Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2016, 12:26 AM

948 posts, read 921,285 times

Advertisements

I don't think medieval peasants would have like jeans. They're too constricting and stiff, especially tight jeans. Skirts are far more comfortable. Aristocrats were used to constrictive clothing, but peasants preferred more comfortable, loose-fitting clothes.

I think they would have liked high-tech heat absorbing clothes for the winter, like Under Armour, and may have appreciated some lighter fabrics for summer.

I also think that both peasants and aristocrats would like waterproof, knee-high boots with platform heels (for the same reason that high heels were originally invented. )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2016, 11:03 AM

93 posts, read 86,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
I would imagine horseback riding or even riding in a coach on a bumpy road would cause bouncing that could be uncomfortable.

My sister is obsessed with corsets and I've tried a bunch of hers on. Some of them really flatten the breasts and hold them securely, even large breasts. Corsets for larger women probably had thicker stays to provide more support. Of the corsets that I've tried, the ones with laces rather than hooks and the ones with no stretch panels are the most uncomfortable but provide the most support. It would be difficult to do a lot of bending over in a corset, but I guess if you had to wear it all the time, you'd get used to it, or you'd take it off when you were working around the house, and only put it on when you had company or were going somewhere (like a lot of us do with our bras).

So, let's talk about another aspect of life back then...how do you deal with menstruation when you don't have underpants? I read an article suggesting that women didn't have periods as often back then, because of frequent pregnancies, prolonged breastfeeding and poor nutrition, but the author theorized that women simply bled into their clothing. What did American and European women use for menstruation in the past? at MUM That's another thing we should all be thankful for, disposable pads and the underwear to stick them to
What do you think peasant or even noble women back then would think of tampons and those menstrual cups? Honestly, do you think at least for the upper class women that had more resources they could have known enough to devise something like tampons?

Old 06-01-2016, 11:32 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,366,942 times
Women's Hygiene in Tudor England

Old 06-01-2016, 11:46 AM

1,619 posts, read 1,101,550 times
Gross. They didn't have fans or ac back then. They were probably a hot, sweaty, funky, stinky mess. The clothes were beautiful to look at, though. I wonder what they wore when they were just hanging out around the house since there were no shorts and tank tops back then.

Old 06-01-2016, 03:00 PM

32,932 posts, read 36,351,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Thanks for the link. The article, while short, was interesting. The comments are the gem there.

Old 06-01-2016, 03:45 PM

32,932 posts, read 36,351,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pretty in black View Post
Gross. They didn't have fans or ac back then. They were probably a hot, sweaty, funky, stinky mess. The clothes were beautiful to look at, though. I wonder what they wore when they were just hanging out around the house since there were no shorts and tank tops back then.
Not really. If everyone in your class smelled the same, you really wouldn't notice. The wealthy were herbed, powdered, oiled and perfumed. If you, and everyone around you, smelled like a pig farm in August, that would be the norm.

Old 06-01-2016, 04:01 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,105,575 times
They were either hot as hell or freezing their asses off.

Not a whole lot of in between.

Old 06-01-2016, 05:19 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,320,358 times
I think it would be incredibly sexy to dress like that. Might be the Irish in me.

Old 06-01-2016, 06:50 PM

1,571 posts, read 2,816,871 times
Here's an awesome video about the history of makeup (she's also written a book - I've read it and it's fantastic and engaging):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8e5D83P6UI

I think, depending on the era, corsets could have been very comfortable. The ones that were meant to waist-train, or make a woman look smaller - those would be uncomfortable and very restrictive. But a corset meant to actually fit the woman would likely have been comfortable. I know women who have worn them and talk about how well they supported their backs, nor did they get in the way of movement. I've actually thought about getting one.

Old 06-06-2016, 09:55 AM

93 posts, read 86,779 times
Do you think peasant women would have had much in the way of jewelry? And do you think they would spend much time doing their hair, especially without any mirrors?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty