Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2016, 04:02 AM

18,526 posts, read 18,744,531 times

Advertisements

Havent laughed so much in ages... my god.. I see women a lot younger looking and better looking that some of these who were sent from the UK to compete. how they won titles is beyond me but they were hysterical, Just wonder who paid to get them over to the US for this silly competition.. To me most were ordinary grannys... Some of the US women though were pretty nice.. maybe some work had been done on them though.. Diva gran, 67, takes part in beauty pageant with extremely saucy Beyonce routine - Mirror Online
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2016, 04:27 AM

1,194 posts, read 1,100,004 times
Old ladies having fun on their own time, their own dime.

It harms none, and brings joy to many lives.

So what if they're ordinary grannies? The performing arts give them a motivation towards physical health and emotionally uplifting social interaction.

A lot of hobbies are "silly". So what?

Let's either appreciate that they are out and about having fun, or blithely ignore them.

Old 01-07-2016, 04:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodmockingbird View Post
Old ladies having fun on their own time, their own dime.

It harms none, and brings joy to many lives.

So what if they're ordinary grannies? The performing arts give them a motivation towards physical health and emotionally uplifting social interaction.

A lot of hobbies are "silly". So what?

Let's either appreciate that they are out and about having fun, or blithely ignore them.
Im an old bird myself but no not for me... the humiliation is too much ..one black UK contestant did Beyonce... it was cringy

Last edited by dizzybint; 01-07-2016 at 05:13 AM..

Old 01-07-2016, 05:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
Im an old bird myself but no not for me... the humiliation is too much ..
And its not to my taste either.

But I like to do plenty of other things other people might think it's ridiculous for an old lady to do -- like dance hip hop with guys half my age at a workplace party, and climb trees for the fun of it. People can laugh at that too.

But those old gals at the pageant look mighty exhilarated and radiant, rather than "humiliated"!

It works for them.

At our age we get to be extremely distinct individuals, each with our own tastes and values.

Let's leave the in-group / out-group thinking to the kids. We get to live in our own skin and express our inner selves however works for us now. And not care a whole lot about whether something is according to somebody else' bland, homogenised, media-created aesthetic.

At my age, I'm "supposed" to be sitting in front of a television set, buying products to "make" me look "younger". Nope. As soon as the sun comes up I'll be out for my morning run. Nobody makes a dime off that. I feel great from it. And the neighbor kids can say whatever they want about "That's an old lady out running!" (I heard one of them marvel that phrase one time)

Mature age, and full expression of our personality -- whether it includes sexuality (like the glamour divas) or athleticism (like me) -- is not "humiliating"... unless we choose for it to be.

Rock on, Granny Divas!

Old 01-07-2016, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodmockingbird View Post
And its not to my taste either.

But I like to do plenty of other things other people might think it's ridiculous for an old lady to do -- like dance hip hop with guys half my age at a workplace party, and climb trees for the fun of it. People can laugh at that too.

But those old gals at the pageant look mighty exhilarated and radiant, rather than "humiliated"!

It works for them.

At our age we get to be extremely distinct individuals, each with our own tastes and values.

Let's leave the in-group / out-group thinking to the kids. We get to live in our own skin and express our inner selves however works for us now. And not care a whole lot about whether something is according to somebody else' bland, homogenised, media-created aesthetic.

At my age, I'm "supposed" to be sitting in front of a television set, buying products to "make" me look "younger". Nope. As soon as the sun comes up I'll be out for my morning run. Nobody makes a dime off that. I feel great from it. And the neighbor kids can say whatever they want about "That's an old lady out running!" (I heard one of them marvel that phrase one time)

Mature age, and full expression of our personality -- whether it includes sexuality (like the glamour divas) or athleticism (like me) -- is not "humiliating"... unless we choose for it to be.

Rock on, Granny Divas!
being fit and active is wonderful at any age..being Beyonce in hotpants isnt.

Old 01-07-2016, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
being fit and active is wonderful at any age..being Beyonce in hotpants isnt.
I agree, that fell into the category of 'bad taste' in my strictly personal opinion.

But I've come to accept that my ideas of good taste and bad are strictly 'my' tastes, and reflect the era of my upbringing.

I break lots of 'rules', and I'm equally willing to live and let live with some other old gal breaking the rules she wants to break.

de gustibvs dispvtandvm est

Matters of taste are (inherently) matters of dispute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty