Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2016, 04:30 PM

3,423 posts, read 4,363,735 times

Advertisements

Whatever you do... don't start slathering on a whole pile of makeup... it will make you look older, but not in a good way.

Avoid sneakers, jeans, and t-shirts. Avoid heels that are too high, and skirts that are too short. One more thing to avoid: blingy looking clothes. Like with glitter or shiny gold or silver prints.

It's also better to wear very little jewelry, and better quality jewelry, than to layer on a whole lot of inexpensive stuff.

Stick with solid colours and avoid prints... also, darker colours tend to look more "mature" than brighter colours, like bright yellow, pink, etc. Think "elegant" and "classic"... not "pretty" or "frilly".

In all honesty, you can find some decent clothes at places like Forever 21 and H&M that won't cost very much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2016, 07:24 PM

2,575 posts, read 2,074,255 times
I'm 25 and get asked when my prom is lol Usually it's in casual clothes, not my work clothes.
Go on pinterest, pick up some fashion magazines, see what young women are wearing. Nothing wrong with wanting to find your style. Look for things that inspire you and that fit well.

Old 03-29-2016, 04:41 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,884,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa2011 View Post

In all honesty, you can find some decent clothes at places like Forever 21 and H&M that won't cost very much.
By definition I think Forever 21 is exactly the wrong place for this person to shop. Their own description is "Chain for the latest fads in clothes, accessories & shoes for young women."

I didn't see one garment on their site that's appropriate. Maybe one pencil skirt.

Same for H&M. "retail-clothing company, known for its fast-fashion clothing for men, women, teenagers and children"

But at least H&M had one or two things that might work.

Product Detail | H&M US

As far as mall stores go, The Limited may have more of what she needs.

http://www.thelimited.com/online-sho...=KNC-GOOG-4128

Old 03-29-2016, 09:21 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,852,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
By definition I think Forever 21 is exactly the wrong place for this person to shop. Their own description is "Chain for the latest fads in clothes, accessories & shoes for young women."

I didn't see one garment on their site that's appropriate. Maybe one pencil skirt.

Same for H&M. "retail-clothing company, known for its fast-fashion clothing for men, women, teenagers and children"

But at least H&M had one or two things that might work.

Product Detail | H&M US

As far as mall stores go, The Limited may have more of what she needs.

Womens Work Clothes | Ladies Work Clothes | THE LIMITED
Forever 21 has everything. I have found quite a few work appropriate items there. It is hit or miss but inventory turns over fast.

She's 19, she doesn't need to look like she works in a law firm yet (as I am assuming her job is not). She just needs to figure out to put a more polished spin on her outfit.

I saw a super hip 20 something today wearing stuff she probably got at forever 21. Some black leggings, a mid calf length grey caftan and some ankle booties. Totally age appropriate without being too young. And totally on trend.

Old 03-29-2016, 10:13 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,884,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Forever 21 has everything. I have found quite a few work appropriate items there. It is hit or miss but inventory turns over fast.

She's 19, she doesn't need to look like she works in a law firm yet (as I am assuming her job is not). She just needs to figure out to put a more polished spin on her outfit.

I saw a super hip 20 something today wearing stuff she probably got at forever 21. Some black leggings, a mid calf length grey caftan and some ankle booties. Totally age appropriate without being too young. And totally on trend.
I looked at the site of their inventory I didn't just make it up out of my imagination.

But if you think being broke but "on trend" and coming to work in black leggins is a "polished look" for someone who wants to appear more mature than a teen, more power to ya.

Old 03-29-2016, 02:49 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,852,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
I looked at the site of their inventory I didn't just make it up out of my imagination.

But if you think being broke but "on trend" and coming to work in black leggins is a "polished look" for someone who wants to appear more mature than a teen, more power to ya.

Forever 21 refreshes everything in their store every 4-6 weeks. By the time the OP comes back, who knows what they will have. I have found suitable stuff for even a dressy work environment. I have some F21 dresses and other pieces that are staples for work in my closet now. I am well over 21. You can get stuff suitable for any occasion at just about any store if you know what to look for.

That being said, for most jobs there is a wide range of leeway on what is acceptable in today's more casual society. The OP is 19, she is mostly likely not working in a career job. She needs to look presentable. She should also look her age and not like she is playing dress up with Hilary Clinton's closet. Limited is probably a bit to old for a 19 year old.

Until the OP comes back with details on her job, I am going to assume she is working at a typical 19 year old's job: server / hostess in a restaurant, retail store, front desk at a gym/hotel/whatever. If she is working at an office job there are some more dependencies on what you can wear.

You can easily wear leggings in a dressy way and a too casual (i.e. with your hoodie or loose plaid flannel) for work way. The image I linked to would be fine for business casual places. Not for business formal places. You can incorporate trends at work. Even if it is a formal workplace. Just not all the trends at once. Right now the 70s are in. Forever21 probably has some wide legged trousers right now. Pair that with a blouse and you are work appropriate at almost anywhere.

Old 03-29-2016, 06:08 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,533,451 times
might be how op speaks that people think she is young/dumb... if she uses up speak or things like that and not how she dresses

From Upspeak To Vocal Fry: Are We 'Policing' Young Women's Voices? : NPR

when men do it, they sound "metro"? not sure if term is correct or not, but they dont sound "childish" just odd. when women do it, blame it on the hollywood tv shows, but they sound like teens...

Old 03-31-2016, 12:34 PM

219 posts, read 162,854 times
Shop in the misses department but if you look young you look young! I'm 24 and a marketing consultant...I've dressed business professional or business casual for the last 5 years. People still ask what middle school or high school I go to. I've had waiters bet that I wasn't above 18 on business trips! This is with my hair and makeup done, stilettos, and business suits/dresses or skirts/slacks and blouses.

Old 03-31-2016, 01:03 PM

16,715 posts, read 19,398,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countesscolor View Post
I am 19 and sadly still have most of my clothes comprised of what I had in high school and wasn't fortunate to have a mother that really taught me how to dress. I have been asked what high school I go to and even at work I am treated like some dumb teen.

I really want to dress more like a woman as opposed to a teen girl but don't have much money and need advice. Thanks!

Lose the scrunchies and ponytails.

Old 04-19-2016, 08:56 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,297,247 times
Stop buying in the junior department if that is where you get your clothes. I know a lot of women in their late 20's and early 30's who are still dressing like they are in high school. You can't go wrong with a basic black pencil skirt, a pair of black pants, a couple of good tops and a nice jacket. Stick with neutrals for work, no tight pants, skirts, ripped jeans or flip flops.

"Dress for the job you want, not the job you have".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty