Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2016, 03:00 PM

1,230 posts, read 992,019 times

Advertisements

Out side of say Manhattan the business district the Los Angeles is more Fashion oriented?

Some very obvious things I have seen.

Los Angeles black jeans, dark jeans, dark blue jeans and black pants.
New York City, Upstate NY, Great Lakes -You still see many people walking around with light blue jeans.

Los Angeles plain t-shirt.
New York City, Upstate NY, Great Lakes = t-shirts with writing, pattern, logo or design on it.

Los Angeles plain hoodie.
New York City, Upstate NY, Great Lakes = more baggy hoodies and baggy sweatshirts.

Los Angeles hardly no one wears Capri jeans.
New York City, Upstate NY, Great Lakes = Capri jeans are still really popular there.

Los Angeles hardly no one wears jean shorts.
New York City, Upstate NY, Great Lakes = jean shorts are still really popular there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2016, 03:18 PM

4,232 posts, read 6,907,661 times
Not sure what you are trying to say here really. And as someone who is from upstate NY and also spent a lot of time in the city, lumping them together here is a pretty odd inclusion.

Also, I spend time in LA and I absolutely see light jeans, especially this time of year. Guys and girls. Light wash, bleached wash, white jeans are all common in the spring/summer fashion in LA (as well as many other places of course, including NYC). Also, I don't know how you compare the plain tee vs graphic tee as you will see tons of both in all places you listed. I also see jean shorts in both NYC and LA in the summer.

This is a very anecdotal thread.

Old 06-27-2016, 09:49 PM

219 posts, read 162,970 times
All regions have their own fashion trends. Most of the time Southwest US will not be on the same trends as Northeast US. It's completely different climates, culture, and people.

Old 06-27-2016, 11:28 PM

4,565 posts, read 5,417,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiecta View Post
Not sure what you are trying to say here really. And as someone who is from upstate NY and also spent a lot of time in the city, lumping them together here is a pretty odd inclusion.

Also, I spend time in LA and I absolutely see light jeans, especially this time of year. Guys and girls. Light wash, bleached wash, white jeans are all common in the spring/summer fashion in LA (as well as many other places of course, including NYC). Also, I don't know how you compare the plain tee vs graphic tee as you will see tons of both in all places you listed. I also see jean shorts in both NYC and LA in the summer.

This is a very anecdotal thread.
Actually, the light jeans in LA part is the ONLY part of the OP I agree with. You almost NEVER EVER EVER see women wearing jean shorts here. If you do, odds are they are the hefty "volunteer at the zoo" type and either middle aged sized 16 mom types or Rosie O'donnel shaped lesbians. You almost never ever ever ever ever ever see fit/thin/attractive fashionable women here walking around in jean shorts. You just DONT.

You are NOT going to see this in LA:

Old 06-27-2016, 11:37 PM

32,933 posts, read 36,351,383 times
I live outside of Philly, and I haven't seen jean shorts in a really, really long time. Capri jeans? Did they ever exist?

Where did you come up with this information?

Old 06-28-2016, 08:59 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,871,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post
Actually, the light jeans in LA part is the ONLY part of the OP I agree with. You almost NEVER EVER EVER see women wearing jean shorts here. If you do, odds are they are the hefty "volunteer at the zoo" type and either middle aged sized 16 mom types or Rosie O'donnel shaped lesbians. You almost never ever ever ever ever ever see fit/thin/attractive fashionable women here walking around in jean shorts. You just DONT.

I find it hard to believe you don't see this in SoCal:

As the super short shorts look is quite popular in the bay, particularly with hipsters who wear it with holey tights. And it is way warmer. Lots of cutoff shorts these days in Norcal. But not the old school mom jean shorts. I see jean shorts quite often. Particularly at outdoor festivals.

Old 06-28-2016, 12:47 PM

4,232 posts, read 6,907,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I agree, I definitely see young women wearing trendy jean shorts in LA. More on girls in their late teens to early 20s but probably on some stretching into their early 30s. I see it here in Dallas too. Of course it's a certain cultural subset that you see it in, but you definitely see it.

Old 06-28-2016, 03:55 PM

1,230 posts, read 992,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
I live outside of Philly, and I haven't seen jean shorts in a really, really long time. Capri jeans? Did they ever exist?

Where did you come up with this information?
Capri jeans are just short jeans. I see many of this in Florida.

And I see still see many guys and girls wearing jean shorts in Florida.

Quote:
The San Francisco or San Francisco bay area is lot more casual in how people dress and look than Los Angeles or San Diego.

Probably why you see more guys and girls wearing shorts.

Old 06-28-2016, 04:19 PM

4,713 posts, read 3,471,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post

Quick! Someone tell Selena Gomez, Taylor Swift, Alessandra Ambrosio. Halle Berry, etc etc. They all wear jean shorts (though the ones you show probably aren't worn in either of those two big cities). Daisy Dukes and LA go hand in hand ( or cheek to cheek as it were). OMG, haven't you all seen those cute denim shorts cut so that pockets show, are purposely slashed, or have that really pretty lace or crochet added? Jean shorts are worn all over the US and probably will be for the foreseeable future.

It is a quintessential American look that is fantastic on fit tanned bodies and young ladies know it. It's not going anywhere...

Oh, and BTW, even mom jeans are back!

Old 06-28-2016, 06:44 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,167,496 times
I think it goes without saying that LA and NYC are more fashion forward than the Great Lakes region
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty