Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2016, 09:41 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times

Advertisements

In all honesty, you can't REALLY expect that everyone around you will change their habits and behavior to accommodate your particular sensitivities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2016, 10:07 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,872,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
In all honesty, you can't REALLY expect that everyone around you will change their habits and behavior to accommodate your particular sensitivities.
Of course not; if they aren't aware of proper etiquette, I certainly wouldn't expect them to alter their bad habits.

Old 06-16-2016, 11:16 PM

2,813 posts, read 2,113,241 times
Quote:
Thankfully, MOST people seem to understand that if they want to wear to fragrance that they are doing so only for themselves and those they will come in physical contact with. They can't really expect everyone around them will think they smell GOOD, can they?? Even people who don't become physically ill might just think their fragrance is stinky. But I think most people know this.

It's the few folks that think their chosen scent is God's gift to the world's olfactory nerves that might need reminding about keeping their smell to themselves.

Old 06-17-2016, 03:44 AM

8,924 posts, read 5,626,404 times
I seriously wonder about someone's hygiene if they have to apply too much fragrance.

Old 06-17-2016, 09:04 AM

18,527 posts, read 18,748,986 times
Quote:
I dont think you understand how serious Chemical Sensitivites really are Tabula.. maybe you should read about MCS and the symptoms we suffer . I had to leave my workplace 20 years ago as I was so ill with other peoples perfumes , deoderant, air fresheners and cleaners and I worked with pre fives in a creche... so I sympathise with office workers in crowded places with loads of smells to contend with daily..

Old 06-17-2016, 09:54 AM

I understand fine, but the fact remains that it's unrealistic to think you can do anything about what other people do and do not put on their bodies, hair, etc.

Old 06-17-2016, 10:00 AM

18,527 posts, read 18,748,986 times
Quote:
I understand fine, but the fact remains that it's unrealistic to think you can do anything about what other people do and do not put on their bodies, hair, etc.
No no Tabula thats not what Im saying.. People should be allowed to use what they like in their own homes.. but like smoking , pefume should be banned in the workplace as it causes so many symptoms for others.. I know its hard to understand, and I used to love perfume myself and know what your meaning.. but if it makes others so ill surely it has to stop at work.. and in hospitals

https://canadasafetycouncil.org/work...fume-workplace

Old 06-17-2016, 12:56 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,896,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
It's interesting to me that in the U.S., suddenly, there are all kinds of perfume sensitivities.
This is happening at the same time that perfumes are actually becoming much weaker (cheaper for the companies to make them weaker, lots of new regulations limiting usage of certain oils, etc.)

What happens in the Middle East? I am really curious.
The Middle Eastern countries have a long tradition of both women AND men wearing very strong oils and perfumes, often layering them.
When someone comes to your house you burn incense, and offer them oils.
People scent their clothes as well as their bodies.

Are people in the Middle East complaining of "chemical sensitivities" en masse?
How do they manage there, but can't manage in the U.S.?
It's not new.

In my case it's been my entire life.

The MIDDLE EAST?

Having lived in Greece I can GUARANTEE you there is no comparison with here, let alone the Middle East.

Do they have nut allergies there? Is that fake too?

Funny you should ask. Have you ever BEEN to the Middle East?

You'd need to learn about allergies and asthma because there's not enough room in the world to teach that here.

Middle East Hospital

Quote:
Asthma is the term which describes a specific type of breathing problem that arises due to narrowing of the airways. This narrowing is caused when certain natural chemicals within the body are released, usually in response to infection [b]or when the patient comes into contact with something that they are allergic to. The same release of chemicals also leads to inflammation of the airways

The burden of allergic diseases continues to grow worldwide. However, the economic burden in the Asia-Pacific region is higher than that in the United States in relation to the per capita gross domestic product (13% in the Asia-Pacific versus 2% in the United States) and the costs in the Middle East region are yet not well defined. While lack of public awareness is an issue, the number of health care professionals trained in the diagnosis and treatment of allergy is insufficient in many countries so untold numbers of patients go undiagnosed or are undertreated.

The prevalence of asthma in the GCC countries is believed to be relatively high, and there is a particularly high prevalence of asthma among children in the UAE with recent studies showing one in five suffering from the disease. Prof. Pawankar believes that with the trend of increase of allergies in children, there will be a marked increase in allergies in the adult population in 10 to 15 years, “Although genetic factors are important in the manifestation of asthma and allergies, the rapid increase in the prevalence of this disorder cannot be attributed to genetic factors alone. In Asia for example, as communities adopt modern lifestyles and became more urbanized, the prevalence of allergic diseases has been increasing, almost doubling in some countries over a period of 10 years.

Old 06-17-2016, 01:13 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,896,657 times
Quote:
No it isn't. Not when companies start to feel the economic burden of absence, FMLA, decreased work output or God forbid one person who dies from an asthma attack especially if they had been complaining. (like in my office)

And it's already being done. For over a decade. Do you want your newborn choking on perfume? What about cigarette odor or pot? Is that ok to have on your clothing especially in the newborn ICU?

And recommended by the American Lung Association.

http://action.lung.org/site/DocServe...-workplace.pdf

Businesses, governments ban scents to accommodate allergy sufferers

wearing perfume to work | allnurses

https://www.ccohs.ca/oshanswers/hspr...cent_free.html

You don't seem to realize these allergies often turn into sinus infections, not just asthma - which kills people.

FMLA COVERS any time you're out for a "serious medical problem" and that includes ANTIBIOTICS.

Whenever a coworker covered herself in fragrance, all I had to do was tell management I was moving my seat. Wait till it's half the office.

All it will take is one asthmatic who already complained and dies from an asthma attack. Just like the alligator issue was ignored in Disney for 45 years.

Old 06-17-2016, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
No it isn't. Not when companies start to feel the economic burden of absence, FMLA, decreased work output or God forbid one person who dies from an asthma attack especially if they had been complaining. (like in my office)

And it's already being done. For over a decade. Do you want your newborn choking on perfume? What about cigarette odor or pot? Is that ok to have on your clothing especially in the newborn ICU?

And recommended by the American Lung Association.

http://action.lung.org/site/DocServe...-workplace.pdf

Businesses, governments ban scents to accommodate allergy sufferers

wearing perfume to work | allnurses

https://www.ccohs.ca/oshanswers/hspr...cent_free.html

You don't seem to realize these allergies often turn into sinus infections, not just asthma.

FMLA COVERS any time you're out for a "serious medical problem" and that includes ANTIBIOTICS.

Whenever a coworker covered herself in fragrance, all I had to do was tell management I was moving my seat. Wait till it's half the office.

All it will take is one asthmatic who already complained and from an asthma attack. Just like the alligator issue was ignored in Disney for 45 years.
But it IS unrealistic, because it is NOT banned.

I worked for YEARS at a school for developmentally disabled students. We had one student with chemical sensitivities, and his parents asked that the person working one-on-one with him not wear scented anything, including deodorant, and not brushing her teeth or using mouthwash within an hour of seeing him. She agreed. The parents wanted the entire school to comply with that same directive, including other students, which was obviously a no-go.

It is not illegal for individuals into which you may come in close proximity to wear fragranced substances of some type or another. Perfume, shampoo scent, lip balm, the scent of fabric softener on clothing, even smoke on a nonsmoker from them having come into contact with someone who was smoking earlier in the day, exhaust fumes from having ridden the bus...all these things could potentially be triggers for an individual, but they will nonetheless encounter them essentially anytime they are in public, and nothing can be done about it. Even if a workplace chose to make a policy where one would not be allowed to use any scented personal hygiene products, use only unscented laundry detergent to wash their clothing, change clothing upon arrival if they have any environmentally-procured residue such as secondhand smoke or cooking odors or exhaust fumes (which is highly unlikely), people will STILL come into contact with such things in everyday life outside of the workplace, and there isn't really any recourse. You won't be able to tell the woman in the waiting room at the doctor's office that she'll need to leave, because the smell of her hairspray poses a problem, for instance, even if you have some luck with HR at your workplace taking care of a coworker who carries the same scent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty