Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2016, 07:00 AM

607 posts, read 2,362,459 times

Advertisements

So I have taken my navy blazer to a tailor and am having them "slim" it up a bit. I believe it was a more "classic" design. It has the gold buttons, and I guess I will keep that look as people seem to suggest that it is a timeless look. It is two button. I also took in an "olive colored" sport coat for tailoring as well. It is a 3 button. I noticed that in the stores I went to, I didn't see hardly any 3 button coats? I don't know if that means trendy or if the style is just cycling? Oh well, I should be getting them back shortly and look forward to wearing again. I am looking to buy some sweater vests to go under the coat. What materials will be more "wrinkle" free than others? Seems like cotton always has a wrinkle look?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2016, 12:44 PM

1,325 posts, read 2,360,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by family first View Post
So I have taken my navy blazer to a tailor and am having them "slim" it up a bit. I believe it was a more "classic" design. It has the gold buttons, and I guess I will keep that look as people seem to suggest that it is a timeless look. It is two button. I also took in an "olive colored" sport coat for tailoring as well. It is a 3 button. I noticed that in the stores I went to, I didn't see hardly any 3 button coats? I don't know if that means trendy or if the style is just cycling? Oh well, I should be getting them back shortly and look forward to wearing again. I am looking to buy some sweater vests to go under the coat. What materials will be more "wrinkle" free than others? Seems like cotton always has a wrinkle look?
While 2 are more common these days, its not that 3 buttons are out of favor. A well fitting 3 button jacket will always look good, just fasten the middle button only to open up the top a little more. I can't vouch for cotton or sweater-vests, but i exclusively use merino wool sweaters under my sportcoat/blazer/suits, and don't run into wrinkling problems.

Old 03-26-2016, 08:21 AM

14,224 posts, read 14,642,943 times
My favorites sport coat was always navy blue, brass buttons, side vents, double breasted. It could be dressy (nice slacks, shirt, tie) or casual (jeans and polo shirt). For suits, I always preferred ventless jackets.

Old 04-02-2016, 07:08 AM

607 posts, read 2,362,459 times
Found some nice sales on coats from Macys this week. Went with a grey/black Calvin Klein coat made of wool. Found a Ralph Lauren Brown coat and also a Kenneth Cole navy herringbone pattern. Two of the three were side vents and one was single vent. They will give me three different colors two cover a wide look for a lot of scenarios. Noticed a lot of coats were not wool, but blends of materials. Does that effect the price or is it more of a design or reputation?

Old 04-02-2016, 09:01 AM

5,128 posts, read 4,465,675 times
Quote:
Noticed a lot of coats were not wool, but blends of materials. Does that effect the price or is it more of a design or reputation?
Yes, the blends would be less expensive since artificial fibers are less expensive than natural fibers.

Natural fibers are always better than blends, as such clothing holds up better and looks better. It is best to buy 100% wool, for men's garments because it is strong and resilient. Synthetic fibers tend to pill, wear out faster, and look cheap. In the long term, they are a waste of money because they need to be replaced sooner.

In addition, synthetic fibers may contain petrochemicals, formaldehyde, and other volatile organic compounds that are toxic to the human body and may cause allergies in some. So, to prevent chemical sensitivities from flaring up, natural fibers are the better way to go.

Old 04-02-2016, 08:48 PM

2,365 posts, read 2,140,615 times
Quote:
So if I go with the classic Navy blazer, I see brass buttons vs. nickle and black colored buttons. Is one favorable over the other one? Also, the single vents in the coat back vs. the duel vents?
I agree with others that say avoid the plastic hardware for the obvious reason that with few exceptions it looks cheap.

As for gold or silver, what color is the bulk of the hardware on your other items - belts, shoes, jewelry. If you usually wear white gold or sterling chains and rings, then go with the nickel. Like wise, if most of your jewelry is yellow gold, and the buckles on your belts, shoes etc are brass then go with the brass.

If you could care less about consistency, mix it up.

Silver goes best with gray hair, and some skin tones wear silver or white gold better. Gray and light hair with yellow gold or brass can make your skin appear yellowish too.

Yep, some of us think too much, lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty