Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2016, 04:56 PM

2,587 posts, read 1,595,227 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
Seriously? That sounds, well, god-awful to me. Even my very thin, very pretty, fashion-conscious nieces would never consider wearing a thong as everyday underwear. Ewwwwwwwwwwww.

Sometimes I wonder if the thong was invented as a torture device.

Imagine if it were considered sexy for men to wear those awful things. NO WAY would men put up with that crap.

Well, as a guy, I don't have a dog in this hunt, but for what it's worth, my wife, who wears predominantly a U.K. size 12 in dresses and skirts, occasionally a 14 if she's O.D.'d on candy, (I'm pretty sure that a U.K. 12 =a U.S. 8, and a U.K. 14= a U.S. 10, well I hope it does), has worn thongs for 10 or 12 years now, maybe longer.
She started to wear them, like a lot of women I'd guess, to shake off the VPL, but gradually her lingerie drawer came to contain nothing else, aside from other bits and pieces of feminine apparel.
Makes life easy for me at birthdays/Christmas/anniversaries, I just breeze into Agent Provocateur, Coco de Mer, Myla, or Tallulah, try to look unselfconscious, and Bingo! Brownie points for Jean-François.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2016, 05:09 PM

10,048 posts, read 18,069,717 times
I wrote ...

Quote:
Sometimes I am astonished at what the fashion industry "sells" to women in the name of "being sexy" (and how so many women completely buy into it). There are SO many ways to be sexy that don't involve a string up your butt crack.
and another poster wrote ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
p.s. Why choose thongs to feel sexy when there are other ways to feel sexy...well, because it's all about choice and individual preference and what makes a specific person feel sexy and that's okay...? Or is that just toooo crazy?

People are certainly (wait for it) getting their knickers in a twist over this! It shouldn't bother you that someone you don't even know wears a specific type of underwear, I mean you don't even have to see it, so... ???
Don't know if you were responding to me, JerZ. I must say I find so many of your posts honest, down to earth, and interesting -- but I really don't think things like thongs are "about choice and individual preference." We don't make the "choice" to wear such things in a vacuum -- we are all products of what our society tells us is "sexy" or "attractive" or whatever. Most of the time it's not a big deal to me (and of course women can wear and do whatever they want -- I would never take away their "right" to do so), BUT with certain things -- like thongs as underwear -- I just shake my head and wonder, "WHO came up with this? And WHY do women put up with it?" I'm just flabbergasted by the fact that women put up with so much in the name of "fashion" that men would NEVER in a million years put up with -- and no one would even try to tell them to! THAT was my point, and I apologize if it wasn't clear.

Our "choices" are almost never really "freely made," even though we'd like to believe they are. For example, the fashion industry could convince women that wearing 5" spike heels even if you live in New England and do a lot of walking in your job is "good" because "IT'S SEXY!!" And millions of women would do so, all believing that it is their "preference" or "choice." Um, no, you have been sold a bill of goods by an industry that is trying to get you to BUY things -- your "preference" or "choice" was created by someone else.

But I am sounding like an academic so I will stop now.

Old 03-04-2016, 06:17 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,320,358 times
Not for me. Never really wanted to tolerate that. No man is worth that!

Old 03-04-2016, 06:49 PM

17,156 posts, read 12,960,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Not for me. I've got a big butt in relation to my waist size, so everything protrudes and it always feels like it's about to fall out. Not a good look.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Mathlete View Post
I have a small butt, so cheeksters are quite flattering because they let just the right amount of butt cheek protrude.
Interesting. I love this thread! CD is so educational. If only I had known about it before I started college, I would have not gone at all, saved myself many thousands of $$$ in student loan debt and years of time and energy, and learned much more fun and useful information to get me through life

Old 03-05-2016, 05:35 AM

12,386 posts, read 8,149,420 times
Quote:
I wrote ...

and another poster wrote ...

Don't know if you were responding to me, JerZ. I must say I find so many of your posts honest, down to earth, and interesting -- but I really don't think things like thongs are "about choice and individual preference." We don't make the "choice" to wear such things in a vacuum -- we are all products of what our society tells us is "sexy" or "attractive" or whatever. Most of the time it's not a big deal to me (and of course women can wear and do whatever they want -- I would never take away their "right" to do so), BUT with certain things -- like thongs as underwear -- I just shake my head and wonder, "WHO came up with this? And WHY do women put up with it?" I'm just flabbergasted by the fact that women put up with so much in the name of "fashion" that men would NEVER in a million years put up with -- and no one would even try to tell them to! THAT was my point, and I apologize if it wasn't clear.

Our "choices" are almost never really "freely made," even though we'd like to believe they are. For example, the fashion industry could convince women that wearing 5" spike heels even if you live in New England and do a lot of walking in your job is "good" because "IT'S SEXY!!" And millions of women would do so, all believing that it is their "preference" or "choice." Um, no, you have been sold a bill of goods by an industry that is trying to get you to BUY things -- your "preference" or "choice" was created by someone else.

But I am sounding like an academic so I will stop now.
Men won't put up with it because not enough women react to the sexual tease positively when men do wear them. If women responded we would wear it 24/7

Old 03-05-2016, 05:36 AM

6,192 posts, read 7,356,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parentologist View Post
Butt floss causes urinary tract infections. The thong acts as a wick, bringing stool bacteria forward between the labia, allowing the stool bacteria to enter the urethra. Disgusting, but true.
I've never had a UTI. My grandma used to get them non-stop. Guess who was wearing the thong.

Quote:
Yes, panty lines are my #1 worry in life.

Sometimes I am astonished at what the fashion industry "sells" to women in the name of "being sexy" (and how so many women completely buy into it). There are SO many ways to be sexy that don't involve a string up your butt crack.
Honestly, I don't understand this line of thought because you could say that about ANYTHING. I absolutely do not wear thongs because I think they are sexy. The only person who sees me in my thong is my husband, who couldn't care less what I wear. I wear thongs because I find them more comfortable than any other type of underwear. Maybe you do not understand how that is possible, but as you can see by the handful of people responding on this thread who have stated this, some people physically feel more comfortable in thongs. I could not be more clear in this explanation. When I wear other types of underwear, it bothers me to feel it around or under the butt cheek. It doesn't bother you. You wear what you like and I wear what I like without making faces like this:

And if you think I am doing this to look sexy, . You will find me in jeans and sneakers almost every single day. I do not follow fashion. I wear what I like and what I find comfortable. I find them comfortable, you do not. That is OKAY. A friend of mine wears flats everyday and I find them uncomfortable and she doesn't. My dad used to wear boots everyday because he found them comfortable and I could not stand wearing them because they hurt my feet and gave me blisters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
Ok women, I've read through this thread and haven't seen anything that has addressed the (let's not talk about it) issue of discharge.
We ALL have it. How can a little teeny, tiny strip of cloth wick that problem up the whole day and evening?

Another thing... what happens when you suddenly get a gush from an unexpected period at a weird time of month (yes it happens) when you have NOTHING there but a tiny strip of cloth to stop it from soaking into everything?
To answer your questions---I think some women will experience more discharge than others. I do not have a problem with this. And for those that do, they make pantyliners for thongs, BTW. It's not like you have "string" thin underwear right under the opening.

And, I do not get unexpected periods. I know when my periods are coming, like clockwork, because I am on BC. And even when I have my period, I am wearing thongs because I use tampons. I also do not have very heavy flows like some women so I don't have to worry about leaks TBH.

Old 03-05-2016, 05:49 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,543,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
I've never had a UTI. My grandma used to get them non-stop. Guess who was wearing the thong.

Honestly, I don't understand this line of thought because you could say that about ANYTHING. I absolutely do not wear thongs because I think they are sexy. The only person who sees me in my thong is my husband, who couldn't care less what I wear. I wear thongs because I find them more comfortable than any other type of underwear. Maybe you do not understand how that is possible, but as you can see by the handful of people responding on this thread who have stated this, some people physically feel more comfortable in thongs. I could not be more clear in this explanation. When I wear other types of underwear, it bothers me to feel it around or under the butt cheek. It doesn't bother you. You wear what you like and I wear what I like without making faces like this:

And if you think I am doing this to look sexy, . You will find me in jeans and sneakers almost every single day. I do not follow fashion. I wear what I like and what I find comfortable. I find them comfortable, you do not. That is OKAY. A friend of mine wears flats everyday and I find them uncomfortable and she doesn't. My dad used to wear boots everyday because he found them comfortable and I could not stand wearing them because they hurt my feet and gave me blisters.

To answer your questions---I think some women will experience more discharge than others. I do not have a problem with this. And for those that do, they make pantyliners for thongs, BTW. It's not like you have "string" thin underwear right under the opening.

And, I do not get unexpected periods. I know when my periods are coming, like clockwork, because I am on BC. And even when I have my period, I am wearing thongs because I use tampons. I also do not have very heavy flows like some women so I don't have to worry about leaks TBH.
Makes sense. Good answer. Rep given.

Old 03-05-2016, 07:20 AM

1,838 posts, read 2,021,497 times
Ugh, they seem like fake underwear. They aren't really doing the job of underwear, and they look painful, to boot. There is no way I would ever considering wearing them.

Old 03-05-2016, 11:26 AM

30,902 posts, read 32,998,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
Men won't put up with it because not enough women react to the sexual tease positively when men do wear them. If women responded we would wear it 24/7
Heh heh.

Old 03-05-2016, 11:27 AM

30,902 posts, read 32,998,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
Grandma?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty