Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2016, 12:05 PM

21,880 posts, read 12,930,704 times

Advertisements

"On the other end of the spectrum, I really hate the hipster style which consists of shredded jeans, dark plaids, shrunken tops that probably wouldn't even fit a toddler, dark and ugly colors, old smelly attire found in the basement of a second-hand store, and anything that kids today will regret wearing five years from now."

Don't forget the man-buns, multiple tattoos and facial piercings, and the constant wearing of knit caps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2016, 12:25 PM

934 posts, read 1,127,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarMaDraMa View Post
Preppy vs. Hipster: which style is uglier?

The ugly side of preppy includes monograms, polo shirts, Bermuda shorts, bulky button down tops paired with chunky vintage-style necklaces, grandpa sweaters, old-people clothes. It blows my mind when I see preppy teens wear the EXACT same clothes their grandparents wear. It also blows my mind how this "preppy" look can still remain in fashion 30+ years later.

On the other end of the spectrum, I really hate the hipster style which consists of shredded jeans, dark plaids, shrunken tops that probably wouldn't even fit a toddler, dark and ugly colors, old smelly attire found in the basement of a second-hand store, and anything that kids today will regret wearing five years from now.

Which style do you think is uglier? I can't choose, both styles are equally hideous!

Preppy. But this post begs the question: What is your idea of the opposite of ugly styles?

Old 07-01-2016, 12:47 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,568,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa2011 View Post
OTOH many of us have discussions in the "Fashion and Beauty" forum for our enjoyment.
And such discussions reveal how different people can be in this regard.. people are calling preppy 'chic' and 'classic' but to me that just screams boring. I think khakis are an abomination and anyone with any sense of style should/would not be caught dead in them.

Old 07-01-2016, 12:57 PM

3,646 posts, read 3,781,229 times
While preppy may be a bit too safe for my taste (I often wear khakis and polos at work), hipsters are just silly.

I recently went to an opera. So many hipster guys wearing suits with slack 4 to 6 inches short with loud colored shoes, and the ladies in everything from bright rags to evening dresses and combat boots. And everyone wearing a knit hat. I never know if it is an outing of unfortunate homeless or insane persons. Appears to be a basic uniform.

Old 07-01-2016, 07:41 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,948,315 times
I don't care what other people wear. And I don't care if you think my monograms & Lilly prints are "ugly".

Once one reaches a certain level of maturity, one concerns oneself with greater matters than what others wear.

Old 07-01-2016, 07:59 PM

3,631 posts, read 7,666,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gfab1 View Post
I'm going to have to go with hipster being uglier. Preppy can be boring, but I wouldn't characterize it as always being ugly.
This^^^ plus male hipsters tend to be illogically full of themselves.

Old 07-02-2016, 10:34 AM

20,321 posts, read 19,909,198 times
Yeah, what's with those (hipster) knit hats, even in the hot, humid summers?

That's gotta make one's hair really stink.

Old 07-02-2016, 11:27 AM

1,433 posts, read 1,508,286 times
I have always loathed the preppy look. I can't stand it.

I'd choose the hipster look over that, though I'm not a fan of that look, either.

I like to dress in a casual way - I'm 61 - but this doesn't mean jeans and tees all the time. I like to wear skirts and dresses during the summer.

Today, for example, I'm wearing a black cotton skirt - knee length - with a black leather belt to help keep it around my frame. I am wearing a royal purple Ravens tee shirt and I have a pair of cork-heeled wedgies on my feet featuring 3" heels. No nylons/stockings, of course - another trend that seems to have gone the way of the dodo.

What about the morose Goth look? If I was younger, I would adopt that look, hell, I wore black nail polish back in the '70s!

Last edited by daynet; 07-02-2016 at 11:36 AM..

Old 07-02-2016, 11:35 AM

1,433 posts, read 1,508,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellpaso View Post
I don't care what other people wear. And I don't care if you think my monograms & Lilly prints are "ugly".

Once one reaches a certain level of maturity, one concerns oneself with greater matters than what others wear.
I can't resist this urge, to quote the late great celebrated playwright, Oscar Wilde: “It is only shallow people who do not judge by appearances. The true mystery of the world is the visible, not the invisible....”

(I'm just teasing you a little)

Old 07-02-2016, 02:41 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,568,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellpaso View Post

I think, when you reach a certain age, you lose interest in fashion, or your fashion choices become, uh, dowdy, for lack of a better word. You begin dressing more for comfort than style. This is why most older people don't dress very fashionably, and think people who dress fashionably look 'silly'. Certainly, a 60 year old woman from the Midwest would look very silly walking the streets of Paris in her loathers and capris. Fashion scorn would no doubt ensue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty