U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2016, 09:47 PM

6,754 posts, read 3,998,794 times

Advertisements

My hands are pretty busy. As much as I long having well manicured hands I do not have time to put on a fresh coat of nail polish every day. That worked when I was a teenager, but as an adult these hands got to make a living and maintain a household so time to do daily touch ups is nominal. I also dislike having chipped nail polish or fingernails that are noticeably different lengths ex if one breaks they are all taking a hit to their length.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to maintain well groomed fingernails ex stronger, well shapes and nicely polished nails with the least amount of maintenance required? Someone was telling me about shellac? I was thinking of trying this. Does it actually significant help decrease the chances of natural nails breaking? Any feedback from people who do this type of manicure?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2016, 10:36 PM

343 posts, read 347,544 times
I do sculpting gel and gel polish on a top. Lasts 2 weeks - perfect nails with no chipping. When searching for a nail salon ask what brand they are using. Many salons use cheep staff, gels /powders that do not last. From my experience CND brand is the best and most durable (sculpting gel and gel polish).

Old 03-31-2016, 05:07 PM

Thanks for the tip. I think I might try to get this done some time in the next week !

Old 04-05-2016, 12:53 PM

1,314 posts, read 846,668 times
I agree with the CND--generally, that is what salons call shellac. Always check the bottle though--Creative Nail Designs It will last the longest. I'm really rough on my hands and I get a good 10 days out of it.

Old 04-06-2016, 03:06 PM

2,382 posts, read 4,621,664 times
I use a buffer to get mine super shiny - don't have the time to wait for polish to dry or visit a salon.

Old 04-06-2016, 05:49 PM

Default Thanks for the reminder ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakeneko View Post
I use a buffer to get mine super shiny - don't have the time to wait for polish to dry or visit a salon.
Thanks for that reminder. Those buffer block things to buff nails are pretty cool. I would never think some thing that simple would have such a great impact on the look of ones nails. I have some somewhere at home. The only missing link is it does not really help keep the nails strong and help decrease breakage. I am pretty rough with my hands (ex I do painting, home repairs and am pretty clumsy ... so nail breakage happens often). It is really annoying when you have got everything at a matching length and 1 of 10 nails chips or breaks. I hate waiting for polish to dry too. This is sort of why I was thinking of doing the shellac manicure? At least if it lasts longer it could be done well and less often.

Old 04-06-2016, 08:01 PM

749 posts, read 593,092 times
I use acrylics because I am a nail biter and they made me stop. And they last longer, too. I maintain them in between fills so only need to go for a fill about once every 3-4 weeks. It takes an hour and a half and costs $15. I use a quick dry top coat to keep them shiny.

Old 04-06-2016, 08:33 PM

1,040 posts, read 937,995 times
I have done the Sally Hansen Miracle Gel recently. It lasts maybe 4 days. (I type all day.)

I am going to try the buffer blocks mentioned earlier. I have never tried that.

I do like a sheer pink polish because it makes the nails look a little more "done" than no polish at all...and it doesn't show the chips easily. I usually put 1 clear top coat on it as well.

Old 04-08-2016, 03:21 PM

5,224 posts, read 13,713,042 times
I ALWAYS put at least 2-3 tops coats of clear on my polish...keeps it just fine!

Old 04-08-2016, 07:19 PM

11,754 posts, read 5,492,160 times
I don't have the patience to have acrylics anymore so I keep my fingernails 1/4 to 1/2 inch long and since I have deep ridges after I do the cuticles I use one or two coats of a product called "ridge filler", then to keep more of a natural look I put a coat of Revlon's "nail brightener". It gives my nails almost a natural French manicure look. I use a topcoat that is quick dry and touch up every few days with just the top coat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty