Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2017, 07:54 PM

1,573 posts, read 2,924,214 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Yes, at age 68, my brow are half gray. You can try using an eyebrow tint, I used to use one from Godefroy - it is much safer to use than hair dye. The problem is, it doesn't last very long (a few days, even though they say several weeks) so I decided it is not worth it. I buy a good brow mascara that covers the silver and brings out what I have.

Incidentally, I quit using regular shampoo and started using a shampoo bar with all natural ingredients including castor oil, and I have a whole crop of baby hair shoots sprouting out!!!
Are you allowed to share the brand name of this shampoo bar? Still having lots of new DARK hair coming in in my sliver which has been all silver for at least 15 years or more. Still amazed by this. Curious to see what finally happens. At this point very thin dark streaks are starting to show up. So weird. Even doc thinks it is weird. I am 68. Started to go gray in my 20's

I looked closely at my eye lashes and brows last night and lashes are for sure longer. Not huglly like you see 4 week results on R&F or products like that. But for sure longer laying out on my cheek when my eye is closed . After I put a little bit of the Almay mascara on, when I remember, I need to keep my eyes at half mast until I am sure the mascara is dry or I put lash marks up under my brow.

The right eyebrow has wild and crazy hairs and now I feel the need to do some plucking in the low under area as those hairs are not even close where I would want them. the left brow had the worst patch of psoriasis on it and that is almost gone now but the brow hairs have not come back in very much.

Also my brows and lashes are both about half gray half dark. I have not learned to do brow mascara or pencil or whatever it is. I have tried both and just make a big hot mess. Watched many youtube videos still not getting it. They make it look so easy. I make it look so dumb.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2017, 06:58 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,113,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shades_of_idaho View Post
Are you allowed to share the brand name of this shampoo bar? Still having lots of new DARK hair coming in in my sliver which has been all silver for at least 15 years or more. Still amazed by this. Curious to see what finally happens. At this point very thin dark streaks are starting to show up. So weird. Even doc thinks it is weird. I am 68. Started to go gray in my 20's

I looked closely at my eye lashes and brows last night and lashes are for sure longer. Not huglly like you see 4 week results on R&F or products like that. But for sure longer laying out on my cheek when my eye is closed . After I put a little bit of the Almay mascara on, when I remember, I need to keep my eyes at half mast until I am sure the mascara is dry or I put lash marks up under my brow.

The right eyebrow has wild and crazy hairs and now I feel the need to do some plucking in the low under area as those hairs are not even close where I would want them. the left brow had the worst patch of psoriasis on it and that is almost gone now but the brow hairs have not come back in very much.

Also my brows and lashes are both about half gray half dark. I have not learned to do brow mascara or pencil or whatever it is. I have tried both and just make a big hot mess. Watched many youtube videos still not getting it. They make it look so easy. I make it look so dumb.
I am using a bar made b "Funky Soap" - they are in London, here is website:

Funky Soap Shop LTD

I actually bought mine from them on Ebay, it does take a few weeks to receive because it comes from England, but it is inexpensive and SOOOOOO worth it. My hair looks and feels better than it has in years. I had first tried one that cost twice as much from another company but I hated it.

Anyway, the trick to brow mascara is to use a "light touch" a good brow mascara should be thin and non-goopy with a smallish brush. I have more gray on my right brow so I have to go over it with the brush more times, but this works really well for me.

Old 10-20-2017, 12:23 PM

1,573 posts, read 2,924,214 times
Quote:
I am using a bar made b "Funky Soap" - they are in London, here is website:

Funky Soap Shop LTD

I actually bought mine from them on Ebay, it does take a few weeks to receive because it comes from England, but it is inexpensive and SOOOOOO worth it. My hair looks and feels better than it has in years. I had first tried one that cost twice as much from another company but I hated it.

Anyway, the trick to brow mascara is to use a "light touch" a good brow mascara should be thin and non-goopy with a smallish brush. I have more gray on my right brow so I have to go over it with the brush more times, but this works really well for me.
Thank you so much. Once I heard about shampoo soap bars with mixed reviews. Also thanks for the eye brow mascara tips. I had no idea there was a mascara just for eyebrows. That could make a huge difference. I do wear glasses so my eyebrows do not show much which is a good thing maybe.

Old 10-20-2017, 10:18 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,724,715 times
Quote:
Yes, at age 68, my brow are half gray. You can try using an eyebrow tint, I used to use one from Godefroy - it is much safer to use than hair dye. The problem is, it doesn't last very long (a few days, even though they say several weeks) so I decided it is not worth it. I buy a good brow mascara that covers the silver and brings out what I have.

Incidentally, I quit using regular shampoo and started using a shampoo bar with all natural ingredients including castor oil, and I have a whole crop of baby hair shoots sprouting out!!!
This is good for brows. It also has a video

https://www.sephora.com/product/goof...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

Old 10-21-2017, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
This is good for brows. It also has a video

https://www.sephora.com/product/goof...B&gclsrc=aw.ds
That will work for those who like and use pencils. They don't work for me, my brows look too dark and fake filled in with pencil. I much prefer using the brow mascara, which covers they gray brow strands. In a pinch I might use brow powder instead.

Old 11-04-2017, 08:04 PM

4,901 posts, read 8,749,963 times
Quote:
About the mascara - Another good one if you want just that "light touch" is the organic one by Almay.

As far as brows, I have found brow hair takes a really long time to grow, or revive if follicles have been dormant for awhile. The key is consistency and to keep doing it. Also, again, you can't always tell how much they have improved unless you use brow mascara on them to bring out the color. I am amazed how thick mine look when I do this, because I have silver/black brows now and they don't show up naturally.
Well, I finally made it to WalMart to look for mascara. Couldn't find an organic Almay one, so I just bought some other kind that wasn't "super-duper volumizing and lengthening". It does ok, but it has a few little flakes also.

One problem I've always had with mascara is that it makes my top and bottom lashes stick together. Since using the castor oil I've had some grow in that sort of hang straight down...I had to pull them out to keep them from tangling in the lower lashes! *sigh* If it ain't one thing, it's another.

As for brow mascara, I found some in only one brand and they didn't have black. So I just used some of this new mascara on them and it looks fine to me. What is the difference in lash and brow mascara?

Old 11-05-2017, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvvarkansas View Post
Well, I finally made it to WalMart to look for mascara. Couldn't find an organic Almay one, so I just bought some other kind that wasn't "super-duper volumizing and lengthening". It does ok, but it has a few little flakes also.

One problem I've always had with mascara is that it makes my top and bottom lashes stick together. Since using the castor oil I've had some grow in that sort of hang straight down...I had to pull them out to keep them from tangling in the lower lashes! *sigh* If it ain't one thing, it's another.

As for brow mascara, I found some in only one brand and they didn't have black. So I just used some of this new mascara on them and it looks fine to me. What is the difference in lash and brow mascara?
The basic difference in the brow mascara is the formula is a LOT thinner - if you try putting regular mascara on your brows they will look VERY heavy and fake - if dark, like Groucho Marx! lol I buy mine online, there are two types I use, one is "Cover your Grey", the other if "Frameous Brows." The Frameous Brows is cheap and you have to be carefuly applying, but they have just the right shade I like. The other one is darker, but thinner. I like and use both.

I am surprised you have problems with the mascara. As I said, I went back to my old standby, Great Lash, and am happy with it. It goes on thin (I do wipe the brush first so no globs) and if needed I use an eyelash comb after. My eyes have become very sensitive lately and have to be careful what I use on them. Most mascaras feel way too heavy.

Old 11-05-2017, 09:37 AM

7 posts, read 6,294 times
I have tried that and seems it's effective. My lashes are getting ticker and stronger.

Old 11-07-2017, 10:07 PM

4,901 posts, read 8,749,963 times
Quote:
I am surprised you have problems with the mascara. As I said, I went back to my old standby, Great Lash, and am happy with it. It goes on thin
I used Great Lash for a long time, and it left the little specks on my lashes also...which then flake off and cause smears.

Old 11-08-2017, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvvarkansas View Post
I used Great Lash for a long time, and it left the little specks on my lashes also...which then flake off and cause smears.
Great Lash does have a couple different formulas, I believe. Maybe that is it? Or maybe you bought a tube that was "old." I don't know, honestly this is the best one I have used and I have tried many, most of which are as you describe, gloppy, flakey, gooey, whatever. This one is light and thin with a small real brush. Do not get "waterproof" that stuff is awful. This one is easy to remove.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty