Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2016, 02:05 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by homina12 View Post
I take it you're a bald man?

In truth, media is often mocking the insecurities of bald men. To some extent, they're mocking insecurity in general. But make no mistake, people mock or ridicule or simply draw attention to men who are bald. And they're drawing attention to a trait that typically makes a man at least somewhat less attractive.

I was talking about insecurities in another thread. Going bald tests your sense of self. most men cope well enough over time, a few flounder, and a few come out better for the challenge. I actually think I have, but I'd like to have had the chance to develop a bit more character while keeping my hair.
But so many men are voluntarily bald these days; who can tell which ones are bald by hormonal lottery, and which ones are making a fashion statement? What sense does mockery of it mean in a culture where being bald has become cool, and is emulated by the follicularly well-endowed?

Old 06-11-2016, 04:51 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,766,452 times
I am a bald white man of Scandinavian Blond Ancestry. I have been bald by choice for 20 years. From the day I shaved it off, I have looked 20 years younger than I did when the hair left the top of my head. I am 85 and people guess my age at around 65. When I had that white fringe, they thought I looked 85 when I was 65. It had been a long time since women flirted with me before the day I shaved, but since then I still get hit on quite often, and I mean by very hot women. As I don't play around on my wife, I just shrug it off.

Losing my hair is not a bad thing as far as I am concerned.

Old 06-11-2016, 05:28 PM

Mod cut: Quoted post deleted.

This. There are plenty of white guys (including young white guys) who shave their heads. I don't know how anyone could have missed out on this major trend that's been around for quite awhile, now.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 06-22-2016 at 04:42 PM..

Old 06-11-2016, 05:53 PM

8,757 posts, read 9,464,673 times
Mod cut: Quoted post deleted.

I've seen enough jokes made about Al Roker's, he himself makes enough jokes about his baldness to fill a full comedy routine; SNL is an equal opportunity joke-athon when it comes to men and their heads in general, Charles Barkley and Shaq are regular targets for their heads and other attributes.

How's this from a study, I'm sure I could find many more taken from either point of view.

https://bellatory.com/hair/Are-Bald-...ctive-To-Women

"A recent study by the Mail online states that if you want to look more manly and show your dominant side, then get that razor to your scalp and quick!
Guys with the bald look stand out from the crowd, and appear stronger, taller and just downright powerful!
From the University of Pennsylvania, a lecturer decided to do a study of bald men to see what the effect they would have on the general public.
Three tests were done. The first test was taken by 60 people looking at photos of guys with various stages of hair. Long hair, short hair, partially bald and fully bald.
The results were surprising. Bald guys were the clear winners with the spectators claiming that they were more powerful, influential and lots of authority. (Time.com)
In the second test, the bald guys were shown in two photos. One with hair, and the other shaved. The study showed that not only did they look more professional and dominant they actually looked a few inches taller. Strange result. But it just goes to show the power of suggestion.
In the final study, the participants were given just a description, both verbal and written of the guys in question. In both results the baldy's came out top!
Shaved men were more masculine and, well, lets not beat around the bush here, totally Hot Hot Hot! lol!
But don't despair all you hairy guys, you are still tops out of the women vote all round, but for girls who like their men shiny and smooth they are seen as powerful and downright yummy!"

And

13 Reasons Bald Men Are Sexy ... ? ? Love

Last edited by PJSaturn; 06-22-2016 at 04:43 PM..

Old 06-11-2016, 05:57 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,860,632 times
20 Hot Bald Guys

Old 06-11-2016, 05:59 PM

6,005 posts, read 4,787,522 times
Why does being bald equate to not handsome? That's crazy talk! I see handsome bald men all the time.

Old 06-11-2016, 06:31 PM

Actor Yul Brynner was bald, and considered quite hot in his day. Some women say the bald look is kind of phallic, and therefore quite a turn-on. I've seen naturally bald guys get swarmed with women on a regular basis.

So, whatever. There's a lot of nonsense on TV, best ignored, and not at all reflective of reality.

Old 06-11-2016, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Actor Yul Brynner was bald, and considered quite hot in his day. Some women say the bald look is kind of phallic, and therefore quite a turn-on. I've seen naturally bald guys get swarmed with women on a regular basis.

So, whatever. There's a lot of nonsense on TV, best ignored, and not at all reflective of reality.
I agree with you Ruth, I just showed the SNL skits to show examples of non-white males who are bald being made fun of because of what was said. And even though they do these skits, it's humor that even those guys depicted don't take personally and are frequent guess on the show.

I too see women swarming bald guys, this happens at functions I've attended, young and older it makes no difference, I see it all the time.

Old 06-11-2016, 09:32 PM

5,573 posts, read 3,348,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRosa View Post
I've seen enough jokes made about Al Roker's, he himself makes enough jokes about his baldness to fill a full comedy routine; SNL is an equal opportunity joke-athon when it comes to men and their heads in general, Charles Barkley and Shaq are regular targets for their heads and other attributes.

How's this from a study, I'm sure I could find many more taken from either point of view.

https://bellatory.com/hair/Are-Bald-...ctive-To-Women

"A recent study by the Mail online states that if you want to look more manly and show your dominant side, then get that razor to your scalp and quick!
Guys with the bald look stand out from the crowd, and appear stronger, taller and just downright powerful!
From the University of Pennsylvania, a lecturer decided to do a study of bald men to see what the effect they would have on the general public.
Three tests were done. The first test was taken by 60 people looking at photos of guys with various stages of hair. Long hair, short hair, partially bald and fully bald.
The results were surprising. Bald guys were the clear winners with the spectators claiming that they were more powerful, influential and lots of authority. (Time.com)
In the second test, the bald guys were shown in two photos. One with hair, and the other shaved. The study showed that not only did they look more professional and dominant they actually looked a few inches taller. Strange result. But it just goes to show the power of suggestion.
In the final study, the participants were given just a description, both verbal and written of the guys in question. In both results the baldy's came out top!
Shaved men were more masculine and, well, lets not beat around the bush here, totally Hot Hot Hot! lol!
But don't despair all you hairy guys, you are still tops out of the women vote all round, but for girls who like their men shiny and smooth they are seen as powerful and downright yummy!"

And

13 Reasons Bald Men Are Sexy ... ? ? Love

Going bald isn't the end of the world, but it still makes a difference. I do agree it's more accepted and even preferred than it was 30 years ago, so some of my angst comes from that time when no one with hair chose to shave his head.

Notice your linked story says that men with hair are still preferred (bolded) and while that text is garbled, the upshot of that study was that bald men were seen as more masculine and men with hair more attractive. So....

A study from 2009 from the UK found that women online were 5 times more likely to date men with hair as opposed to bald men. A study in Singapore found that 2/3s of omen there would not date a bald man. I can't seem to create a link right now, but to check my memory I googled "women 5 tomes more likely to date men with hair" and "women in Singapore don't date bald men", if you're interested.

Those numbers are a bit daunting on the surface, although for some men shaving their head creates a look that women tend to like or dislike. It seems in many cases women are not indifferent to men with shaved heads, either liking them quite a bit or not at all, so those #s may overestimate the real impact, but there's still an impact. And some men damage their looks when they shave their head, so it's not a solution for everyone.

I think being bald is less of a death knell than some men make it out to be, but more of a problem than you or Ruth want to believe. You both seem oddly motivated to explain my lived experience to me. Womansplaining, right?

Old 06-11-2016, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homina12 View Post
Going bald isn't the end of the world, but it still makes a difference. I do agree it's more accepted and even preferred than it was 30 years ago, so some of my angst comes from that time when no one with hair chose to shave his head.

Notice your linked story says that men with hair are still preferred (bolded) and while that text is garbled, the upshot of that study was that bald men were seen as more masculine and men with hair more attractive. So....

A study from 2009 from the UK found that women online were 5 times more likely to date men with hair as opposed to bald men. A study in Singapore found that 2/3s of omen there would not date a bald man. I can't seem to create a link right now, but to check my memory I googled "women 5 tomes more likely to date men with hair" and "women in Singapore don't date bald men", if you're interested.

Those numbers are a bit daunting on the surface, although for some men shaving their head creates a look that women tend to like or dislike. It seems in many cases women are not indifferent to men with shaved heads, either liking them quite a bit or not at all, so those #s may overestimate the real impact, but there's still an impact. And some men damage their looks when they shave their head, so it's not a solution for everyone.

I think being bald is less of a death knell than some men make it out to be, but more of a problem than you or Ruth want to believe. You both seem oddly motivated to explain my lived experience to me. Womansplaining, right?
Yes I give, let's continue to focus on the negative aspects. So what if more prefer one over the other either way the point is some do some don't, time to look to see what vibe one is putting out there that is the true deterent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty