Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2016, 10:54 PM

2,700 posts, read 4,910,610 times

Advertisements

what type dress would you wear to the 3:30 PM wedding of step-daughter?

Not sure what the time of the wedding has to do with wearing clothes...BUT anywho I would NOT wear the same dress as my wife.. I want to be noted for my own fashion sense....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2016, 11:32 PM

13,389 posts, read 6,373,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TN2HSV View Post
Wedding is in September (I know...a ways off). So, calendar says Fall but here in the South, temperatures will still say "summer". I have lots of time to find something, but it's fun to plan & discuss

She's decided (I think....the girl is very indecisive...takes after her dad!) to go with deep purple and silver for colors.

I can NOT wear silver or light gray. Horrible with my coloring. I have a feeling the MoB will choose a silver/pale gray dress anyway, and that's fine with me. MoG....she kind of reminds me of Rosanna-Rosanna-Danna from oldddd Saturday Night Live! LOL. There is seriously NO telling what she will show up in!

I look best in pastels or deep jewel tones (emerald green, sapphire blue or navy, plum, etc.)

I would and did wear a long dress for my step childrens weddings. If your husband and your child are in a tux, you should dress to the same level of formality.

Time of day doesn't really matter because most people no longer even know what level of formality should be worn at what time. Also, a 3:30 wedding is not really considered an afternoon wedding if its timed that way to fit in outdoor pics while light is good, a cocktail hour, a sit down dinner and all the other things people do now.

Having said all this, some of these issues are dictated by region. For example, in NY you will see tons of black in weddings even on the various mothers.

Pick a color that will complement and not clash with the other colors. If you haven't been to weddings recently in the location where it will take place, see if you can find pics through facebook or a local photographer web site.

Old 01-14-2016, 12:22 AM

4,053 posts, read 8,217,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
What a joyful occasion! It is so nice that your stepdaughter has included your son in the wedding.

I think your dress should coordinate with the color of the bridal party. I am not a fan of "mother of the bride" dresses.

I would wear a simple silk (or other fabric) sheath dress. Timeless and stylish. You can wear strappy sandals with that to dress it up a bit . Perhaps silver would go well with lavender. Or crystal encrusted sandals. If you would rather a closed toe shoe, you can go with nude pumps, or one's with a little zing.

Add a strand of pearls and you are a classic! A little lace, or glittering embellishments are fine - you needn't fade into the woodwork. However, I am not a fan of black in the bride's family, or black lace over nude - anywhere.

This is a tad dressier than simple - but I think it's lovely and perfect

Aidan Mattox - Beaded Sheath Dress - Saks.com

In fact, Aidan Mattox has many appropriate dresses at Saks. I wore one to the weddings of a relative, recently.

And another not close in color, but the style I am suggesting. Reviews state that it is comfortable, figure revealing without being sexy -

Sue Wong - Soutache Cocktail Dress - Saks.com
I did wore a sheath dress in one of the colors to my step daughter's wedding. Instead of pearls, I wore an antique rhinestone parure (earrings and statement necklace).

Old 01-14-2016, 07:23 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,858,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage 80 View Post
The ceremony is at 3:30pm, so I'm guessing the reception will probably be 4:30-10pm or 5-10pm. Therefore, since it a formal, evening wedding, you need to focus on formal clothing, like knee-length dressy cocktail dresses or elegant, flowy evening pantsuits.

Like another poster said, find out what colors the mother of the bride is wearing and choose a color that will harmonize with hers so that the wedding pictures look nice.

Here are some ideas:

Tahari Embroidered Lace Sheath Dress with Illusion Neckline | Nordstrom

Eliza J Embellished Crushed Taffeta Sheath Dress | Nordstrom

Chiara Boni La Petite Robe 'Stellina' Peplum Jersey Sheath Dress | Nordstrom

http://www1.bloomingdales.com/shop/p...3D231%26pn%3D1

http://www1.bloomingdales.com/shop/p...3D231%26pn%3D1

Great suggestions, Sage. I especially like the lace dress idea.

Old 01-14-2016, 10:32 AM

5,544 posts, read 8,268,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodmockingbird View Post
Go neutral, and tailored rather than slinky -- even if you have a figure that 'could' go slinky.

It's not just about what looks good on you, but it establishes a social role, that of the senior generation to the new couple. Tailored, neutral, respectable and responsible.

If the couple and their attendants are going with lavender, you could consider a darker shade of the same color, such as eggplant.

I would avoid any costume jewelry, but proudly wear precious metal and -stone heritage and heirloom pieces.

Always bear in mind that you are the backdrop, the sturdy and responsible (if elegant) person behind the scenes. You should be noticeable only at second glance at this performance, but that second glance should draw the eye to your high quality tailoring and your confident willingness to present yourself as the 'quiet' member of the production by choosing 'sedate' over 'flashy'.

Always make sure that you are comfortable in the dress by wearing it out and about a few times, such as to a luncheon date or out shopping, before the big event so that you will instinctively know how the dress fits and settles when you sit down, things like that. Then if it needs let out or taken in, you will have time to get it altered well before the wedding!
Agree with you so much. My daughter is getting married at 130 in the beautiful college chapel. So I have my eyes looking toward something suitable. It is her happy day

Old 01-14-2016, 10:37 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,078,297 times
Quote:
Right, I plan to do that. I know I shouldn't wear same color as mom of bride or groom.

Some moms of bride/groom go formal and wear a long gown. Even if they do, I don't plan to. Shouldn't I be a notch down from their level of "dressiness", whatever that is? That's what I was thinking.
tea length is lovely...and get on the phone and find out colors Mom's are wearing. Then find a shade that compliments you in the same color family.

Have you seen the flowers? Maybe get a sample corsage and choose a dress matching or complimenting a shade in the corsage. There are many shades of lavender...Have fun
a search https://www.google.com/search?q=mom+...sm=93&ie=UTF-8

Last edited by JanND; 01-14-2016 at 10:52 AM..

Old 01-14-2016, 10:55 AM

13,632 posts, read 12,253,936 times
My grandmother had a great line about being the Mother of the Groom; a role she played for four sons. "Your job is to wear beige, smile, and keep your mouth shut." In your case, as the Stepmother, I think you are in a very similar role. If you're worried, text your stepdaughter your dress for her blessing.

Old 01-14-2016, 11:38 AM

5,401 posts, read 6,467,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
My grandmother had a great line about being the Mother of the Groom; a role she played for four sons. "Your job is to wear beige, smile, and keep your mouth shut." In your case, as the Stepmother, I think you are in a very similar role. If you're worried, text your stepdaughter your dress for her blessing.
Sage advice.
Narrow it down to three & get your stepdaughter to help you pick.
Instead of the purples of bridal party, I would go with rich navy unless the bride wishes you to wear a certain color. If the mothers are wearing full length, you should as well.

Old 01-14-2016, 05:50 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,078,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by historyfan View Post
Sage advice.
Narrow it down to three & get your stepdaughter to help you pick.
Instead of the purples of bridal party, I would go with rich navy unless the bride wishes you to wear a certain color. If the mothers are wearing full length, you should as well.
If you're requested to do navy that is one thing, otherwise choose something complimentary to the bridal theme colors. Because navy will look quite dark against soft lavender shades...and stick out like a sore thumb in pics.

Old 01-14-2016, 07:28 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,401,063 times
Quote:
Right, I plan to do that. I know I shouldn't wear same color as mom of bride or groom.

Some moms of bride/groom go formal and wear a long gown. Even if they do, I don't plan to. Shouldn't I be a notch down from their level of "dressiness", whatever that is? That's what I was thinking.

This would be my recommendation. Dress like you would for a church holiday that you dress up for and don't match the mother of the bride. When my step son got married I wore my nicest business suit. I looked dressed up enough for pictures but I didn't upstage anyone. I would think a nice jacket dress would do the trick.

BTW it shows a lot of class that you realize you shouldn't be dressing up as much as mother of the bride would.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty