Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2016, 07:59 PM

645 posts, read 744,072 times

Advertisements

getting older and losing beauty completely sucks! but we all have to do it unless you have money for surgery and even those people don't get more beautiful they just look funny from all the surgery....the reality is we all get old and eventually die....just have to deal with it.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2016, 08:25 PM

22,286 posts, read 11,787,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reen79 View Post
getting older and losing beauty completely sucks! but we all have to do it unless you have money for surgery and even those people don't get more beautiful they just look funny from all the surgery....the reality is we all get old and eventually die....just have to deal with it.....
Amazing, isn't it? All those celebs with botched plastic surgery. You would think that with the money they have they could hire the very best. Yet so many of them look worse after the surgery. When I see the before and after photos, some of those celebs looked much better before surgery. Too bad they couldn't leave well enough alone.

As for me---I'm 62 now and getting grayer by the day and decided to leave it alone. That said, I do think those that gray evenly are fortunate. My graying is occurring in the front. In the back, my hair is still mostly dark. On the other hand, my husband started graying when he was 17 and he grayed evenly. When he got his haircut recently, his hair cutter told him he was lucky for that reason!

I've always said that if I won the lottery, I would go for a tummy tuck and some liposuction and just leave my face alone That said, I recently had a chance to see a photo of myself taken 30 years ago when our daughter was born and a more recent one. It's not hard to see that I've aged but it is what it is

Old 01-06-2016, 09:26 PM

7,115 posts, read 8,599,417 times
I think I just learned to lower my standards...;0

Old 01-06-2016, 09:36 PM

13,437 posts, read 15,347,491 times
Growing older doesn't mean that your lose your looks or you look "ravaged". (That sounds like such a MALE thing to say!) If you take care of yourself and your skin, many people will age gracefully.

Thankfully at 40 I don't have wrinkles and haven't changed much. That is due in large part to genetics. But truthfully, things do subtly change. It's a naturally occurring process. For example, I regularly was carded in the past when I went to a bar. Now, no. While my face is structurally the same as it always was, you just naturally look "mature" for lack of a better world. And I accept it. Just like I accept the stray grey hair that dares to sprout out of my head.

Fact is whether we accept aging or not, it happens. That is life.

Old 01-06-2016, 11:10 PM

509 posts, read 903,105 times
What choice do we have BUT to accept it?

Old 01-06-2016, 11:17 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,277,853 times
I don't feel ravaged. I feel like I look my age, look fine, and am fine with that.

I have crow's feet. 38 years of squinting into the sun, no big shocker, there. Other than that, not much by way of wrinkles, probably mostly because I'm very, very fair and have always protected against the sun. I also try to get enough sleep, don't smoke/never have, hydrate well, and inherited apparently good genes in term of youthful skin.

I have white hairs here and there that sprouted along my part starting when I turned 35. I got a few years on my mom, who noticed her first white hairs in the same place when she was 31. No biggie, they blend in with my natural highlights, anyway.

I've had expression lines on my forehead since I was in high school, because of the expressive way I raise my eyebrows when I talk. My three-month old son has a furrowed brow, too, and he doesn't even talk yet, obviously. But he has some similar facial expressions to me already. So I'm guessing he'll have forehead expression lines early, too.

Old 01-06-2016, 11:57 PM

13,437 posts, read 15,347,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frida7 View Post
What choice do we have BUT to accept it?
You can worry and obsess. You get work done or whatever. Or you can just accept things for what they are.

Old 01-07-2016, 05:25 AM

18,439 posts, read 18,563,452 times
After watching the Bus Pass Beauty Pageant on telly last night I think at 68 Im doing pretty well or a lot better than I thought I was hahaha.

Old 01-07-2016, 06:47 AM

4,705 posts, read 4,359,975 times
Actually I can relate to this. I am early 60's and see a change in my face. It;s not really wrinkles per se, but it;s more that the muscle tone in the face is definitely lessened and sagging. I also have in the past maybe 2 or 3 years gotten more pronounced bags under my eyes.
I think it's bone structure/lessened fat deposits. I do use moisturizers and eye creams but I think the only thing that might change it could be some sort of surgery which I really can't consider.

I dont mind looking my age, it's not like I want to look younger, I just want to look better.

Old 01-07-2016, 07:14 AM

67,655 posts, read 60,260,650 times
Like someone else mentioned, I have always had a layer of " baby fat" on my face till recently - till about my forties. My mom always called me the Campbell Soup Kid and that's about how I always looked - soft, healthy, good skin, good hair, but with a round face, round eyes, round nose, round mouth - sheeze!

So when I got into my forties, I FINALLY started seeing some definition to my face. I have high cheekbones! Who ever knew? LOL My eyes finally got some depth to them. My nose looks less like a little piece of dough and more like, well, a nose.

Now I'm in my mid fifties, and I still don't have wrinkles - not a one, which is actually sort of amazing to me. I like my face. But what I DON'T like is the skin on my neck, which is losing it's elasticity - it's not gone but it's going and believe me, if I get a turkey neck I WILL have cosmetic surgery to correct it. I also have to color my hair because it is a hodgepodge of white, auburn, and gray - BLECH. But coloring it isn't that big a deal. I am hoping it goes stark white like my grandmother's and mother's because if it does, I will totally rock that look with some sort of really fun, dramatic hair style (I think I will always have very thick hair because no one in my family seems to lose that no matter how old they are). But till it's at that point, I'm coloring it.

The thing I REALLY don't like, and which seems beyond my control, is the thicker, post menopause waistline and loss of muscle tone. I've never been thin, but I've always been muscular and firm and curvy in a good way. But I need that waist to offset my other "curves" and it's gone! I mean gone. YUCK. I really hate that. I also hate that the skin on my arms and legs isn't as firm and tight as it used to be.

Oh well, that's what cute clothes are for. My husband seems fine with the changes and he's the only one I'm ever naked around, but still...I wish I still looked good in a bathing suit but thank goodness for cover ups.

And I do try to dress well and love accessorizing, and I have a cute hairstyle that I keep in good shape. At this age, 53, I don't expect or need the attention or desire of strangers when it comes to my looks. What I do need is respect, and I think it helps to dress well for starters. So I do wear sharp clothes and I don't leave the house unless I'm "put together" (other than if we're riding bikes or walking the dogs on local trails - of course then I'm dressed super casual).

One thing I've noticed about getting older is that when it comes to makeup, less is more, which is a welcome adjustment. I am grateful for good skin, because it would be depressing, I think, to need to wear less makeup but have problematic skin or lots of wrinkles. "Back in the day" I felt like I needed makeup to give my face some definition, especially around the eyes and on the cheekbones. Now I have that definition so I need very little makeup and that's GREAT. I like that I can focus on lip color because that's the most fun anyway! I have dark eyes so all I need is a smudge of eyeliner and mascara, then BB cream and a touch of blush. Takes 5 minutes and that's a big benefit to me.

I had a health setback a couple of years ago and that gave me a lot of empathy for people with disabilities, as well as empathy for those who suffer chronic pain or who are housebound. It was a learning experience. It took a toll on my looks and energy level as well - thankfully that was a temporary toll but it took longer to "rebound" as well, which was a sobering experience. It made me very grateful for good health and energy - and made me realize how quickly it can be lost. So I savor each day of health and well being.

Last edited by KathrynAragon; 01-07-2016 at 07:24 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty