Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2015, 03:10 PM

584 posts, read 2,148,309 times

Advertisements

I'm trying to keep my various clothes looking nice. I don't dry clean, but if I hang clothes to dry, they can possibly stretch and it takes a long time for them to dry even with fan. If I put them in dryer, all that lint that comes off is pieces of material so it can wear down clothes faster, and for some reason my dryer seems to take a long time, plus I don't know if it is good for tshirts with stuff on the front. If I hang my clothes in the closet, they get those shoulder bumps which are terrible. But folding and putting everything on shelves takes a long time. I'm trying to make laundry/clothes a faster chore and less of a weight. But more importantly I'm trying to keep my clothes look nice and last a very long time. I know there is no great solution, but any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2015, 03:17 PM

7,244 posts, read 7,066,230 times
Turn them inside out when you wash and dry. Dry until mostly dry and then hang or lay flat to finish. Jeans and dress slacks can be worn a few times before laundering. Undershirts will keep dress shirts nicer longer and are cheap. But eventually all clothes will wear out.

Old 12-29-2015, 03:23 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kab0906 View Post
Turn them inside out when you wash and dry. Dry until mostly dry and then hang or lay flat to finish. Jeans and dress slacks can be worn a few times before laundering. Undershirts will keep dress shirts nicer longer and are cheap. But eventually all clothes will wear out.
This. I usually dry my tees about 20 minutes on perma press cycle, and then pull them out still quite damp and hang them on tubular plastic hangers. When you store things off season, fold them and put them in drawers.

After you wear your jeans once, spritz them with water and run them through a 20 min dry cycle to shape them up again.

Old 12-29-2015, 03:24 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,444,796 times
Wash in warm or cold water instead of hot. Use a lower heat drying as well. Also, as already mentioned, don't fully dry in the dryer - long enough to mostly dry and be rid of wrinkles, then either hang dry or lay flat to finish.

Old 12-29-2015, 08:37 PM

584 posts, read 2,148,309 times
I forgot to add that a lot of my clothes say lay flat to dry, I don't have room to lay things out to dry, I'm guessing this is so they don't stretch? Also, why do most of you mention to partial dry in dryer. Full dry is bad? My dryer has a small vent inside that is some sort of metal. I was curious as to whether this is bad for my clothes. When they toss and turn and the wet clothes rub against it.

Old 12-29-2015, 09:41 PM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
If you're that fussy, try a laundry service.

Old 12-29-2015, 10:57 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgmv90 View Post
I forgot to add that a lot of my clothes say lay flat to dry, I don't have room to lay things out to dry, I'm guessing this is so they don't stretch? Also, why do most of you mention to partial dry in dryer. Full dry is bad? My dryer has a small vent inside that is some sort of metal. I was curious as to whether this is bad for my clothes. When they toss and turn and the wet clothes rub against it.
I don't have room to lay things flat to dry either. I hang things up. I actually want my knits to stretch down so they don't look shrunken. The reason I don't dry my perma press things completely is to prevent shrinkage and because often, at least with knits, wrinkles set in. I have better luck letting them dry on hangers.

With woven shirts, I like to pull them out before they are dry, but sometimes I end up ironing them anyway. I've had all sorts of experiences with woven permanent press shirts! I never know.

I will make room for a wool sweater to lay flat. That is the best way to dry a wool piece. I lay it on a doubled towel on top of a counter. But I can't lay things flat all the time. Those directions are ridiculous and a cop out by the manufacturers.

Old 12-29-2015, 11:39 PM

1,544 posts, read 1,698,541 times
If I'm drying a single sweater I use this
https://www.allmodern.com/Pop-Open-M...-BJDS1003.html
I put in the tub for the first couple of hours and then move it to an area of tiled floor with a towel under it.
If I am washing more than one item that needs to be dried flat I use an item similar to this
Amazon.com - Honey-Can-Do DRY-01610 Heavy Duty Gullwing Drying Rack, White - Clothes Drying Racks
Mine can handle 4 sweaters laying flat.

Old 12-30-2015, 09:27 AM

14,246 posts, read 14,720,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Wash in warm or cold water instead of hot. Use a lower heat drying as well. Also, as already mentioned, don't fully dry in the dryer - long enough to mostly dry and be rid of wrinkles, then either hang dry or lay flat to finish.
All this plus a gentle wash cycle.

Old 12-30-2015, 09:35 AM

3,062 posts, read 7,030,601 times
Not using the dryer makes your clothes more linty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty