Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2016, 01:30 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,672,796 times

Advertisements

High waists are great, and I don't know why they're not more widespread. The main thing high waists do, visually, is make legs look longer - and that's always been considered attractive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2016, 02:02 PM

37,612 posts, read 45,996,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
High waists are great, and I don't know why they're not more widespread. The main thing high waists do, visually, is make legs look longer - and that's always been considered attractive.
Because many of us find them to be uncomfortable. I hate pantyhose for that very reason. I don't think high-waisted looks bad, I simply don't like how it feels.

Old 03-30-2016, 02:28 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,569,981 times
Quote:
Not if paired with a short waist, which high-waisted styles emphasize. Then the look is reminiscent of Martin Short as Ed Grimley.

Old 03-30-2016, 04:33 PM

1,149 posts, read 1,591,523 times
Flannel has never really gone out of style. The type of person wearing it changes but it's always around somewhere.

Old 03-30-2016, 08:44 PM

17 posts, read 16,955 times
I love high waist paints...very slimming and modern. I am tall and thin though.
Tucked in shirt, heels and your ready for the day!

Old 03-31-2016, 07:21 AM

9 posts, read 10,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Not if paired with a short waist, which high-waisted styles emphasize. Then the look is reminiscent of Martin Short as Ed Grimley.
So true!
Not only does it look silly, for me, anything above the belly button feels suffocating. Hopefully the high-waisted style will pass again quickly.

Old 03-31-2016, 12:08 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,156,596 times
I am not sure if OP is referring to unnaturally high waisted pants that come up to the midriff or if she referring to belted pants that fall slightly higher, or right on the natural waist. I've seen lots of these latter in catalogs, so I do think it is a trend. I don't think this has anything to do with obesity. I do remember with affection wearing wool flannel trousers in the winter that came up to my natural waist, and which were belted. I was fatter than I am now, but I loved how the pants stayed put. Now I tend to buy lower rise jeans, and I wear no dress pants at all.

My favorite "high waisted" pants did not stay in style. I expect this style is simply a trend that will last for a few years, or even a decade, but will pass away like these things do. Women's fashion has just about done it all now, so small adjustments, such as placement of the waist, will have to suffice as new styles. At least that is my opinion.

On flannel--I think the OP is referring to flannel shirts? Doesn't a subset of men go for these? Some men will wear, and others won't? Flannel comes and goes just like everything else. I've noticed more corduroy in the last couple of years too. That's another thing that comes and goes.

Old 03-31-2016, 12:45 PM

604 posts, read 856,417 times
Quote:
I'm tall and all my height is in my legs, but I'm also short-waisted so high waists are the kiss of death for me. The Ed Grimley comment was right on.
Having said that, I've seen high-waisted styles that make me think "hey, that looks nice...just not on me."

Old 03-31-2016, 01:49 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,569,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schrodinger's Kittens View Post
I'm tall and all my height is in my legs, but I'm also short-waisted so high waists are the kiss of death for me. The Ed Grimley comment was right on.
Having said that, I've seen high-waisted styles that make me think "hey, that looks nice...just not on me."
Yep. I'm tall, with long legs and a short waist. There's no good reason to emphasize the short waist.

My high school flag corps uniform was high-waisted pants with a cummerbund and bolero jacket. A good look on nobody.

Old 04-01-2016, 12:37 AM

24,120 posts, read 32,475,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artillery77 View Post
The high waist on ladies and flannel, especially on bearded guys is still here with us. I can't say I'm a fan of any of it. I guess I can hide out in London looks for a bit, but how much longer do you think this will be with us...will it let up soon? The only thing left is mall bangs and I'm seeing some mullets.

I guess current style is worried about overpopulation? When will this be over?

Flannel was never a trend. Pick up an LL Bean catalogue. They've been around for over 50 years.

High Wasted pants? - Ugly in the 40s, early 70s and mid 80s. Just ignore them, they will go away.

I have long legs and a short waist. They don't look good on anyone. Avoid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty