not as pungent and you have to be pretty dirty to actually have smelly balls. You don't have to be a dirty person to smell from menstruation, but it's the worst smell in the world and I feel like such a horrible person even thinking/saying that. Seriously question for straight men though, is that smell a turn on? I'd imagine it is for mating purposes!? yuck.

Old 12-26-2015, 01:04 AM

37,131 posts, read 42,193,480 times
Not really. I do notice the sweet smells most often worn by young women (HATE Pink Sugar!!) but you may notice the scents on older women because they are they are often stronger, older scents that have been around for ages and those were naturally strong. Plus the modern nose of most people aren't used to those, yet they barely notice the "cupcake and candy" scents they have grown up with.

Old 12-26-2015, 01:34 AM

8,869 posts, read 16,312,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobiashen View Post
I remember watching my mother (who was born in 1926) picking up that bottle and just spraying it everywhere! She liked "Emeraude," "Toujours Moi," and "Ciara." I'm afraid I took a heavy hand to it in my teens and 20s, but after that, I slowed down and gradually stopped using it altogether.
I remember being in my teens when I read "how to put on perfume" in a fashion magazine. They said to spray it into the air in front of yourself and then walk through it. I took this to heart and in about a week my mother was screaming, "What on earth smells in this house?!"

Practically everyone in my high school wore a perfume called Ambush. It was in a bright pink bottle. Even the guys got into the act. They started wearing cologne, too. English Leather and Canoé (which we thought was pronounced ca-NEW) were the favorites.

I agree with those who say that many older people over-do fragrances because their own sense of smell is no longer acute. I used to work in a Caswell-Massey store and our fragrances most popular with older women were the strongest. Their single-note fragrance Gardenia was a best seller, but I never sold it to anyone under 60, unless it was a gift for their mother or grandma.

Old 12-26-2015, 04:43 AM

4,936 posts, read 3,310,540 times
I am 55 and no not me. I had a young nurse long ago, who had a very sweet powdery sultry heavy perfume sort of gag odour I am sure it was real nice for a night about town but not at hospital beds it was cloyingly sweet chemical scent.

Old 12-26-2015, 05:24 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,182,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kicks45 View Post
Maybe it's just me, but it seems as if whenever I am out and I am standing behind or some older woman - and by older I am talking 60+ - I can seemingly always smell a strong perfume. Some in their 50s but definitely women in the 60+ range seem to really put on the perfume, anyone else notice this?
Nope. Most of the time the offender is a woman in her late thirties or forties, not an older woman. I have attributed it to the fact that some women get desperate about being "over the hill" as they approach mid life and start trying do things to fend off the inevitable and turn into complete nutters.

Old 12-26-2015, 05:31 AM

25,943 posts, read 22,094,372 times
From what I experience, I would no. I have noticed the younger ones seem to overuse and I suspect, by looking at them, that they use it to cover up for their lack of personal hygiene. It doesn't work. I am guessing that not washing themselves and their clothing adds to the buildup.

Old 12-26-2015, 05:48 AM

18,526 posts, read 18,735,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
yup-and I'm 66.

but I've noticed this for years. I think it's because the sense of smell diminishes with age so they don't realize how much they put on.
not for this old dear it hasnt.. I hate the bloody stuff... used it up until the early 80s but was making me so ill I had to stop using all perfumes and scented cleaners...what I have noticed though is the amount of people wearing perfume during the day, even men are howling..... money is more available for these things as years ago it was a tiny bottle of Dior for your handbag not a big monstrosity of a spray... and people are being taken to the cleaners with the prices , they should check that their paying through the nose for petro chemicals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty