Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2016, 04:01 PM

3,423 posts, read 4,366,498 times

Advertisements

When I think of the handful of women I've known in my life who were really, truly stunning, it strikes me that it's really more than looks that's at work. There's a certain "presence" that they have. It's something besides charisma... personality isn't quite it either. In French they just say that someone has a certain "je ne sais quoi" quality. "I don't know what it is" -- but it's there.

I knew someone a long time ago who had a teenage sister with that quality. The whole family was mixed race and sort of exotic looking. But she stood out as "beautiful" and had that presence. She was just young and innocent, but when she was in the room, people would walk in and literally be struck speechless looking at her.

Another young woman I knew of once would get attention (unwanted by her) just about everywhere she went. She was almost flawlessly pretty, graceful, dressed in a pretty yet somehow understated way. Again, she had a "quality" that drew stares all the time.

Maybe it's a graceful manner, combined with a lack of wanting to draw attention. It's like they draw tons of attention, despite not wanting the attention. A strange sort of magnetism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2016, 04:08 PM

3,423 posts, read 4,366,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by photobuff42 View Post
Something similar happened to me once. I was walking down the street on a fine Spring day. Two young men on a motorcycle rear-ended a car because they were checking me out. Glad they weren't hurt....
This reminds me of a story I heard a long time ago about Hank Williams' second wife (Billie Jean). She was well-known as a local beauty when she was young. The story I read was that she once caused a car accident while crossing a street in Nashville... two distracted drivers were gawking at her and smashed into each other. She was well-known in town for that story. Heh. Maybe it was just the way she walked?

Old 02-21-2016, 02:29 AM

130 posts, read 130,532 times
The poster below has got it down cold! WOW! What insight of the beautiful people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa2011 View Post
When I think of the handful of women I've known in my life who were really, truly stunning, it strikes me that it's really more than looks that's at work. There's a certain "presence" that they have. It's something besides charisma... personality isn't quite it either. In French they just say that someone has a certain "je ne sais quoi" quality. "I don't know what it is" -- but it's there.

I knew someone a long time ago who had a teenage sister with that quality. The whole family was mixed race and sort of exotic looking. But she stood out as "beautiful" and had that presence. She was just young and innocent, but when she was in the room, people would walk in and literally be struck speechless looking at her.

Another young woman I knew of once would get attention (unwanted by her) just about everywhere she went. She was almost flawlessly pretty, graceful, dressed in a pretty yet somehow understated way. Again, she had a "quality" that drew stares all the time.

Maybe it's a graceful manner, combined with a lack of wanting to draw attention. It's like they draw tons of attention, despite not wanting the attention. A strange sort of magnetism.

Old 02-21-2016, 09:20 AM

4,053 posts, read 8,254,094 times
Quote:
This reminds me of a story I heard a long time ago about Hank Williams' second wife (Billie Jean). She was well-known as a local beauty when she was young. The story I read was that she once caused a car accident while crossing a street in Nashville... two distracted drivers were gawking at her and smashed into each other. She was well-known in town for that story. Heh. Maybe it was just the way she walked?
Could be.

Old 02-21-2016, 09:30 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,957,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
She probably doesn't notice. Who has time for that when they're working?
The office slacker has all the time in the world

Old 02-22-2016, 04:12 PM

130 posts, read 130,532 times
I have been watching her with even more interest since I posted this thread. I just can't get over how self confident she is. She walks around with so much poise and acts like the queen of England. Likely from years of everyone worshiping her.

Old 02-22-2016, 04:25 PM

16 posts, read 12,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Conversation View Post
I have been watching her with even more interest since I posted this thread. I just can't get over how self confident she is. She walks around with so much poise and acts like the queen of England. Likely from years of everyone worshiping her.
Good parenting, dear. Raise children in a healthy environment, give them lots of quality time and guidance, and they'll have an inner strength.

Old 02-23-2016, 07:41 AM

951 posts, read 1,140,306 times
Quote:

I know what you're talking about. That's why beauty is so much more than just genetic looks alone. Their style, fashion, the way they walk and carry themselves, mannerism, hygiene, etc. makes a big difference.

Old 02-25-2016, 08:03 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,697,355 times
As I guy seeing good looking women getting all the attention makes me feel bad that some guys just won't leave them alone. I know that's usually what it takes to make your acquaintance but it's just way too obvious.

If I was a woman, I would ignore all guys that approach me and only pursue ones that I want. Which is not the case in most women. They take a passive approach which is why they always end up with jerks. A quality guy would never tries to win attention, they respect you and you have to make some attempts to get acquainted.

Old 02-29-2016, 12:13 PM

1,769 posts, read 2,104,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainHi View Post
There was a woman who could come close to fitting that bill working as a temporary in an office I was in. While very attractive, she was an airhead, and not someone you could have an interesting conversation with. She was also self-centered. After her husband divorced her, she floated from one man to another, as she didn't have any marketable job skills, and had always gotten by on her looks, as I came to learn from a co-worker/friend, who became her friend. Her small son committed suicide some years later, because of her neglect of him.
Did anyone catch this? Why would a man commit suicide due to his mom?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty