Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2016, 05:20 AM

105 posts, read 118,794 times

Advertisements

I am 28 and I know of all the gfs I have had (including my current one) none have ever used hair rollers. As for hairspray I can only really think of two that used it, and even then it was rarely used and when it was it was quick squirts of it (not sure if that is the right term). I do remember growing up my mother would use hair rollers and when she would use hair spray you'd hear it going for like 10-20 seconds lol.

But when it comes to women my age at least they don't seem very prominent at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2016, 06:07 AM

6,720 posts, read 8,385,974 times
I occasionally use hot rollers. They are much faster and easier to use than a curling iron if you want masses of curls or just volume. (Also less damaging) Super large curlers just add volume. Then I use a curling iron or flat iron for a few specific face framing curls. The younger girls (22-26) I work with always ask me how I did my hair, and a few have borrowed them to try it out.

Because they've never used them before. A couple have borrowed them
I only use hairspray when I do my daughter's hair for dance to slick back any flyaways.

Old 05-16-2016, 06:15 AM

22,568 posts, read 47,633,000 times
I don't know of anyone who uses hot rollers any more... we all transitioned over to curling irons of various widths.
Some of my friends use product in their hair for control, but only the ones in their 80s and 90s use hair spray.
I am in my 60s.

Old 05-16-2016, 06:18 AM

5,624 posts, read 6,841,543 times
I dont use hair spray now but i used to before my dreads. Not so much hot rollers because they never helped.

Old 05-16-2016, 06:59 AM

16,415 posts, read 12,492,377 times
Rollers haven't become completely extinct, mostly because straight hair has been the trend. Flat irons are much more popular. That's probably why there's less need for hairspray as well ... if your hair is ironed straight, there's no style to hold.

I'm ready for the straight hair trend to die out ... I recently saw a picture of my niece's sorority, and of 100+ girls, more then 95% of them had the exact same stick straight hairstyle in various colors (mostly, but not exclusively blonde)

Old 05-16-2016, 07:02 AM

18,526 posts, read 18,738,593 times
Rollers arent extinct at all but back in high fashion.. some are even wearing them in the streets... Ill get some recent photos for you..Desperate Scousewives board train to London sporting Liverpool's favourite pre-night out look | Daily Mail Online

Old 05-16-2016, 07:42 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,553,761 times
Rollers are primarily used to provide volume, and given that we're coming off a number of years where flattening/straightening irons, straight weaves, etc. have been prominent, any heated tool was used mostly to curve ends under v. create an actual curl, and "big hair" was not the desired look, not surprising they're not v so common.

I've never been a big hairspray user, but, again, it's been mainly used to maintain high-volume styles, which have not been the trend for a number of years.

If you're 28, most of your life had been spent in the era of straightening irons, not one of big, voluminous hair. It'll come back, though. These things always cycle.

Old 05-16-2016, 11:14 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,075,496 times
all of this reminds me of my grandmas back porch on Saturday morning and the smell of perm solutions and hairspray and curlers . Pepsi cola bottles with peanuts in them . Some of my grands older friends came with wigs too . Good memories and good times .

Old 05-16-2016, 11:20 AM

3,125 posts, read 3,021,359 times
I'm 28.

I have a couple of curling irons and a curling wand, but I don't use them anymore. I found a set of hot rollers on sale and bought them, and that's all I use when I curl my hair now. I don't curl my hair daily, but I do use my hot rollers probably once or twice a week.

I use hairspray when I curl my hair or when I straighten it and do a "bump."

Old 05-16-2016, 11:38 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,553,761 times
In the past twenty years, I've probably used hairspray a half dozen times. Every time, it was for a formal occasion requiring an updo (my wedding, Navy Ball), or part of a stage production (my chorale did a concert, for instance, where we did some 80s tunes and we had Big Hair).

I don't put any product in my hair whatsoever on a daily basis, with the exception of a touch of some type of light anti-frizz serum, which is usually some type of plant oil/dimethicone blend, on high-humidity days. On the above occasion where I've had to put some type of fixative in my hair, the sensation/feel is SO gross to me. Even the lightest mist of hairspray, dab of mousse, whatever feels just "ick" in my hair, because I'm so used to it natural, without gluey junk coating the strands. It makes me feel like I got some sticky foodstuff or something in my hair, and grosses me out. Just a sensory thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty