Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2016, 11:10 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,314,971 times

Advertisements

Fingernails might be pink or beige on most people but they are not bright red. So why is it any weirder to paint them blue than stoplight red?
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2016, 11:11 PM

1,450 posts, read 1,208,754 times
I still see older women, usually in their 80s, wearing red polish.

Old 04-20-2016, 11:52 PM

1,046 posts, read 1,260,229 times
OMG, so glad you asked this! I'm about to turn 70, and I *love* some of the blue nail polish colors out there these days! Just haven't gotten up my gumption to try them out.

I did buy a subdued coral the other day that was pretty conservative except for the fact that it had sparkles in it! Like mini confetti that sparkled. I LOVED it! But it chipped pretty fast, and then it was really hard to get off because it was a Sally Hansen gel color.

Is everybody equally enthusiastic about sparkly nails for us "elderly"? Or is there a different attitude about blue compared to sparkles??

When I was 13, I spent a week with my grandma near Washington, DC, hardly a backwater even then. I remember distinctly, she was appalled that I was wearing green fingernail polish. It may have been mostly because it matched my green capri pants/crop top outfit. She would not let me wear that out in public. That was 1959. Oh, how times have changed!!

Old 04-21-2016, 08:40 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,738,390 times
Do it! Love the jacket too.

Old 04-21-2016, 08:54 AM

2,648 posts, read 2,314,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
I got a hankering to try blue nail polish! Only thing, I'm 60 years old----is that too old for such colors? I don't want to look like a silly old lady but hey, you only live once! I also just bought an orange rain jacket---am I entering my dotage? Whatever......
http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/m...=269&RVI=Bag_2

This coat

I was going to get the usual---black or beige----guess I'm turning into a wild woman!

sorry, the age limit for blue nail polish is 59 1/2... You just missed it.

They're your nails.. If you want to paint them blue, go for it!

As far as the raincoat.. Personally, I would have gone for the teal, but that's just me. I look horrible in orange.

Old 04-21-2016, 09:33 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,306,731 times
Quote:
I got a hankering to try blue nail polish! Only thing, I'm 60 years old----is that too old for such colors? I don't want to look like a silly old lady but hey, you only live once! I also just bought an orange rain jacket---am I entering my dotage? Whatever......
http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/m...=269&RVI=Bag_2

This coat

I was going to get the usual---black or beige----guess I'm turning into a wild woman!

LOVE THE COAT! I'm 61 and have just bought a bluish green nail polish. I will put that on my toes and a very light blue on my fingernails. At first I had the same concern as you - that I would look ridiculous but I look good for my age, have a cute hairstyle, dress fashionably without looking like I'm trying to hard to dress like a 25 year old. So I say go for it - one of the perks of getting older is we can do what we want to do and not worry what other people think.

Old 04-21-2016, 09:47 AM

5,126 posts, read 7,407,985 times
Quote:

I got a hankering to try blue nail polish! Only thing, I'm 60 years old----is that too old for such colors? I don't want to look like a silly old lady but hey, you only live once!
If you don't do the blue polish, I'm going to sneak into your house after dark and paint your nails while you're sleeping.

Think of how happy you will be when you wake up!

Old 04-21-2016, 09:52 AM

5,126 posts, read 7,407,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocopsonite View Post

OMG, so glad you asked this! I'm about to turn 70, and I *love* some of the blue nail polish colors out there these days! Just haven't gotten up my gumption to try them out.

I did buy a subdued coral the other day that was pretty conservative except for the fact that it had sparkles in it! Like mini confetti that sparkled. I LOVED it! But it chipped pretty fast, and then it was really hard to get off because it was a Sally Hansen gel color.

Is everybody equally enthusiastic about sparkly nails for us "elderly"? Or is there a different attitude about blue compared to sparkles??
I don't really paint my nails, but I LOVE the newer polishes with sparkles. It's amazing how many different effects there are. Not a fan of nail art, but I think the sparkles and fun colors have their place.

I think you can get away with more wildness on nails than wildness in makeup. An older woman with impeccable subtle makeup and fun nails is . . . FUN!

Old 04-21-2016, 11:05 AM

6,720 posts, read 8,387,150 times
I love it! Aren't you past the age where you need to do what society deems "appropriate". I say, do what you want. :-)

Old 04-21-2016, 11:08 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,738,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyerland View Post
I love it! Aren't you past the age where you need to do what society deems "appropriate". I say, do what you want. :-)

Agree 1000%
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty