Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2016, 02:07 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
me too . I don't care if I go totally grey wth do I care ...I cant wear makeup ,never could, have a skin condition which any kind of makeup irritates it . the lady at the makeup counter got a surprise when she insisted on putting some kind of crap on my face with a cotton ball and the welts started almost immediately guess she will believe people from now on when they tell her that her makeup will do the same thing as the others . She was tripping over herself making sure I did not sue her or the store which I could have I suppose, but did not . I cut my own hair with my own old scissors , shampoo I buy at the dollar tree and no nail polish don't like my nails turning yellow after polish comes off . and as stated above don't wear makeup at all so no cost there either . My husband is greatful because I'm not one of those girly girls and neither is my daughter thank god .
Well, I spend money on my hair to the extent that I pay for a cut. I assumed the OP meant--beyond the bare bones basics of a cut, and buying shampoo. The environment I grew up in, no one wore makeup or did their hair. The most makeup I ever saw was when my mom and aunts would put on lipstick and maybe foundation--or not--for special occasions. That was it. No one my age even wore lipstick. It just wasn't a thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2016, 02:56 PM

37,592 posts, read 45,950,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabbythecat View Post
I have been telling my dh how much of a minimalist I am when it comes to hair (cutting/styling/coloring), makeup, and nails...about how much do the rest of you budget for those things?
I don't budget any of it. I have a drawer full of cosmetics, but I wear so little I don't even remember the last time I had to buy anything. I get a pedicure maybe every 6 months - those cost about $20. I color my own hair ever couple of months - about $7. I haven't had my hair cut since this past summer, so...clearly not a budget item.

Old 01-18-2016, 04:11 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,719,822 times
Oh Sephora... what a waste of money you truly are. I like to walk in to certain stores and look at certain make up counters just for inspiration, but know bottom line most make up is too simlar to pay those crazy mark ups. When I was a teen I landed a job working as a frangrance demo for a company that represented high end designer fragrances at a higher end department store in my city. When things were slow I would walk around from counter to counter getting to know each product line and got to know a lot of the other people that worked for the other companies. My fav counter was the Channel makeup/ frangrance counter. The lady that worked there use to do my make up when it was really slow just for fun. I was telling her how I wanted to price out how much it would cost to buy all the products needed that she used to create the look she did for me. She laughed and told me honey I work for this compnay full time and get 50% and use next to none of their products. Learn how to apply makeup, save your money and buy the cheaper stuff from the drug store. Since then I have learned to use my head when making these types of purchases. I could care less about the package ... it is the content that matters. I truly suck at living on a budget. I work hard for my money and I am not throwing it away on over priced nonsense. So if you are someone who is living on a budget and wants to get more bang for your buck ... forget buying things from Sephora and all the other high end make up lines. Check them out for their looks and learn how to recreate with a cheaper line. Chemically speaking there is not much difference. What you are usually paying more for is their commericals and pretty packaging.

Old 01-18-2016, 04:13 PM

777 posts, read 1,336,207 times
Well let's see, I get my hair "butchered" for a sweet $20 or less, twice a year. I spend exactly one minute a day throwing my hair in a bun. And about 20 minutes a week running the straightener through half of it. I spend $3 amazing bucks on hair dye, and 30 minutes of my time, dying my hair about every 6 weeks (stupid premature greys, I tell ya). That's all the work my hair gets.

I probably spend $100 or less on facial care products/cleansings/make up a year, which, on work days, is 10 minutes of my time.

Old 01-18-2016, 04:14 PM

5,331 posts, read 8,538,811 times
I once had a hairdresser who would cut my hair exactly how I like it. Then she moved. I could never find someone who would cut it like she did. I ended up watching tons of YouTube videos until I found a woman who is a hairdresser who cuts her hair the way I like mine, and now I use her technique and do my own.

Its a pretty easy cut since my hair is long with layers... but its fun knowing that I can do it myself and feel as happy as I would as if I had paid someone else to do it.

Old 01-18-2016, 04:19 PM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
$40 every eight weeks for a haircut
$6 every eight weeks for hair color

Dunno how much I spend on lotions and potions, but it's not much. My hair color comes with conditioner, so I don't need to buy that. A tube of BB cream lasts me an entire year, as will one $3 tube of lip gloss. Since I don't spend all that much, I don't budget for it specifically, just buy what I need.

Old 01-18-2016, 07:04 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,381,212 times
There is no way I could ever afford/justify spending $120 at the hair salon. I did the coloring myself and spent no more than $40 every 6-8 weeks for hair cuts and $8-$15 for color. I stopped coloring my hair when I decided there was nothing wrong with natural. I no longer wear the same amount of makeup as I did when I was 20 & 30 so I only get lower cost foundation, mascara, lipstick, and a palette of eye-shadow to brighten up my look in public.

Old 01-19-2016, 12:42 AM

645 posts, read 750,033 times
I spend mostly on makeup and skin care products...not really on a monthly basis but only if I see something new that I want to try..i usually buy the good makeup and skin care products so they last me awhile....I don't get my hair done because I don't dye it and I prefer to do my own nails....

Old 01-19-2016, 02:40 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,046,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pandaundercover View Post
Well let's see, I get my hair "butchered" for a sweet $20 or less, twice a year. I spend exactly one minute a day throwing my hair in a bun. And about 20 minutes a week running the straightener through half of it. I spend $3 amazing bucks on hair dye, and 30 minutes of my time, dying my hair about every 6 weeks (stupid premature greys, I tell ya). That's all the work my hair gets.

I probably spend $100 or less on facial care products/cleansings/make up a year, which, on work days, is 10 minutes of my time.
I had the same experience and now I too cut my own hair.

As far as makeup. . . no foundation, just a bit of blush, darken my eyebrows, and lipstick.

Old 01-19-2016, 06:59 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,951,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty61 View Post
There is no way I could ever afford/justify spending $120 at the hair salon. I did the coloring myself and spent no more than $40 every 6-8 weeks for hair cuts and $8-$15 for color. I stopped coloring my hair when I decided there was nothing wrong with natural. I no longer wear the same amount of makeup as I did when I was 20 & 30 so I only get lower cost foundation, mascara, lipstick, and a palette of eye-shadow to brighten up my look in public.
I have tried many years to color myself, but not only is my hair resistant to taking color, my natural color which I use (blue black) does a number on the bathroom porcelain and no matter how careful I am, it splotches somewhere every time. My wife also tried to do my hair color, and it still made a mess, even thought she is much more careful than I about cleaning messes up. It'a probably the length and the thickness that makes it impossible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty