Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2016, 06:08 PM

4,992 posts, read 5,290,988 times

Advertisements

I've bought used purses from the thrift store. I'm not into name brands particularly expensive ones. I feel like they would make me a target to get mugged or have my wallet stolen. I like practicality instead. I buy a black one with a zipper top and use that all of the time unless I need to dress up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2016, 07:10 PM

2,936 posts, read 2,334,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reen79 View Post
I never have....I would worry buying online because I cant actually see it in person....you take a chance when you do that..they could send you a fake purse or damaged....
There are some reputable resale sites geared towards high end designer bags that are real. The downside is the prices aren't as good as eBay.

Old 03-11-2016, 07:40 PM

4,231 posts, read 15,424,202 times
I would and I have - unplanned - at a garage sales etc - that said I don't buy high-end brands but am partial to Vera Bradley bags and Baggallini (which I did see once in a thrift store but for almost the exact same price as I've seen locally in stores, it was almost new but very similar to what I had so I passed on that one). I read reviews and try to be careful so hesitate to buy over eBay but I know others who have done it fine, with no problem.

OT - Have also seen cooler chests in a variety of sizes at thrift stores and some are priced reasonably, others are priced more than when you'd spend new which i ridiculous (same w/ dishes and other items, it's really crazy - have also seen very worn-out crocs selling for $5-6 which is absolutely ridiculous and I just shake my head and wonder what the heck they're thinking)

Old 03-11-2016, 09:09 PM

7,796 posts, read 16,400,337 times
Heck yeah! Sometimes the only way for me to purchase the bag I want is second hand. I've used a buy/sell market on a purse forum, online dealers (Yoogi's Closet, Ann's Fabulous Finds) and EBay (back in the day...I wouldn't now when there are other more reliable resources.)

Old 03-11-2016, 09:25 PM

422 posts, read 336,289 times
I bruight a great purse at a thrift store, still had store tags on it. Cost me three whole dollars and I used it when I went to work at nordstrom.

Old 03-11-2016, 10:17 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post

My favorite handbag designer is Goldenbleu out of San Francisco went out of business during the recession so I can only find their bags on ebay.
They had a store for 5 minutes and I decided that would be my next bag. Then it closes and I was SOL.

Didn't examine enough to pick a fave.

Quote:
I have one of my grandmother's Hermes Kelly bags that is 60 years old.
If I was Oprah rich, this is my dream bag.

I haven't purchased a used bag, but I might if the right one came around.

Old 03-11-2016, 10:56 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,003,025 times
I can't see why not.

Old 03-11-2016, 11:00 PM

98 posts, read 115,091 times
If the bag retails for under $100 I would say just buy it new. With some of the higher end bags my wife has had good luck picking them up at consignment stores or "boutique" 2nd-hand stores. She just recently picked up a great looking Marc Jacobs bag for around $200- a little less than half of what it would have cost new.

Old 03-12-2016, 12:13 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,031,211 times
Actually, for me, the question wouldn't be if I'd buy a used bag, the question is if I'd buy a new one. Don't think I've ever bought a new one, they just don't seem to be a decent value. I've made a few, they're surprisingly easy to make, especially a Vera Bradley cloth type, but I've made them of leather and Sunbrella, too. The rest of them are from yard sales and thrift shops. I think the next bag I carry around may be a gray Coach bag that was at a yard sale for $3. It still had it's tags on it, too. Guess it had been a gift they didn't like or something, I'd not really asked for the backstory on it. They were selling a lot of handbags and many of them looked like they'd never been used.

Old 03-12-2016, 03:11 AM

4 posts, read 2,990 times
I never buy used purse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty