Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2016, 09:06 AM

41,937 posts, read 36,951,955 times

Advertisements

I have to admit, I when I see someone in heels, I usually think 'what the __ are you thinking?". Does nothing for me, but thankfully I generally have lived in places that are a bit more casual. Each to their own on that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2016, 09:11 AM

221 posts, read 318,136 times
Thanks all. I also have to keep in mind that it's January in Minnesota. So tank tops, sundresses, and sandals are all a no, haha. Heels are probably a no too, simply because of ice/snow. I'm also not much of a heel girl, though I wish I were. I save those for special events.

I don't think I'm overthinking this. I'm just curious how other girls approach first date clothing and what guys even notice.

Old 01-15-2016, 09:17 AM

4,613 posts, read 4,794,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildHeart22 View Post
Thanks all. I also have to keep in mind that it's January in Minnesota. So tank tops, sundresses, and sandals are all a no, haha. Heels are probably a no too, simply because of ice/snow. I'm also not much of a heel girl, though I wish I were. I save those for special events.

I don't think I'm overthinking this. I'm just curious how other girls approach first date clothing and what guys even notice.
It can be hard to tell the difference between overanalysis and fun theory when you're online. If you were sweating the situation super hard, it would be the former. If you're having a casual discussion about it, it's the latter

Pseudo-casual that would impress me in the winter is more outerwear than anything else:

Fitted peacoat, scarf, a hat that speaks to your personality (I had a recent date with a girl who wore a knit hat with kitten ears on it, and it was adorable). Jeans, some leather boots, a well-fitting sweater.

Old 01-15-2016, 09:30 AM

4,380 posts, read 4,449,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildHeart22 View Post

Geography will certainly make a difference. What's considered "dressy" in one area could be considered "casual" somewhere else. Hivemind's example of the slacks, shirt and tie is something you would see here on an interview; I have yet to have a date dress like that period - unless it's a formal event like a wedding.

Go with what you feel the most attractive in. My last first date I wore nice jeans, cute little boots and a sweater that showed off my curves. Second date was nice jeans, flattering sweater and flats. I declined a third date. He wore jeans and a long sleeved button up shirt to both - in fact, at first I thought he wore the same thing both times!

Old 01-15-2016, 09:31 AM

48,519 posts, read 34,833,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hivemind31 View Post

Pseudo-casual that would impress me in the winter is more outerwear than anything else:

Fitted peacoat, scarf, a hat that speaks to your personality (I had a recent date with a girl who wore a knit hat with kitten ears on it, and it was adorable). Jeans, some leather boots, a well-fitting sweater.
That would be my go-to with maybe switching out the jeans for leggings. Those hats were super popular in SF years ago, and I soooo wanted one. Hard to justify when you live in a tropical environment.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 01-15-2016, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
I have to admit, I when I see someone in heels, I usually think 'what the __ are you thinking?". Does nothing for me, but thankfully I generally have lived in places that are a bit more casual. Each to their own on that.

I'm kinda happy to hear that. While I wore some hot heels for most of my life, I am grounded do to arthritis. It hurts to walk normally without adding heels.

I had to revamp my whole wardrobe. I was absolutely perplexed how to look sexy in flats.

Old 01-15-2016, 09:36 AM

41,937 posts, read 36,951,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I had to revamp my whole wardrobe. I was absolutely perplexed how to look sexy in flats.

I doubt it even crosses the mind of many dudes, but that might just be in my social group. Women are more likely to be wearing hiking boots, or doc martens or something, than high heels.

Old 01-15-2016, 09:46 AM

1,592 posts, read 1,211,964 times
The mention of flats being non-sexy made me think of Teva sandals. Those are so unattractive. Just n-o.

Old 01-15-2016, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by svendrell View Post
The mention of flats being non-sexy made me think of Teva sandals. Those are so unattractive. Just n-o.
LOL. Had to look those up. No. I wear cute strappy sandals.

Old 01-15-2016, 10:03 AM

19,706 posts, read 20,236,139 times
I'm into dressing casual yet totally polished. If I go out all done up wearing heels and a dress it's Game Over. All that excess just draws too much attention.. I like to feel comfortable and want my date to be as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty