Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2016, 12:28 AM

5,696 posts, read 19,144,742 times

Advertisements

My husband wears his everyday even though he probably shouldn't for his job. I used to wear mine everyday until about 6 yrs ago I think. It's been a while. I had my ring sized and the store did a terrible job. My fault for having it done at the mall. The ring was misshapen after that and still felt too snug. I got to the point where I couldn't stand the feeling of it being squeezed on my finger. For our 20th anniversary my husband suggested that we pick out a new ring, get mine fixed or something else. It bothers him that I don't wear it. Not that he thinks I am going to cheat or any of that nonsense. He is just a sentimental guy. He took a lot of pride in picking out my engagement ring and enjoyed seeing me enjoy wearing it. I just had a hard time making a decision and its been months of looking at rings online and figuring out what I would like to do. We were engaged for 5 yrs before we got married so this ring has been with me for a long time.

I have to say its been a hassle. I don't buy jewelry very often and was a bit annoyed that some of the jewelry stores basically told me that no one would want my ring. "It's outdated", "no one likes that shape diamond anymore" ..blah blah. Sheesh. I looked on line and found many wedding forums from young women gushing about their rings and weddings. Engagement ring threads of "eww Marquise diamonds are so ugly, my mom has one!" So yeah, I guess with anything stuff goes out of style. My husband suggested I just go with a whole new diamond but it ticked me off to hear that my diamond value was almost nothing due to the shape. So I would end up spending twice as much for a diamond of the same size but different shape. Seemed silly and waste to me. Plus I had that diamond for 25 yrs, through good times and bad times it had sentimental value to me.

Finally found a lovely jewelry store that treated me with respect. Yes, they did advise me they had a lot of Marquise diamonds on consignment and it wasn't a big seller but once I told them I was keeping the diamond they worked with me on designing a new setting. No problem. Maybe the jeweler was just giving me an ego boost but he was impressed with what I had come up with. He asked if I would mind if he made something similar for the case as he thinks it would be a good seller for those that wanted to keep their Marquise or help sell the ones he had on hand. So I am excited, I should see the final result in a week or so.

Funny thing is, I am now see Wedding sites with "Trends for 2016 Marquise diamonds are making a come back!" or "Be different and choose a Marquise." :roll eyes: I guess what goes out comes back in again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2016, 03:06 AM

18,527 posts, read 18,748,986 times
I wear my mothers wedding ring since she died 16 years ago.. Jewellery means nothing to me personally.. Expensive engagement rings too.. never understood them when a young couple are saving up for other things to buy a ring... I knew a girl who drooled in shop windows at rings, and was engaged three times before her nineteenth birthday, it was the rings she wanted not the relationship and always got over her broken heart easily..

Old 02-24-2016, 09:09 AM

7,448 posts, read 7,588,269 times
I've always hated wearing rings. I don't hide behind weak excuses like my job. I simply hate wearing rings and I don't. My wife accepts it and she knows I'm not out hustling. I'm not a bar fly, so it never comes up in conversation.

Old 02-24-2016, 11:18 AM

14,949 posts, read 12,143,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean-Francois View Post
Maybe you're right, but personally I doubt it, photobuff DID say that he didn't like jewellery, he probably wears his wedding ring when he's with his wife because he loves her, and is proud that he is her husband.
I wear mine permanently, it's a very narrow band, of the type that is more favoured by men in Continental Europe.
My wife and I have a very dear female friend who has never worn a ring on her wedding finger in the 30+ years that we've known her.
The story goes that when they hadn't been married long, they got into a spat in the street, and in exasperation she pulled off her ring and threw it at him.
He turned on his heel and stormed off, thinking that she'd search for it and pick it up, but she'd turned her back and walked off in the other direction.
Result? No ring, even though he offered to buy her a new one, price no object.
She demurred, citing their mutual volatility, saying that if they had another fight she'd never forgive herself if she threw a £1000 ring down a drain.
They'd met at university, and we're together for 40 odd years until the big C struck her husband and within 3 months she was widowed last year at age 60.
Kind of makes wearing or not wearing a wedding ring insignificant really.
LOL, reminds me of the time my sister told me she tossed her diamond engagement and wedding rings out the car window during a fight with her first husband. They never recovered those rings either. My sister said that besides the marriage going sour, she had lost any sentimental feeling she might have had for her engagement ring when she learned (after they had been married a while) that she was the second recipient of that ring, her husband had given it to another woman, and gotten the ring back when they broke off their engagement.

I told her I'd probably have pawned it instead of tossing it and gotten a few bucks for it.

Old 02-24-2016, 02:24 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,701,807 times
There's no law that says you have to wear it. This age of 50% divorce rate, wearing or not wearing one doesn't change anything.

Old 02-24-2016, 03:42 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,701,121 times
Mine was lost when we moved over a decade ago. We never replaced it. I don't like my hands so I don't often wear rings or bracelets that draw attention to them.

Old 02-24-2016, 07:58 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,003,025 times
I don't wear one because my husband doesn't wear one. It would annoy me to feel "owned"/marked that way while he wasn't doing the same. If that sounds petty, that's because it is. Sue me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty