Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2016, 03:35 PM

9,884 posts, read 10,974,080 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
Says who?
Says me!
and a lot of other people.
IMO, skinny is NOT pretty!
Grossly obese is not pretty, either.
However, "pleasingly plump" is really quite beautiful!

oh-eve, thanks for the rep, and your comment. However, as a man, I would never call another man "pretty" or "quite beautiful", so the comment is meaningless!

Last edited by Redraven; 06-09-2016 at 04:28 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2016, 03:49 PM

16,071 posts, read 21,144,062 times
OP you have the misfortune of being in the wrong time and place. Portly is no longer the symbol of status and wealth.
Currently, being plump is often seen as a problem associated with lower SES, svelte and toned is now the symbol of status, having the means to devote a lot of time to workouts at a gym, etc.

Old 06-09-2016, 04:10 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,328,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
OP you have the misfortune of being in the wrong time and place. Portly is no longer the symbol of status and wealth.
Currently, being plump is often seen as a problem associated with lower SES, svelte and toned is now the symbol of status, having the means to devote a lot of time to workouts at a gym, etc.
But so many svelte and toned folks have that emaciated, grim expression on their faces.

Many are orange, too.

Old 06-09-2016, 04:43 PM

37,611 posts, read 45,988,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldChina View Post
Indeed!
But there's more to it than that, is there not?
For example, an obsolescent usage of plump is dignified and, and obsolete, stately, see?
No effin' clue what you are talking about.

Old 06-09-2016, 05:06 PM

17,534 posts, read 39,126,512 times
Why do people even respond to these nonsensical trollish threads??????

Old 06-09-2016, 05:13 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,328,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
No effin' clue what you are talking about.
Non-native speaker with outdated English dictionary.

Old 06-09-2016, 05:30 PM

16,071 posts, read 21,144,062 times
It's not completely nonsensical, though I do think OP is perhaps bored and looking to stir the pot a bit. I'd also be willing to bet the OP reads quite a lot, mostly older books, and spends a lot of time pondering over what s/he has read.

Old 06-09-2016, 05:45 PM

7,682 posts, read 1,271,093 times
Thin is where it's been BUT...
Fat is where it's at!

But seriously folks--can't we all just get along??

The only ones profiting from this debate are the media and marketing moguls. Fat-intimidation is no longer selling so big business is finally wising up and jumping on the "fat-acceptance" bandwagon to make a few bucks. Bottom line: IT'S A GAME, FOLKS!

Re-thinking the marketing approach to body image could benefit the bottom line

Marketing “Real” Bodies - The New Yorker

I've lost 25+ lbs, dropped a dress size and STILL have problems finding clothing that fits because I'm short and short-waisted, and pear-shaped so if a dress fits in the bust it's too tight in the hips--get it to fit the hips and I'm drowning in fabric up top.

What really bothers me more is the non-standardization of sizing for women's clothing. Go to any TJ Maxx and pull out a Cynthia Rowley tank top in size L--it looks big enough to be in the children's department. Now go to Macy's and find an Alfred Dunner tank top in the same size--it's down to your knees with arm holes as big as hula-hoops. Petite sizes are supposed to run 5'5" and under but I still have to cut 3 inches off my slacks -- it's what I vexingly refer to as "Amazon Petites."

And I'm not the only one P-O'd by this....

This Viral Facebook Rant Shows the Disconcerting Way Sizing Has Shrunk In Two Years
https://mic.com/articles/144621/this...1ce#.uOCpsqVyd

And for those of you who are "disgusted" by any ounce of fat on a person's body should read this....
A Neuroscientist Tackles 'Why Diets Make Us Fat' And Why Mindful Eating Can Help : The Salt : NPR

Conclusion: Be grateful for the skin you're in--no matter what size or shape!

and my final quote for this rant--from the Man Himself....

Do not judge lest you be judged. For in the way you judge, you will be judged; and by your standard of measure, it will be measured to you. — Matthew 7:1-2

Old 06-09-2016, 06:07 PM

30,902 posts, read 32,998,960 times
Quote:
The thread is too skinny for this
Thus, better, we call it a topic
That has substance, no?
Haiku?

Your meter is a little off...just trying to help. That last line is okay.

This is the second thread of yours (that I've seen) where you've mentioned threatening/non-threatening looks. Is there a reason you feel people are trying to threaten you with the way you look, and specifically, why you would think muscles are threatening? Has something in your past made you feel this way?

For the record, no, I don't find fat more appealing than muscle.

Old 06-09-2016, 06:27 PM

7,072 posts, read 4,820,754 times
Quote:
And here's to D D Cups!
I was thinking it sounds mostly like someone is "in his cups".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty