Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2016, 03:58 PM

1,088 posts, read 1,464,831 times

Advertisements

I just bought a new leather jacket from Kohl's and it arrived in the mail today. It is real leather (or some sort) but it the way it was folded and packaged wrinkled it. I have no clue how to get them out.

My first thought was possibly to hang it in the bathroom and run the shower on HOT to steam it. I'm not sure if that would do the trick or not.

Does anyone have any better ideas? I'm all ears and will be very appreciative!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2016, 04:08 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,977,655 times
This is a good question. How to get the wrinkles out of leather, and out of suede garments, as well. After moving, and the movers cramming too many clothes into a closet box, I found a new suede jacket got severely wrinkled over the duration of an inter-state move. No idea how to resolve that.

Old 02-11-2016, 04:25 PM

15,145 posts, read 27,800,655 times
Here are the Google results - shower is prob. a good idea.
remove wrinkles in leather jacket - Google Search

Old 02-11-2016, 04:34 PM

251 posts, read 175,511 times
I SURE DO!!

Use this stuff, I use it on my cowboy boots.

Amazon.com: Bickmore Bick 4 Leather Conditioner 8 Ounces: Sports & Outdoors

It will soften up and rehydrate the leather. It seldom if ever darkens after a few hours drying time.

I use this on my work boots. It softens and waterproofs them as well as rehydrates the leather. You have to sweat it in with a heat gun or a hair dryer though and it is not intended for purposes other than heavy duty work boots.

Mink Oil 97105 | Red Wing Heritage

This stuff also works good and is always readily available at Wal-Mart and Meijer's. It is safer on lighter colored leathers, however, still not as safe as the other stuff. I use it for monthly maintenance on my leather boots and shoes.

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&key...l_6xsuxycea2_b

That should take the wrinkles right out.

Old 02-11-2016, 05:06 PM

3,423 posts, read 4,370,668 times
I openly admit here, that I know absolutely zip about leather. But...

Steam takes wrinkles out of natural fibres like cotton. Why not give it a try with the leather jacket? Hang it in the bathroom and run the shower on hot for 15 minutes. Let the leather absorb the steam for a bit, then hang it somewhere else to dry. I don't see how that could harm the leather, and it might work.

Old 02-13-2016, 06:11 PM

1,088 posts, read 1,464,831 times
Thanks to everyone who responded.

I was pressed for time (wanted to wear it within 24 hours), so I tried the shower idea. My guest bath is about 8'x6' and I turned on the shower at the hottest water setting. I hung the jacket on the outside of the shower curtain/liner and left it for about 45 minutes. It helped a lot. I also found that wearing it (around the house) immediately after steaming it helped to stretch/pull out of the wrinkles even more.

I'm not sure if it would work for suede, as a previous poster was wondering, but I doubt it could hurt. Obviously avoid direct contact with water, but steam is a wonderful thing! That's the reason I spent almost $150 on a Rowenta Iron a few years ago- it is amazing for anything that can be ironed. My button-down shirts look better when I iron them than when I have the dry cleaner do it. =)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty