Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2016, 10:58 AM

9,196 posts, read 7,227,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Longer feet wear higher heels more easily, because there's more foot to raise off the ground. The biggest factors of comfort, though, are high arches and flexible feet. The more you can push your heel directly over the ball of your foot, the better.
Ah ha! I knew there had to be something to that. Friends will go on about how comfortable their high heels are, and I'm always because they are anything but comfortable for my little feet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2016, 11:13 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,859,038 times
Not always true about longer feet...my feet have always been big and heels have never been comfortable. I can wear wedges but even heels that are supposed to be comfortable aren't comfortable for me.

Old 01-12-2016, 11:43 AM

4,380 posts, read 4,448,612 times
I'm 5'4" and have a hard time walking in heels period. I don't think I have anything over 3" and even those I rarely wear. (I also have a bad knee and find walking in heels tends to jack it up).

I agree with those that said the smaller sizes are more plentiful because there are less women buying them. It's kind of like going to buy jeans and all they have are 2's, 4's and 16+ but the 6 - 12's are sold out or there's only one pair left.

Old 01-12-2016, 11:48 AM

2,575 posts, read 2,074,625 times
I don't think height has anything to do with it. I'm short and i'm fine with standard heels, but I have some stilettos (5-6inches) that I just cannot walk in. I haven't really practiced much, but they killed my feet in the 5 mins they were on, so not worth it. Shame too.. because they are all super cute.

Old 01-12-2016, 03:32 PM
eok

6,684 posts, read 4,247,048 times
For a woman to walk in heels when she's short depends on how short she is. If she's only short one heel, it's hard. But if she's short two heels, it's much easier.

Old 01-12-2016, 04:30 PM

11,865 posts, read 16,994,999 times
I'm about 5'10" and I can wear heels easily. I don't do more than 4" though. I wear an 8.5 which is on the small size for my height. I also have a pretty long stride, so I think that helps.

I have a shorter coworker who wears heels every day. She says her feet kill her (and you can tell by the way she walks), but she doesn't like being short so she won't take them off. Crazy what some women will endure for the sake of vanity.

Old 01-12-2016, 04:39 PM

17,156 posts, read 12,951,087 times
I don't think the height of the woman has anything to do with heel wearing comfort, although if there were a difference, I'd say the advantage actually goes to us shorties. The weight of the woman does affect heel wearing comfort for sure. Consider the physics of high heel wearing (not to mention the illogic behind it). Instead of distributing our weight evenly throughout our entire foot as nature intended, we are concentrating our weight on the ball of the foot, alternating with a tiny peg which is elevated X number of inches above the ball of our foot. In that way, it would probably be easier for a short woman to wear them rather than a tall woman because tall women tend to be heavier and short women also usually have slightly better balance because of their lower center of gravity.

Old 01-12-2016, 05:17 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,719,822 times
Default What I was thinking...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
I don't think the height of the woman has anything to do with heel wearing comfort, although if there were a difference, I'd say the advantage actually goes to us shorties. The weight of the woman does affect heel wearing comfort for sure. Consider the physics of high heel wearing (not to mention the illogic behind it). Instead of distributing our weight evenly throughout our entire foot as nature intended, we are concentrating our weight on the ball of the foot, alternating with a tiny peg which is elevated X number of inches above the ball of our foot. In that way, it would probably be easier for a short woman to wear them rather than a tall woman because tall women tend to be heavier and short women also usually have slightly better balance because of their lower center of gravity.

That is what I was thinking too. I assumed they might have better balance because they are closer to the floor. I also wonder if possibly I am seeing more of these types of shoes in size 5/6 because maybe they did sell out in the bigger sizes?

Old 01-13-2016, 10:09 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,686,307 times
Picture two feet, one with five inches of foot behind the ball, and a longer one with eight inches of foot behind the ball. The ball of the foot is always on the floor. The shorter foot has to make a steeper angle to achieve the same height as the longer foot, and the longer foot can potentially wear a heel that is higher than a short foot can go. It's easier for flexible feet with high arches to wear taller shoes, but there's only so high any foot can go. I wear a 9.5 and four-inch heels aren't that tall for me. They don't even look particularly high. Six-inch heels are pushing it, but I do not have flexible feet. I might wear a very small platform, but I don't really like how they look.

Old 01-13-2016, 08:34 PM

645 posts, read 750,033 times
I don't think height really matters...most of it is balance.....if you can balance your good....if your a klutz you have a problem..lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty