Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2016, 05:28 PM

37,617 posts, read 45,996,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassy Fae View Post
Lol 7 bras? You must be rolling in the money. That's at least $350 in bras. I can see 3, maybe 4 a year, but never 7.
LOL!!!!

Honey you don't even wanna know how many I have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2016, 05:31 PM

14,313 posts, read 11,702,283 times
The only things that I wash after every wearing, without fail, are underwear, socks, and workout clothes. Everything else is on a case-by-case basis. I've never had as many as seven bras at one time in my entire life and I would not dream of washing a bra after only one wear. Just not into needless work and wasting of water and other resources.

If you feel a compulsion to wash every single garment after one wear regardless of circumstances, I'd argue that YOU are the one with a slight problem. I know a woman like this. She has a husband and five kids and she washes everything they wear or use every single day. Seven people--seven complete sets of clothes, seven pairs of pajamas, seven bath towels, seven sets of sheets (make that six, since she and her husband share a bed). Every day. But at least she cheerfully admits that she is a germophobe and clean freak with OCD.

Old 05-15-2016, 05:33 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,733,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmax View Post
I honestly did not know that so many people didn't wash their clothes after wearing them. I think that's really gross. I was recently reading a thread in the Psychology forum where the OP often "forgets" to take showers and sprays clothes with Febreeze and wears them over and over instead of washing them.

And some people are so very defensive about not washing their clothes or not showering every day, as if those who think that is odd or disgusting are the ones who are "weird."

Sorry, I just don't think so.

And the friends that am referring to don't lack the resources to buy more bras. They just think it's normal.

Also, $350 in bras is not really that much money...we are talking about things that you wear every single day. I also don't get the magic "once a year" thing...I didn't know bras had an expiration date. Mine last longer than a year and still look great, even though I wash them in the washing machine (on the hand wash cycle). Some get worn out and have to be tossed within a year or so, some last 2-3+ years. Even though they come from Victoria's Secret and are supposedly "garbage."
You must have magic boobs. Good for you.

As a DD, my bras tend to be miracles of modern engineering. Finding a bra that is both comfortable, supporting, and sexy is expensive (typically northwards of $75) and I like them to last as long as possible (a year would be wonderful). It is a known fact that washing bras stretches them, maybe with your magic boobs you don't notice something as mundane as stretched fabric but many of the rest of us do.

That being said, even fashion magazines advise against washing after every wear.

How To Wash And Dry Your Bras Without Ruining Them

Old 05-15-2016, 05:38 PM

1,640 posts, read 794,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
LOL!!!!

Honey you don't even wanna know how many I have.
I don't know where I would put that many! I've probably had a lot of bras at one time, but most that no longer fit. Throwing them out is always hard given the price. I'm down to three now that fit well enough. Meh, my mother got a reduction and that made her life much easier. It's tempting.

Old 05-15-2016, 05:57 PM

3,125 posts, read 3,023,509 times
I have magic boobs because my bras sometimes last a couple of years, even though I wash them? This is crazy lol.

I really don't care about that link. This link says that the Levi's CEO says that you should never wash your jeans, and that is disgusting.

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-st...-a6881031.html

Old 05-15-2016, 06:08 PM

22,182 posts, read 19,221,727 times
not everyone sweats or has body odor to the point where it is necessary

my mother has never worn deodorant, and does not smell. i seem to have inherited this from her. the consistent "odor" comment i get from those close to me is how good my hair smells (fragrant shampoo). I have never used deodorant or antiperspirant and I am not a shower fanatic, i can go with one shower per week easily. my mother also has never worn makeup, and people comment constantly on her beautiful skin and complexion. she is now 87. i remember throughout the decades touching her cheek or arm and marveling at how soft her skin is. no, that is not the topic, but she has just been diagnosed with dementia so i am remembering nice things about her

Old 05-15-2016, 06:26 PM

6,005 posts, read 4,788,219 times
Oh my gawd, I wrote, "drier" instead of "dryer" in my earlier post. I have a sinus infection and a massive headache and now I feel like a boob. Derp.

Also, I kind of think that arguing about boob sweat and bras has to be the funniest internet argument ever.

Old 05-15-2016, 06:36 PM

14,949 posts, read 12,147,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Me neither.

Are people also concerned about wearing panties with the elastic stretched out?
Only if I were wearing a skirt and was afraid my panties would fall down in a wad around my feet in a public place.

Old 05-15-2016, 06:46 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,785,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Not true. The whole reason for the hook positions is so that as the bra stretches a bit, you can use the next tighter hook. That's why you are supposed to buy a bra that fits with the hooks in the LAST hook position.
Actually, you're supposed to buy a bra that fits well in the middle hook position (I used to do bra fittings for a company I was with) - that way, if you lose a little weight, you can tighten it, gain a couple lbs. you can go to the end hook.

Old 05-15-2016, 06:49 PM

14,949 posts, read 12,147,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
You must have magic boobs. Good for you.

As a DD, my bras tend to be miracles of modern engineering. Finding a bra that is both comfortable, supporting, and sexy is expensive (typically northwards of $75) and I like them to last as long as possible (a year would be wonderful). It is a known fact that washing bras stretches them, maybe with your magic boobs you don't notice something as mundane as stretched fabric but many of the rest of us do.

That being said, even fashion magazines advise against washing after every wear.

How To Wash And Dry Your Bras Without Ruining Them
I noticed the flow chart in the article applied the "sniff test" to determine if a bra needed washing, and suggested wearing it again if it didn't smell bad. That's generally the criteria I use for a bra I have worn a few days. They suggest NOT washing bras routinely after one use. Unless, of course, the wearer fell frontfirst flat into a mud puddle.

In my laundromat days of long ago I hated washing clothes there so much I only did it once a month. So I invested in 31 pairs of underpants so I would have enough clean pants to last that long. I can't even remember how many bras I had, but it was less than 31.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty