Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2016, 05:39 AM

1,216 posts, read 1,464,039 times

Advertisements

Plastic Surgery is frowned upon because it is the ultimate in caving to peer pressure. It has nothing to do with jealousy between the classes. It is a sad state that someone feels so bad about themselves that they are willing to have someone carve into them with a knife.

That being said- research shows there's a value added to being pretty. It does get you farther in life. That doesn't mean we need to be prettier, it means we need a cultural change.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2016, 06:54 AM

24,120 posts, read 32,475,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
Quite frankly, if I had the money, I would have so much plastic surgery done and I wouldn't care what anyone said.

I'd have a nose and chin job done, laser surgery for my eyes, my teeth straightened, a boob job (REDUCTION!) and since I'm imagining all the money I don't have, maybe a little bit of liposuction, too.

If I had the money and I could do this, why does anyone else feel the need to moralize to me about it. It would be none of anyone's business. I'd be doing to me, for me, and with my own money. If anyone else doesn't like it, look the other way and if you have to have an opinion about it, I don't need to listen to it.

Well said! The price of plastic surgery has come down. Way down. A "boob reduction" in usually covered by insurance. It's a medical issue.

Many medical centers that teach residents in cosmetic surgery, perform it for free - or for a greatly reduced price. There are some cosmetic surgeons who offer Care Credit - financing for cosmetic surgery that is pretty easy to obtain and that has low monthly payments. There are options.

Laser surgery is very inexpensive now! I have seen it as low as $200 per eye.(there could be a catch) I did not look into that price, because it would not correct my vision, but even in high priced areas, it has gone down to well under $1000.

I agree. Shaming people who want to improve their appearance is really NO DIFFERENT from shaming people for being heavy or less than attractive.

People could all drive luxury cars or economy cars. I don't choose to do that. I chose to drive something in between. However, I don't question people who drive expensive cars. That's their money. Their choice. I care that I look good for me. And for myself, a luxury car does not do anything for me, or my happiness and self esteem. My appearance, being my personal best at all times and at all ages and stages in my life, is.

But, I don't judge anyone for driving a fancy car. Many plastic surgeries cost far, far less.

I will explore some cosmetic surgery as I have. For now, I do spend my money on Botox, fillers, facial rejuvenation etc. I don't over do it. No one ever notices.

It would be depressing to me to look one minute older than I have too.

For some, it would be depressing to drive a five year old Camry.

Do what makes you feel good. Let's stop judging each other, OK.

ETA - Great post! And do look into my suggestions!

Last edited by sheena12; 02-14-2016 at 07:22 AM..

Old 02-14-2016, 02:10 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,899,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
Glad you mentioned getting your teeth straightened.

Why is it that people who think having plastic surgery is being too vain or deceitful "hiding who you really are"....... don't feel the same way about having teeth straightened?

A question for the people who are against plastic surgery:

How is straightening crooked teeth any different then straightening a crooked nose?
Well, first, one involves actual surgery and going under general anesthesia. Orthodonture is not as invasive or dangerous. It's just a gradual "nudging," similar to how exercise would be a gradual nudging compared to liposuction with is a sudden, drastic, potentially dangerous change.

Second, cosmetic surgery is comparatively much more expensive than orthodonture.

Third, straightening one's teeth is not just about looks but about having healthy teeth and having a normal bite. My parents got me braces when I was a kid because my palate was very narrow, and my teeth did not have enough room. They knew that if nothing were done, by the time I got wisdom teeth, I'd have a very unhealthy bite and jaw. when teeth are more crooked, there are more spaces for bacteria to hide and develop into decay. They didn't make the decision based on trying to make me pretty or hot.

Lastly, and I know this sounds similar to being shallow about attractiveness, but it's different. Having very crooked teeth can make others perceive one as "low class" which dons not refer to income level but to social standards of propriety. Letting your kids grow up with very crooked teeth, to many people, is similar to letting your kids go around in dirty clothes and with poor hygiene. In the professional world, you can look at someone who is empirically attractive, average, or unattractive, but if they seem to have proper grooming, hygiene, and can present themselves professionally, you respect them all equally. But if they are all at the same level of attractiveness, but one has very crooked teeth, most people will look down on them like they would if their clothes were all wrinkled and their neck was dirty. Yes, it still falls under "superficial" but it's not the same as attractiveness/unattractiveness. Can a gifted scientist or attorney still be great if he or she is ungroomed, sloppy, and has messy teeth? Absolutely. But would you respect them as much? Probably not.

Old 02-14-2016, 04:19 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,046,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
Well, first, one involves actual surgery and going under general anesthesia. Orthodonture is not as invasive or dangerous. It's just a gradual "nudging," similar to how exercise would be a gradual nudging compared to liposuction with is a sudden, drastic, potentially dangerous change.

Second, cosmetic surgery is comparatively much more expensive than orthodonture.

Third, straightening one's teeth is not just about looks but about having healthy teeth and having a normal bite. My parents got me braces when I was a kid because my palate was very narrow, and my teeth did not have enough room. They knew that if nothing were done, by the time I got wisdom teeth, I'd have a very unhealthy bite and jaw. when teeth are more crooked, there are more spaces for bacteria to hide and develop into decay. They didn't make the decision based on trying to make me pretty or hot.

Lastly, and I know this sounds similar to being shallow about attractiveness, but it's different. Having very crooked teeth can make others perceive one as "low class" which dons not refer to income level but to social standards of propriety. Letting your kids grow up with very crooked teeth, to many people, is similar to letting your kids go around in dirty clothes and with poor hygiene. In the professional world, you can look at someone who is empirically attractive, average, or unattractive, but if they seem to have proper grooming, hygiene, and can present themselves professionally, you respect them all equally. But if they are all at the same level of attractiveness, but one has very crooked teeth, most people will look down on them like they would if their clothes were all wrinkled and their neck was dirty. Yes, it still falls under "superficial" but it's not the same as attractiveness/unattractiveness. Can a gifted scientist or attorney still be great if he or she is ungroomed, sloppy, and has messy teeth? Absolutely. But would you respect them as much? Probably not.

I agree with you about severely crooked teeth, but, nowadays, people get braces when their teeth are anything less than perfect......and that is pure vanity or peer pressure.

As to the work place and professional respect tied to attractiveness, we can't ignore the ageism that is very much a part of our culture today.

In fact, that is why more men than ever before are having plastic surgery. Looking too tired and worn can give the illusion that you are behind the times and out of step compared to more vital looking colleagues. You can be overlooked and shuffled aside or all of the way out, all because of your aged appearance.

Plastic surgery is not just about boob jobs, liposuction, or fish lips, it can be about having bags removed from under your eyes so you don't look like you are coming off of a weekend bender.....not a good look for a professional.

And, all other things being equal, who do you think an employer is going to choose to represent them in the business world......the average looking person or the one who has a large, bulbous nose or airplane ears that stick out at a 45 degree angle?

When it comes to appearance, people judge you on more than straight teeth.

Personally, I don't understand why fixing airplane ears, under eye bags, or a receding chin is looked down upon but spending thousands to straighten slightly misaligned teeth is OK.

Old 02-14-2016, 09:27 PM

5,847 posts, read 6,186,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobiashen View Post
Another 100% agree here.

I would never have plastic implanted in my body. It's PLASTIC.
The field is referred to as plastic surgery because it comes from the Greek word "Plastikos", which means to correct, define, form or mold something. Previously a component of General Surgery, Plastics has been its own medical specialty for many decades now, but Plastic surgeons still spend the first 1-2 years of their residency training in General Surgery.

The specialty is divided into the subcategories of Cosmetic surgery and "Plastics". Obviously, the procedures discussed in this thread are on the cosmetic side. Plastics focuses on deformity correction, reconstruction, burn care etc. Many surgeons focus their practices solely on the lucrative cosmetic procedures, but there are still a fair amount that are doing traditional plastics.

And, yes, they do some plastic components, but then again, so do many medical specialties.

Old 02-14-2016, 11:46 PM

2,728 posts, read 2,699,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
Having very crooked teeth can make others perceive one as "low class" which dons not refer to income level but to social standards of propriety. Letting your kids grow up with very crooked teeth, to many people, is similar to letting your kids go around in dirty clothes and with poor hygiene. In the professional world, you can look at someone who is empirically attractive, average, or unattractive, but if they seem to have proper grooming, hygiene, and can present themselves professionally, you respect them all equally. But if they are all at the same level of attractiveness, but one has very crooked teeth, most people will look down on them like they would if their clothes were all wrinkled and their neck was dirty. Yes, it still falls under "superficial" but it's not the same as attractiveness/unattractiveness. Can a gifted scientist or attorney still be great if he or she is ungroomed, sloppy, and has messy teeth? Absolutely. But would you respect them as much? Probably not.
Wow, respection level for what brain produces is discriminated just because of messy teeth, huh? People don't use their teeth for thinking

You would not? That is just horribly failure of raising kids and this is why I am mostly blaming society. Because only thing is indeed to stop judging by their looks and instead appreciate them by their skills and characters.

It is actually quite good measuring tool to label these failed raised people if is having something not so trendy in own looks. No need to waste time with those people who would let such things than crooked or messy teeth to define who someone is. Better quality company is available always - those who focus on what people are inside.

It gives deeper, stronger and more spiritual friendships when one knows that a friend would never change "respection"-level by weekdays looks. Bad hair day? I so not respect you, we are not friends before you are getting a better hair dresses, huh! That kind of person has no idea what -respect- is at first place.

Have you peeked into other countries attorneys and scientists, when (if) you are reading articles of new studies, are you first seeking what they looks like and then think if that study is valuable or not? Or are you seeking the factories how they made that study?

It must be true because he is handsome, it must be failure because of his crooked teeth..

Old 02-15-2016, 02:48 AM

10,229 posts, read 16,301,087 times
I've nothing against plastic surgery. I do have a problem when someone can't afford it and is willing to go into debt, and some of those surgeries are damn expensive. To me it ain't worth it if you're going to spend decades paying it off.

But I also can't believe what a lot of women spend wads of money on at the hair-dresser a few times a year. I don't see where this is any better, and in the long run they spend even more than someone understandably wanting a liposuction.

Old 02-15-2016, 03:12 AM

7,991 posts, read 5,387,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinero View Post
Yeah, it is totally fair and ok when a good looking person who won the genetic lottery, gets praised, attention from the opposite sex, preferential treatment in society, more opportunities, admired by thousands, when they did nothing to receive this, except just being freaking lucky. Most people have no clue what the life of a truly good looking woman really is about. It is another reality that you cannot understand and will never experience.
You know what always amazes me? A person that did not win that lottery you are speaking of and has such an amazing charismatic and confident personality that people are drawn to them.

There are some gorgeous people out there that seem to have won that lottery and behind those looks their life is a mess.

So...I don't think it is about looks.

Old 02-15-2016, 03:36 AM

2,538 posts, read 3,876,874 times
I've had PS and have absolutely no regrets. Would do it again in a heartbeat, and no plans to do any more. I've never been unhappy with myself physically, I'm in shape and petite. But after 3 kiddos and turning 40, a couple of things could be improved upon, so I improved them. If you don't want PS, don't get it, but don't put people down that choose to.

Old 02-15-2016, 11:04 AM

2,744 posts, read 4,234,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesmama View Post
I've nothing against plastic surgery. I do have a problem when someone can't afford it and is willing to go into debt, and some of those surgeries are damn expensive. To me it ain't worth it if you're going to spend decades paying it off.

But I also can't believe what a lot of women spend wads of money on at the hair-dresser a few times a year. I don't see where this is any better, and in the long run they spend even more than someone understandably wanting a liposuction.

There are people with two children who live in 4 bedroom houses. Mostly everyone "goes into debt" to pay for a home. Many people "go into debt" to buy a Mercedes. Or to travel a lot.

I am sick and tired about of hearing the mantra "DON"T GO INTO DEBT FOR IT" - Jeez, some of the best things I have ever done in my life have involved "going into debt".

My home, for one. And a luxury car that is now paid for that gives me great enjoyment.

Then there's my education. Brought me more joy, success, and a career than I ever would have had.

For some people their appearance is very, very important. So as they age they do what they can to maintain their looks.

And "plastic" does not mean "fake" or "imitation", it means malleable, able to change shape.

How much do you think plastic surgery costs? No one takes decades to "pay it off". Try two or three years and a life time of looking better, and perhaps increased earning power, in certain fields.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology