Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2016, 08:48 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,335,318 times

Advertisements

I'm thinking Liberte Chan is probably just jealous of Jackie Johnson and wants more people to look her way. LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2016, 10:09 AM

18,757 posts, read 11,789,983 times
[quote=rainroosty;44079302]I see absolutely nothing wrong about her wearing that pretty dress and I am disgusted that this world today sucks.

Too funny Sorry I can't rep you yet. She was really cute wasn't she.

Old 05-17-2016, 11:00 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,135,605 times
Lol @ how scandalous it apparently is to show a woman's bare arms in the US. May as well have shoved a burka in her hands: "put this on ASAP, people are outraged".

What she wore is no big deal compared to meteorologists in many other countries.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-N0g3o0AQ05...2B14.09.59.png

http://www.unotre.com/main/wp-conten...-Hollywood.jpg

Last edited by ohhwanderlust; 05-17-2016 at 11:12 AM..

Old 05-17-2016, 11:25 AM

2,811 posts, read 2,181,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Docendo discimus View Post
And as someone else already alluded to, it was her co anchor who handed her the cardigan on air, not a producer, and it was done as a gag and a joke...not as admonishment. Everyone at the station thought the complaining emails coming in were funny and they decided to run with it. Chan's statement:

"For the record, I was not ordered by KTLA to put on the sweater. I was simply playing along with my co-anchor’s joke, and if you’ve ever watched the morning show, you know we poke fun at each other all the time."
HAHA! So much for the handwringing.

Old 05-17-2016, 11:26 AM

2,811 posts, read 2,181,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Publicity stunt. Ratings must be in the toilet.
Nope. Most watched news in L.A.. That took milliseconds of Googling to find out.

Old 05-17-2016, 11:34 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,807,837 times
Lol at some posts here...

What is "professional" is a matter of opinion, and at the end of the day, it is what her employer dictates. Her employer had no issues with her dress, and the handing of the sweater was just merely a joke.

Old 05-17-2016, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
Lol @ how scandalous it apparently is to show a woman's bare arms in the US. May as well have shoved a burka in her hands: "put this on ASAP, people are outraged".

What she wore is no big deal compared to meteorologists in many other countries.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-N0g3o0AQ05...2B14.09.59.png

http://www.unotre.com/main/wp-conten...-Hollywood.jpg
There are plenty of people who prescribe to the "women must cover up" mentality the Middle East is so often criticized for.

She was dressed on par with many weather girls in this country.

Old 05-17-2016, 12:13 PM

6,616 posts, read 4,877,478 times
Naturalistic fallacy. (By the way, the meteorologist's pink dress above is a slightly more inappropriate cousin of what Liberte Chan wore.) Maybe misleading too, because I'm not sure weather girls on network TV in any first-world country (where women have equal rights) regularly dress more risqué than Chan and her risk-taking American peers. It also ignores the fact that men on the news always (in every country, I assume) cover up much more than anyone normal expects of women.

The public reaction to the outfit is yet another indicator that many people (very few of whom are religious extremists, who probably avoid standard TV) have a problem with how weather girls dress and likely also object to how many women dress on their own time. Viewers absolutely have a right to complain, and TV stations should pay attention to that. If stations don't please their viewers, their ratings suffer. In a way, viewers collectively are part-owners.

And KTLA's high morning ratings are a surprise to me, presuming the trend continues in 2016, but that doesn't mean Chan or her style deserves much credit for that.

Old 05-17-2016, 12:14 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,130,473 times
Quote:
I didn't see any problem with her attire. It was a dress. I didn't see anything that would make me think it was as grossly inappropriate as people are saying.
Quote:
Not inappropriate as in too sexy or whatever, inappropriate as in wearing white tennis shoes with your black suit at work. Or dress shoes with ankle socks and tennis shorts. Or wearing your favorite Hawaiian shirt to a business meeting with VIPs.
This is the fashion forum so we are talking a fashion faux pas, not OMG she looked like a hooker.

Last edited by DubbleT; 05-17-2016 at 12:24 PM..

Old 05-17-2016, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
Naturalistic fallacy. (By the way, the meteorologist's pink dress above is a slightly more inappropriate cousin of what Liberte Chan wore.) Maybe misleading too, because I'm not sure weather girls on network TV in any first-world country (where women have equal rights) regularly dress more risqué than Chan and her risk-taking American peers. It also ignores the fact that men on the news always (in every country, I assume) cover up much more than anyone normal expects of women.

The public reaction to the outfit is yet another indicator that many people (very few of whom are religious extremists, who probably avoid standard TV) have a problem with how weather girls dress and likely also object to how many women dress on their own time. Viewers absolutely have a right to complain, and TV stations should pay attention to that. If stations don't please their viewers, their ratings suffer. In a way, viewers collectively are part-owners.

And KTLA's high morning ratings are a surprise to me, presuming the trend continues in 2016, but that doesn't mean Chan or her style deserves much credit for that.
Yea, but exactly what would the line be for a legitimate number of complaints? All I read so far is a "few" emails came in complaining. That could be three emails or 30 for all we know; is that enough for a station or anyone to make any changes to anything?

Additionally, there were plenty of people complimenting her dress; so should they not take those into account?

Should people be proactive when they do not have a complaint? I mean the only time anything makes it into the media or action is taken is when there are complaints, even one Twitter seems to be jumped on, while ignoring the fact thousands, maybe millions of others had no complaints at all about said action.

Chan's style does not get much credit for the ratings, she is one of the primary cogs in the wheel that create the ratings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty