Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2018, 07:26 PM

3,071 posts, read 1,994,776 times

Advertisements

I like to dress up for anything. I'm one of those who will go to a ballet, symphony or theatre in a gown or cocktail dress because it's fun... not a Cinderella hoop skirt, but there are gowns today that could be cut to the knee & worn as a nice summery dress, if desired. No judgment on those who don't... I just enjoy being dressed up whenever possible.

On the rare occasions I wear jeans, I'd probably wear them with flat/heeled ankle boots & a suit jacket.

In the summer, I like to wear pretty skirts with sandals or dresses with flats, everywhere I go.

For me, sneakers are for exercising... I don't wear them as shoes, so if I'm in shorts/yoga pants & sneakers, it means I'm headed to or from a workout.

I've been told several times I like to dress up for no reason... they meant it as criticism, but I don't care... those who said it dress in clothing I'd only wear at home doing house cleaning, which is fine. Wear what you find comfy... for me, that's being dressed up a bit, wearing a bit of makeup & having washed hair. I like life to feel a bit like a Cary Grant movie (look 'em up whippersnappers!).

I only have had 3 bf's who've liked to dress up, too. It was fun to go out for the night where our styles matched. But, I dress for the occasion... if hiking, I'm in hiking gear... I don't wear makeup & well coiffed hair to the beach cuz I'm in the water... I'd dress conservatively to meet your mum for lunch... & if attending a function, event, banquet, I'd dress appropriate for the occasion, which means dressing up a bit. For your backyard BBQ... sandals, skirt or shorts & a dark tee, so all the spills don't show.

Sweats & loose tees make me feel depressed, like I'm home ill for the day, so I don't even own them. To each their own. Feel comfy. I'm most comfy in a dress & heels or sometimes flats. Depends.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2018, 07:48 PM

497 posts, read 422,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
Just curious about everyone on this forum with this question. For me the answer is never.

I have to wear business casual at work which I do (no tie required), and I usually do that at church too, though sometimes I would add a tie, but rarely. I obviously dress up for special events like weddings and funerals.

Aside from that, I typically don't even wear a collared shirt. In the summer outside of the above settings I'm always in a t-shirt (sometimes when I'm just driving to the pool I would drive with no shirt on at all and that's not completely usual where I live which is a mostly rural blue collar area). I only wear dress shoes to work and church. All other times, I'm in tennis shoes, sandals, or flip flops. I always wear jeans in the winter and shorts in the summer, and khakis only at work and church. Occasionally when I feel lazy I do wear my pajamas for quick errands late at night or first thing in the morning, especially if its just places like Walmart, the supermarket, etc. My dress code is not unusual at all where I live.

I do know a couple people who dress up when they're not at work, but that's cause they work blue collar jobs. But just about everyone around me who has a dress code to follow at work would always dress down all the other times. In fact I know quite a few people who change into a t-shirt, flip flops etc before stopping at Walmart on the way home.

So, do any of y'all actually dress up, as in business casual or better just to go shopping, run errands, etc??
Yes. My personal presentation is important to me, to put my best foot forward and enjoy the things I own.

Old 11-21-2018, 04:17 PM

12,767 posts, read 14,959,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
Not really unless it's a wedding, funeral, or fancier event of some kind. For example, I like going to live theatrical performances (musicals, ballets, etc.) & people still wear jeans these days to them, which one can easily dress up.

I went to my aunt's burial at sea memorial service 2 mos ago & my mom & I were the most dressed ones there. We both had on black pantsuits. The only person just as dressed up was the granddaughter who arranged the service...she wore a white dress.
Just last night, I went to a Cirque du Soliel performance & wore black pants, a dark blue sparkly top, big rhinestone earrings, & a metallic clutch.

Old 11-21-2018, 09:49 PM

5 posts, read 2,319 times
Since I don't work or get out much (SAHM), I do like to dress up. I enjoy putting a little makeup on yo go to the grocery store or a Bbq.

Old 11-21-2018, 09:56 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,371,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
When I was younger, like in my 20's, my sister and I used to get all dressed up to go to the mall. Like on weekends we didn't have dates, we got dressed up and went to the mall. What can I say? We were young, cute, and strutting our stuff. (shrugging shoulders.)
I had a friend who would get dressed up to go to the mall, as in wearing a suit, heels, hosiery. Almost like she was going to a job interview. She dressed up like this quite often.

Old 11-22-2018, 08:19 AM

5,182 posts, read 5,246,081 times
Since retiring from a "white collar" job -- 22 years ago -- I have lived in, depending on the season, basketball shorts, jeans, or sweat pants. For the top: t-shirt, tank top, pullover sweatshirt or sweater.

And that includes church.

A regular fashion icon.

Old 11-22-2018, 03:27 PM

3,633 posts, read 6,169,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I wear skirts and sundresses all the time because they're comfortable. But they're casual.
When it's warm in the summer nothing beats them. But I'm always amused that friends will comment on how dressed up I am, because I wear very casual dresses and skirts (Bean, Royal Robbins, Toad and Co, etc.) with sandals. It's funny how such simple clothes are considered "dressed up" these days.

Old 11-23-2018, 07:45 AM

15,971 posts, read 9,380,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
I had a friend who would get dressed up to go to the mall, as in wearing a suit, heels, hosiery. Almost like she was going to a job interview. She dressed up like this quite often.
I wanna meet your friend.

Old 11-23-2018, 08:09 PM

3,052 posts, read 2,923,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post

So, do any of y'all actually dress up, as in business casual or better just to go shopping, run errands, etc??

Yes, I do. I have two levels of clothing types--the kind of stuff I wear around the house and to bed and the kind I wear when I'm out in public. I just enjoy dressing up and like to look nice whenever I'm out. It's the same type of style, business casual at work and at church. My work has a fairly loose dress code. Most of the time I'll wear leggings and a long shirt/sweater depending on the weather. Sometimes I'll wear non-legging pants but they're not really slacks, like an in-between it's kind of hard to describe. And then sometimes I'll wear a skirt and very rarely a dress (like a summer dress). That's about what I wear to church and out to run errands.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty