Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2016, 01:47 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,781,251 times

Advertisements

Buy what you want and don't expect to be able to trade a class ring in (well, maybe for $10 or something).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2016, 02:39 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,569,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
Do people actually wear their college rings for any length of time?
I didn't imagine I would, hence not getting one.

Old 03-31-2016, 02:57 PM

20,758 posts, read 19,968,204 times
tacky.

Get a bumper sticker "proud graduate of ..." ... it's cheaper

Old 03-31-2016, 03:22 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,951,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
tacky.

Get a bumper sticker "proud graduate of ..." ... it's cheaper
Lol, and a thumbs up. I don't know a single person who wears a school ring, but I know several who have them sitting in bedroom drawers.

Old 03-31-2016, 03:32 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,404,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
Do people actually wear their college rings for any length of time?

Some college rings are worn forever, such as the Texas A&M ring, West Point, and a few others. Others just sit in a drawer. A lot depends on if the ring is a traditional style, such as the Aggie ring, recognized worldwide. Or if there's multiple designs, made by multiple companies with different styles. Then its just a ring, not a symbol of your education and school.

OP I do like your color combinations of pink! Just what would you be wearing---a college ring, or a "pink" ring?

Old 03-31-2016, 03:49 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,256,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
I currently have a high school ring in 10K yellow gold and a (simulated) ruby. I am thinking of eventually thinking of trading it in for a college ring.

I am possibly thinking of getting my college ring in rose gold (known by Herff Jones as "Crimson Gold") with a pink sapphire. While everyone should know by now I love the color pink, I wonder if that might be a little too much pink. If I could keep one of the pink items, should I keep the rose gold, or should I keep the pink sapphire? I would at least like part of my ring to be pink. My current ruby does have a hint of pink in its hue (unlike the darker hue of garnet), so perhaps a ruby paired with rose gold would be pink enough.
If you pair a dark pink or red stone with rose gold, you'll lose the rose gold hue. The red of the stone will overpower it, making the rose gold look yellow gold. I see a lot of rose gold set with smoky topaz, which sets off the rose of the rose gold.

My mom's wedding ring was tri-color -- kind of amazing for 1946. And unlike most tri-colors today it was blended. About 4MM it was a pierced design, like a checkerboard, where there was 2 piercings it was yellow gold, one piercing, rose gold, the whole way around. The milgrain edging was white gold. As beautiful as it was, if you didn't study it -- it looked yellow gold.

Old 03-31-2016, 04:45 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,172,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
A lot depends on if the ring is a traditional style, such as the Aggie ring, recognized worldwide.
The only (non-military) people I know who wear their college ring attended the University of Southern California. And they are members of the Trojan cult who would not recognize, much less be impressed by, a Texas Aggie ring. Then there are the graduates of, say, Cambridge University who are not going to be saying, "Oh, my. You have a Texas Aggie ring. I'd recognize that anywhere!"

Sounds like Texas A&M is as much of a cult as USC.

Go Bruins.

Old 03-31-2016, 05:10 PM

24,114 posts, read 32,468,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
I currently have a high school ring in 10K yellow gold and a (simulated) ruby. I am thinking of eventually thinking of trading it in for a college ring.

I am possibly thinking of getting my college ring in rose gold (known by Herff Jones as "Crimson Gold") with a pink sapphire. While everyone should know by now I love the color pink, I wonder if that might be a little too much pink. If I could keep one of the pink items, should I keep the rose gold, or should I keep the pink sapphire? I would at least like part of my ring to be pink. My current ruby does have a hint of pink in its hue (unlike the darker hue of garnet), so perhaps a ruby paired with rose gold would be pink enough.

I don't know anyone who wears or owns a college ring.

In the 50s through 80s, people bought HS rings. I graduated in the 70s. I never wore it after HS.
My kids - 19 and 22 - did not buy HS rings. Neither did their friends.

I visit many colleges in my work. I don't see students wearing HS or college rings.

I would not buy one. Buy yourself a pretty ring that you love and will wear after you graduate.

Old 03-31-2016, 05:15 PM

24,114 posts, read 32,468,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
The only (non-military) people I know who wear their college ring attended the University of Southern California. And they are members of the Trojan cult who would not recognize, much less be impressed by, a Texas Aggie ring. Then there are the graduates of, say, Cambridge University who are not going to be saying, "Oh, my. You have a Texas Aggie ring. I'd recognize that anywhere!"

Sounds like Texas A&M is as much of a cult as USC.

Go Bruins.

This^^^

This only people I have ever seen with a college ring are either in the military or graduates of West Point, Norwich University (a military college) or Virginia Military Institute.

I live in the East, if you split the US down the middle, so I have never seen the Texas A&M rings. I know a USC grad from 1980. No ring.

Old 03-31-2016, 05:49 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,167,496 times
I don't know anyone who wears a college ring, and I wouldn't know an Aggie ring if I saw one. OP, it seems like most recent college grads are pretty broke. A class ring isn't something I'd be spending my money on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty