Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2016, 12:47 PM

551 posts, read 582,802 times

Advertisements

Please advise: interviewing for a government position. As a 30-something female, I usually wear a black blazer with a black knee length a line skirt and colored top and pearls. However, I have a pair of lovely CK light gray (not charcoal) dress pants that look very nice. Can I wear them with a black blazer and colored top? I was thinking with a coral red top (my favorite color) and black conservative heels. I'm not sure if this is too casual though..Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2016, 12:55 PM

1,242 posts, read 1,689,789 times
Photos would be helpful.

Old 03-10-2016, 01:00 PM

11,050 posts, read 24,028,301 times
Wear whatever everyone else is wearing who is doing a similar job to what you're applying for. A very slightly nicer version would be okay, but nothing too much different.

Old 03-10-2016, 01:45 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,994,442 times
I think what you plan to wear sounds fine to me...very Office-y.

Old 03-10-2016, 02:14 PM

16,421 posts, read 12,507,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nostoneunturned View Post
Please advise: interviewing for a government position. As a 30-something female, I usually wear a black blazer with a black knee length a line skirt and colored top and pearls. However, I have a pair of lovely CK light gray (not charcoal) dress pants that look very nice. Can I wear them with a black blazer and colored top? I was thinking with a coral red top (my favorite color) and black conservative heels. I'm not sure if this is too casual though..Thanks for your help!
Sounds perfectly fine to me!

Old 03-10-2016, 03:08 PM

5,133 posts, read 4,484,784 times
When meeting someone professionally for the first time, it's best to look conservative, especially in a government setting. Therefore, a coral top is too vivid for such a job interview.

Neutral colors give a more professional appearance. Go with a neutral-colored top like white, cream, pale gray, blue. Even pale pink is okay. But not coral. It's too much. For your outfit, I'd choose white, pale gray, or pale pink.

Old 03-10-2016, 03:18 PM

16,421 posts, read 12,507,028 times
I disagree that all the colors in your outfit should be neutral. I think a small pop of color helps you stand out in their minds, after having interviewed a bajilion people. They might have a chance at remembering the young woman with the solid coral blouse in a sea of people wearing nothing but navy, black, grey, and white. Now, that doesn't mean a coral suit a giant coral flower on your lapel, or a loud colorful pattern, but a solid colored blouse under a neutral jacket is fine.

Yes, I know that goes against all the "rules", but speaking as an interviewer, I can say that some degree of color never turned me off. In fact, it was a little refreshing.

Old 03-10-2016, 03:32 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,156,596 times
I think the pants would be fine, but I admit I'm out of the loop in the business world at present. However, on the color/neutral thing: I can't imagine that a coral shirt, especially if it was identifiably a women's office shirt, would leave a bad impression. (I might leave off the pearls, but wear a conservative pair of gold earrings.) What I think is that what the OP wears should make her feel comfortable and polished. I'd wear something that you feel has brought you luck before, or wear the appropriate thing that makes you feel attractive. You'll project confidence if what you wear reflects how you feel about yourself.

Old 03-10-2016, 03:56 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nostoneunturned View Post
I would not choose red, even coral. Some shade of blue would be good. Well, ok, maroon looks good with grey, that's a shade of red. But not a bright red. Subdued colors for the interview. It's an interview for a gov't job, not a fashion show, even a conservative fashion show, if you know what I mean. AFTER you get your foot in the door and have the job, you can wear the coral. IMHO. Play it safe.

Old 03-10-2016, 04:26 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,454,906 times
I once worked for the state government. For my interview (professional position, IT department, years ago), I dressed up for the interview, got the job, but unfortunately then proceeded to buy a professional wardrobe for work. What a mistake! The people I had seen in the interview were only the top section manager and two secretaries, all nicely dressed.

All the programmers (which is what I was at first, before promotion) and most of the supervisors dressed very casually.

So dress nicely for the interview, but wait until you have been on the job a week before you buy your work outfits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty