Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2016, 10:57 AM

6,750 posts, read 5,688,167 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by western-girl View Post
My boyfriend is Native American Indian (really - with a tribal ID card and Indian name)! We have been going to school in Florida and I have already been accepted for a job in Seattle. After graduation in 3 weeks we will drive to Seattle to start my new job. We have been together for nearly a year. I am a Euromutt white girl and he is full blood Sioux and was raised on the reservation. I have lived in Florida my whole life. He is the only non-white guy I have ever been with. I love him.

He has long jet black hair, high cheek bones, dark eyes, and a natural tan. He dances in pow-wows and does other indian activities. He has several sets of traditional indian clothing which includes breechcloths, moccasins, and head bands with a feather - of course he has normal white people type clothing that he usually wears.

The air conditioning died in our car last month and we won't have the money to fix it until after I start my new job.

When we drive to Seattle I want my boyfriend to just wear his Indian style breechcloth and headband like he wears to powwows and other indian activities! He looks great in a breechcloth and it seems to me that as a native american indian here in the US he would have the right to wear his traditional clothing anywhere any time!

But I am concerned if there could be racist rednecks that could cause trouble for him wearing his traditional clothing or cause trouble for him being an indian with a white girl. We have never had any trouble with him wearing his traditional clothing here in florida. How will people in other states/areas act with an indian in his traditional clothing sharing motel rooms with a white girl?

The thought of driving across country with my indian boyfriend wearing his traditional breechcloth is fun! I like the thought of him going into truck stops and gas stations to pay for our fuel - standing in line will be a nice & respectable native guy in a breechcloth with a headband and a feather - same thing every nite at motels!

Should I expect any problems during the trip?
Let him dress how he wants. It is kind of odd that you are selecting his clothes for him. I question if you are only looking for drama with this. You don't really sound very well exposed to other cultures.

Old 04-26-2016, 01:00 PM

13,654 posts, read 12,310,989 times
Mod cut.

You won't find much as far as pockets of racism outside of areas that don't have a large Native American presence.

Almost all anti-Native sentiment that I've heard is in areas around Reservations.

I think this is true of a lot of racism towards a lot of groups, actually.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 04-27-2016 at 08:28 AM.. Reason: Off-topic.

Old 04-26-2016, 01:00 PM

4,170 posts, read 6,861,011 times
it sounds more like she wants to parade him around as a novelty for her own benefit of finding him attractive with no regard to whether he wants to do this or whether it is respectful to his culture.

Old 04-26-2016, 01:38 PM

1,949 posts, read 6,444,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
I understand that this is mostly a troll post, but still...

You won't find much as far as pockets of racism outside of areas that don't have a large Native American presence.

Almost all anti-Native sentiment that I've heard is in areas around Reservations.

I think this is true of a lot of racism towards a lot of groups, actually.
it's true, it even happens in places like San Francisco, a lot of people there have anti Chinese sentiment, especially transplants that are not use to being around so many asians, they sometimes show aggression and hostility to the local asian community, probably because there are so many, similar to how you would see a lot of native americans around reservations and the anti NA sentiment.

Old 04-26-2016, 01:48 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,544,630 times
Why do you want him to dress like this? Does he want to? You could end up with issues in places that require shirts, shoes, pants, etc. Why make him stand out and have people stare at him? Seems like a mean thing to do to someone!

Old 04-26-2016, 01:55 PM

102,096 posts, read 107,215,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Why do you want him to dress like this? Does he want to? You could end up with issues in places that require shirts, shoes, pants, etc. Why make him stand out and have people stare at him? Seems like a mean thing to do to someone!
How can anyone make a grown man do anything? Hard to believe the OP is serious.

Old 04-26-2016, 02:06 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,639,746 times
Mod cut.

Stop telling a grown man how to dress. He's capable of making these decisions for himself.

Stop treating him like a sideshow. He's a person, not something invented for your amusement.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 04-27-2016 at 08:29 AM.. Reason: Off-topic.

Old 04-26-2016, 06:40 PM

149 posts, read 551,259 times
I kinda wonder why she said he's "Sioux" -- that's what the French called the tribal people who called themselves Lakota, Dakota, etc. These days, most Native Americans use their actual tribal name for themselves, not some name other people were calling them. If he calls himself "Sioux", I'd wonder if he really was....

And I agree he'd be making something of a spectacle of himself wearing that particular tribal garb to drive across country. He could dress in full leathers and still be traditional.

Old 04-26-2016, 06:59 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,551,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by western-girl View Post
I ran the idea by him last weekend when we were driving from Tampa to Jacksonville and he was dressed in his traditional breechcloth (we were driving home from a powwow). Since our air conditioning is broke, it helps him stay cool and he doesn't mind. He said if I wanted him to dress that way for the drive to Seattle he would do it as long as we keep a set of white people clothing incase he needs those type of clothes. Here in Florida they have been accepting of him when he wears traditional clothing.

Mod cut. FL is hardly known as accepting place other than maybe South FL, I highly doubt that people in FL(which is loaded with rednecks) driving from Tampa to Jacksonville wouldn't make comments. Unless you never stopped anywhere along the way and no one saw him.

Get your A/C fixed.

Mod cut. I can tell you driving across the country you don't want to draw attention to yourselves. Why look for trouble? All it takes is one person and you have a problem. The idea is to get from Point A to Point B safely, don't do things that can cause trouble, you have to drive through Alabama, Mississippi, and Lousiana, and of course Texas.

You're going to have eat along the way, he can't dress like that in even casual restaurants. And motels along the way may say no.

Mod cut.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 04-27-2016 at 08:32 AM.. Reason: Off-topic.

Old 04-26-2016, 07:57 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,487,672 times
White people clothing?? That's offensive. This guy is neither an object or a pet. Have some respect for him.

I know quite a few enrolled tribal members and have never seen one wear traditional ceremonial clothing "just because". They wear them for special sacred occasions. I doubt a road trip with a "euro mutt" girlfriend qualifies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty