Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2016, 03:25 PM

7,796 posts, read 16,400,337 times

Advertisements

I look my age...I think. Well, at least I hope I look my age and not much older. I wouldn't know be because I've never had people try and guess my age. I'm always with people who are my age (late 30s/early 40s) so it's not as if we guessing each others' ages.

I just want to look good for my age, so I do Botox & fillers (I'm on the thin side and I've lost volume in my face, so I've added volume to my cheeks, lips and smile lines.) I'm into skincare, hair care and makeup and I'm known for getting dressed up...I work with I've still got.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2016, 05:47 PM

7,097 posts, read 4,820,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
You keep starting bizarre threads - are you doing some kind of research?
I think he/she might be retired now, so sometimes maybe the mind wanders.

To the OP, if age ever comes up in conversation, usually I am told I look a quite bit younger than my 60 years. But who knows if that is just people being nice or if it's actually truth.

To myself, in the mirror I look younger than I am, but in photos I look haggard and old to me. So who knows.

Old 02-13-2016, 06:36 PM

563 posts, read 524,202 times
Default The Old Man and the Sea

Yep, Hemingway said it best, whatever that was. I look older when I do not shave. Grey beard. Worked for Hemingway, but not so much for me. I used to be the digity! I like that.

Old 02-13-2016, 08:58 PM

4,062 posts, read 5,645,484 times
My face hasn't aged well at all. I see other people my age and their faces usually look younger than mine!

Old 02-13-2016, 09:37 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,022,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
I don't think so, BUT I can say that I distrust when people say that everyone tells them, "I can't BELIEVE you're such-and-such an age..." For one thing, why did the person mention her age in the first place? I think generally, the person s/he is mentioning his/her age to picks up on the vibe of, "Oh, s/he must want me to be surprised at his/her age so I will act that." That may sound convoluted but it's what comes to mind for me, because honestly, why the hell else would people's ages just happen to come up in casual conversation at the library, on line at the store, etc.? Only little children generally call out their ages to one another constantly (and that's to prove how "old" and mature they are)...with adults...there must be a reason...and with age being such a dirty word in western society, well, any dolt can pick up on that reason.
I get told that I look much younger, but its mostly from people who are seeing my ID (buying alcohol) or birth date (official documents). When I went back to school last Spring, the women in the admissions office asked me to verify my birth date because she thought I wrote it wrong (as if I didn't know it).

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGi603 View Post
I will say that my Generation (born in 1957) most of us look "younger" because we are not like our Mothers at the same age.
We seem to stay more current in fashion and make-up. Most of us don't do "old lady dresses".
My mom was born in 1956, and we wear similar clothes. We even own some of the same items of clothing. And no, I don't wear "old people" clothes, and she doesn't wear anything that is inappropriate for her age.

I always think people say I look younger because Hollywood likes to have 30 year olds playing high schoolers. Unless you are around high schoolers a lot, you have a distorted view on what they look like. I feel I look my age, I look like other 30 year olds I am around all the time, but I often get told by others that I look like I'm only 19-20 years old.

Old 02-13-2016, 11:34 PM

47 posts, read 113,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by puginabug View Post
To myself, in the mirror I look younger than I am, but in photos I look haggard and old to me. So who knows.
Same here. Whazzup with that?? Must be the "Dorian Gray" phenom.

Old 02-14-2016, 01:00 AM

14,775 posts, read 8,109,336 times
No....all people my age look rather old because...they are!!!
I don't look a day over a hundred.

Old 02-14-2016, 05:09 AM

3,423 posts, read 4,368,091 times
I was carded at a liquor store when I was 40... but it was in the middle of summer, and I was wearing sunglasses. When I removed the sunglasses so the guy could compare my face to my driver's licence, Im sure that removed all doubt about my real age. Maybe it's the expression in my aged eyes... decrepit, haunted, and jaded?

I guess I must've hit the wall pretty hard in the few years since then. I haven't been carded since. But that did make my year, probably, when I was 40.

Old 02-14-2016, 10:46 AM

1,042 posts, read 874,047 times
For years I looked way younger than my age, for reals. Now, since treatment for cancer, people think I look way older [and I do] They do not actually say that I look old. What they do is see a picture of me taken 4 years ago and say "Oh my, your daughter [ once your grand daughter] looks so much like you. I don't even bother correcting them now because they get so embarrassed.

Old 02-14-2016, 12:29 PM

2,289 posts, read 1,433,079 times
I'm 83 and my mailman told be I don't look a day over 26. The troof.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty