Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2016, 02:27 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,936,608 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by picklejuice View Post
Lost looks can't compare to loss of health. If you have your health, you have everything!
Hard to argue with that; it could always be worse!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2016, 02:36 PM

2,540 posts, read 2,754,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitten01 View Post
My grandmother was in her 60s before she started getting fine lines and wrinkles in her face. My mom is turning 60 and she doesn't have any wrinkles or sagging face. And neither of them ate particularly healthy or drank much water.
Same thing with mom. She had zero wrinkles until she was about 68 years old. And the thing is, she was very low-maintenance when it came to skin care. She rarely used moisturizers let alone sunscreen. She loves to cook, so perhaps having her skin constantly exposed to steam from cooking probably helped.

Old 01-08-2016, 02:39 PM

2,540 posts, read 2,754,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElizaTeal View Post
It's all in your attitude. I take my number 11 lines to mean I'm better than a 10, and laugh line are an outward sign of my happiness.
Ha! That's the spirit! "I'm better than a 10, can't you see? I've got an 11 etched on my forehead!"

Old 01-08-2016, 03:19 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,352,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Maybe this should be in the psychology thread, but... Former "beauties," how do you handle the invariable ravages of age?
Interesting...I guess women who were told they were "beautiful" would have it tougher aging than the rest of us who have never been called "beautiful"? I guess we age but going from mediocre to worse is a nonevent.

Old 01-08-2016, 03:31 PM

2,687 posts, read 7,406,958 times
Wink lol..

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Maybe this should be in the psychology thread, but... Former "beauties," how do you handle the invariable ravages of age?
with lots and lots of creams and lotions...
K

Old 01-08-2016, 03:33 PM

2,687 posts, read 7,406,958 times
Wink gasp...

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanCrossroads View Post
Ha! That's the spirit! "I'm better than a 10, can't you see? I've got an 11 etched on my forehead!"
Hate to tell ya...that ain't no number 11...they're wrinkles from squinting...lol
k

Old 01-08-2016, 04:01 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitten01 View Post
My grandmother was in her 60s before she started getting fine lines and wrinkles in her face. My mom is turning 60 and she doesn't have any wrinkles or sagging face. And neither of them ate particularly healthy or drank much water. I'm a health nut...fruits and veggies everyday, working out daily, etc....so I'm not worried about my face looking bad anytime soon.

Childbirth and nursing didn't do my boobs any favors, but that is being fixed soon. Other than that, my body looks pretty good for a 40 year old mom of 2. I figure by the time things go south I'll be too old to really care. LOL
Believe me - you still care about being attractive when you're in your fifties, and from what I hear - your sixties as well. My mother is in her seventies and she still cares very much about how she looks, dresses, etc.

Just giving you a friendly heads' up.

Old 01-08-2016, 04:14 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Interesting...I guess women who were told they were "beautiful" would have it tougher aging than the rest of us who have never been called "beautiful"? I guess we age but going from mediocre to worse is a nonevent.
LOL.

OK, here's my family story:

My mother was a BEAUTY when she was young. She did some modeling in fact. She was tall (5'10") with long legs and a tiny waist and a face that looked exactly like Vivian Leigh in her younger days. She was also very graceful and rather quiet - so she exuded class and style.

Along came me - the Campbell Soup Kid, as she called me. I was always healthy, glowing, energetic, rambunctious - and NOT slim and long and lean and graceful. I was more like sturdy, strong, exuberant and clumsy. My features were not well defined because I had a round face, a pug nose, and tons of thick, curly, springy hair. I will give myself credit where credit is due - I have always looked healthy and I have a good smile and good skin. But compared to my glamorous mother, who was a cross between Jackie Kennedy and Audrey Hepburn, well, I always just felt like a klutz - like a Raggedy Ann doll next to a Barbie doll.

Well, my mother is in her seventies now and she hasn't aged particularly well. I mean, in a way she has - she has kept her figure neat and trim. But she doesn't have the same quality of skin I have (she never has - I inherited my skin from my dad's side of the family) and she has wrinkled very markedly. She is also so thin that her skin just seems to hang in wrinkled folds. She is stooped from osteoporosis as well.

My dad, whose side of the family I take after, still has great skin, good muscle tone, and very few wrinkles. He looks at least ten years younger than my mother now.

He tells me often that my mother is pretty obsessed with her looks, and I believe it. She is constantly buying new clothes, and constantly trying to wear things that cover up her neck and arms (very loose, wrinkled skin there). She spends hours back in her dressing area, trying things on, primping, etc. As my dad says, he feels sorry for her because it must be hard to be such a beauty and then lose it.

I wouldn't know. I was never a classic beauty, though I admit that my healthy looks have their own form of attractiveness. But I think aging will be easier for me because I think no matter how hard a person tries to define themselves otherwise, people who are naturally true beauties SURELY are defined in many ways by those striking looks, and when those looks go - as they invariably will - there has got to be a vacuum of some sorts there. Part of their identity is gone. For me - I still look healthy, energetic, and I have a good smile and good hair - I think I always will so I won't lose those assets probably, even as I look older over time.

I'm not worried about it.

Old 01-08-2016, 04:38 PM

2,492 posts, read 3,028,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeemama View Post
Try retinol on your 11s.😎
Which reminds me. How do i get this retinol. I want the real stuff like Retin A that i had for acne as a teen. I see it for sale online through Canadian pharmacies but don't want to waste or over pay money. I know it works , my late aunt used to use it and every so many years I'd see her and she would look younger then the last.

Old 01-08-2016, 05:10 PM

2,600 posts, read 3,683,923 times
I've been very fortunate in that my looks have gotten better with age, but I'm 41 and I know that isn't going to last much longer. The one thing that always stuck with me was hearing other women say that they felt invisible when they got older. I don't feel that way now, and I don't want to ever feel that way. It could happen, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty